LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

19 minutes ago, zelker said:

@LAFFNVEGAS Lisa - how much was the per night per person charge for CO for this cruise?  Thx.  Barb

For the Nieuw Amsterdam it was $25.00 per person per night. I personally would not do it again. It was rather a test for us to see what it truly offered. We had previously had it but were in a Neptune Suite, we normally do book suites since we had a verandah this time we thought we would try it.

I will admit I liked the two CO entrees I had in the MDR but the servers really needed to know what came with the entree. There were no special Club Orange menus like in the past toward the end of the week they did come up with a CO breakfast menu but it is the same as the regular breakfast menu and never changes.

I think when the Rotterdam comes out it may be worth it for dining but it will be more like $35.00 per person per night.

The true benefit is if one you are a two star or below Mariner and if you are someone that books a guarantee VH balcony and wants to move up to V category. I do not think the benefit to move up is there for Interior, Ocean View or even any of the suites although possibly on the Vista Suite of the Rotterdam, booking a B or BB and if there is an AS on the aft that could make it worth it. I also can see where it is a benefit if you have open dining, they do assist in getting you seated right away but we also had fixed seating.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

For the Nieuw Amsterdam it was $25.00 per person per night. I personally would not do it again. It was rather a test for us to see what it truly offered. We had previously had it but were in a Neptune Suite, we normally do book suites since we had a verandah this time we thought we would try it.

I will admit I liked the two CO entrees I had in the MDR but the servers really needed to know what came with the entree. There were no special Club Orange menus like in the past toward the end of the week they did come up with a CO breakfast menu but it is the same as the regular breakfast menu and never changes.

I think when the Rotterdam comes out it may be worth it for dining but it will be more like $35.00 per person per night.

The true benefit is if one you are a two star or below Mariner and if you are someone that books a guarantee VH balcony and wants to move up to V category. I do not think the benefit to move up is there for Interior, Ocean View or even any of the suites although possibly on the Vista Suite of the Rotterdam, booking a B or BB and if there is an AS on the aft that could make it worth it. I also can see where it is a benefit if you have open dining, they do assist in getting you seated right away but we also had fixed seating.

We normally book suites too (and, like you, are almost 5 star) but have never been on a ship that has the dedicated CO restaurant.  We’re kicking around a 7 night Pacific coast in October on K’dam, not in a suite.  If the price is right for CO we’d try it just for the restaurant benefit.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, zelker said:

We normally book suites too (and, like you, are almost 5 star) but have never been on a ship that has the dedicated CO restaurant.  We’re kicking around a 7 night Pacific coast in October on K’dam, not in a suite.  If the price is right for CO we’d try it just for the restaurant benefit.

I am on the K’dam for the Oct 31 sailing with an ocean view, I have bought the CO for that sailing as it has 2 tender ports (CO gives priority for tenders), I like the complementary Mimosa for breakfast, this will be a first for the separate dining room but on the NA it was nice to be seated immediately in the MDR.  Would love Colorado company for this cruise. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

I am on the K’dam for the Oct 31 sailing with an ocean view, I have bought the CO for that sailing as it has 2 tender ports (CO gives priority for tenders), I like the complementary Mimosa for breakfast, this will be a first for the separate dining room but on the NA it was nice to be seated immediately in the MDR.  Would love Colorado company for this cruise. 

So did charge you $25 per day?  We’ll likely do the cruise on the 10th.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zelker said:

I think for the Konningsdam, it may be worth it but it will cost more, I believe they will charge the $35.00 pp per day but a lot will depend if you want to play the game of getting moved up to the highest category in the type of stateroom you book. Now remember the Koningsdam CO dining venue was not originally built for the special CO Dining but who knows during the pause they may have improved it a bit. From what I had seen before it was not as nice as dining in the Main Dining Room. My understanding the new Rotterdam will be very nice for CO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, zelker said:

So did charge you $25 per day?  We’ll likely do the cruise on the 10th.

It was $30 for my CO add on, I stated that I only would accept a meta upgrade and my HAL rep chuckled.  If I stay with my oceanview category I don’t want to be moved. (It is forward facing OV) I have done CO on the NA and the Zaandam. This will be the first ship with a dedicated dining room.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLC1954 said:

It was $30 for my CO add on, I stated that I only would accept a meta upgrade and my HAL rep chuckled.  If I stay with my oceanview category I don’t want to be moved. (It is forward facing OV) I have done CO on the NA and the Zaandam. This will be the first ship with a dedicated dining room.

Guess we’ll be ok with $30.  We won’t accept an upgrade as we booked one of the sideways facing Vs on Deck 5.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SLC1954 said:

Well it is good they are only charging $30 pp per day. I had to laugh on Friday I got an email for my September cruise offering CO and we are in a Signature Suite for that cruise.....think we will pass.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Well it is good they are only charging $30 pp per day. I had to laugh on Friday I got an email for my September cruise offering CO and we are in a Signature Suite for that cruise.....think we will pass.

Why?  You don’t get CO in a Signature.

7 minutes ago, zelker said:

Why?  You don’t get CO in a Signature.

I know that but I do not want to move staterooms, being 4 star I already have priority embarkation all though not sure that matters right now. We do have open dining but traveling with others that will not have CO. We may only dine in the MD 2 times, I cannot see the benefit. Don't need another bag lol, never word the robes. I think it will be a benefit possibly next year when we sail on the Rotterdam but again traveling with friends that will not to CO so maybe not.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

4 star I already have priority embarkation all though not sure that matters right now.

I'm wondering lately if it matters right now too.  We just got our boarding time for embarkation Sept. 24 in Athens, and we're in Group B.  We're 5-star and will be in a Neptune Suite (first time, yay!!) but it sure doesn't look like priority boarding to me.  Wondering what we'll do between checking out of the hotel at 11:00 and boarding time at 1:20...I know they won't want us there early.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I know that but I do not want to move staterooms, being 4 star I already have priority embarkation all though not sure that matters right now. We do have open dining but traveling with others that will not have CO. We may only dine in the MD 2 times, I cannot see the benefit. Don't need another bag lol, never word the robes. I think it will be a benefit possibly next year when we sail on the Rotterdam but again traveling with friends that will not to CO so maybe not.

I totally agree.  As another 4* - almost 5 and would have been if not for darned COVID! - I think the SS suites are the best deal going.  I have never seen the benefit of CO.  

Edited by T8NCruise
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

I think the SS suites are the best deal going.  I have never seen the benefit of CO.  

I agree 100%.  CO was designed to be a revenue enhancer for the cruise without providing significant benefits for the cruiser.

As this HAL cruiser discovered:  if one wants a bit of "exclusivity" and that exceeds such "exclusivity" offered by booking a Neptune Suite, one must try a MSC Yacht Club Suite that can be booked for a competitive price to what HAL charges for such "exclusivity".  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree 100%.  CO was designed to be a revenue enhancer for the cruise without providing significant benefits for the cruiser.

As this HAL cruiser discovered:  if one wants a bit of "exclusivity" and that exceeds such "exclusivity" offered by booking a Neptune Suite, one must try a MSC Yacht Club Suite that can be booked for a competitive price to what HAL charges for such "exclusivity".  

That or I would also suggest NCL Haven. While I have not tried MSC, I love the Haven Suites on NCL and think they are leaps ahead of HAL's Neptune Suites which is why I actually will not book a Neptune but would take an upsell offer. But with NCL all I will book is a Haven Suite have been doing that for several years. Have our September Nieuw Amsterdam cruise our next two cruises on in Haven Suites on NCL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

That or I would also suggest NCL Haven. While I have not tried MSC, I love the Haven Suites on NCL and think they are leaps ahead of HAL's Neptune Suites which is why I actually will not book a Neptune but would take an upsell offer. But with NCL all I will book is a Haven Suite have been doing that for several years. Have our September Nieuw Amsterdam cruise our next two cruises on in Haven Suites on NCL.

Lucky you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

That or I would also suggest NCL Haven. While I have not tried MSC, I love the Haven Suites on NCL and think they are leaps ahead of HAL's Neptune Suites

I have looked at NCL Haven.  They are not offering the MSC YC experience, I don't think.  (Don't care for the overall NCL product of which I am aware which also influences my thinking, I believe.)  A reasonable upsell to a Neptune Suite?  I have accepted such.  Was I pleased?  Yes.  Was it a MSC YC experience?  No.  

• Like 1

Lisa, I have enjoyed your trip report and have a question. I am on the 8/21 cruise and will be taking the same excursions you took. 

Were mosquitoes a big issue on any of them? I will have my repellent with me. I was bitten while visiting the lake during a Misty Fjord flight tour. It was so bad that I had to seek treatment from my dermatologist when I got home. I was treated with antibiotics and steroids. 

I will have my repellent with me but wondered if you encountered many mosquitoes. Thanks 

2 hours ago, ann1bell said:

Lisa, I have enjoyed your trip report and have a question. I am on the 8/21 cruise and will be taking the same excursions you took. 

Were mosquitoes a big issue on any of them? I will have my repellent with me. I was bitten while visiting the lake during a Misty Fjord flight tour. It was so bad that I had to seek treatment from my dermatologist when I got home. I was treated with antibiotics and steroids. 

I will have my repellent with me but wondered if you encountered many mosquitoes. Thanks 

Definitely no problems with mesquitos on our cruise. I have to admit in all my cruises to Alaska I have never seen a mesquito but then the majority of our cruises to Alaska have been in early May or early September. This past one was our first ever in July. Although I have not done any trips to Misty Fjord and can see where there might be mesquitos there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 6:01 AM, julia said:

Ferry:  Will you be working on Sept 25?  I'd love to say hello before we embark (we were on the May 2020 canceled Solstice roll call).

Hi Julia, most likely working just as you walk in: "Passports, proof of vaccination, negative covid test results?"  Re your question re testing - try this lab at the Fishermen's Terminal located close to Pier 91. You want the $189 test.

I can recommend the Bay restaurant also located at Fishermen's Terminal for breakfast, and Chinnoks for lunch or dinner.  Check their schedule.

Would be nice to say 'hello' on the 25th!

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/offer/fishermens-terminal-testing/

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi Julia, most likely working just as you walk in: "Passports, proof of vaccination, negative covid test results?"  Re your question re testing - try this lab at the Fishermen's Terminal located close to Pier 91. You want the $189 test.

I can recommend the Bay restaurant also located at Fishermen's Terminal for breakfast, and Chinnoks for lunch or dinner.  Check their schedule.

Would be nice to say 'hello' on the 25th!

https://discoveryhealthmd.com/offer/fishermens-terminal-testing/

@Ferry_WatcherSo great to hear from you... we will look for you on the 25th!  We have tests scheduled here in Boise on the 22nd, with a backup plan at SeaTac on the 25th (flying up early on Sat).  Thx so much for the helpful information!

• Like 1