What Happens if you Test Positive on your COVID Test before Returning to USA?

LewiLewi

I understand that you must have a negative test to get onto the ship, pre cruise. But what happens if you test positive at the end of the cruise, prior to getting back to the USA? Yes, I am vaccinated, but people can test positive anyway, occasionally. What happens then?

This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to cruise at this time.

25 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I understand that you must have a negative test to get onto the ship, pre cruise. But what happens if you test positive at the end of the cruise, prior to getting back to the USA? Yes, I am vaccinated, but people can test positive anyway, occasionally. What happens then?

This is one of the reasons I am hesitant to cruise at this time.

You would not be allowed to fly until negative tests.  Again the rules/guidelines are changing often.

DW and I have August 2022 cruise scheduled.  Not willing to deal with the uncertainty for a few more months. 

You should begin self isolating for the recommended period of time per CDC guidelines. You can use medical proof of COVID positive diagnosis in lieu of negative test to then board a flight. Your travel insurance should cover the isolation/quarantine and flight changes - make sure you've purchased some.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, floatn said:

You should begin self isolating for the recommended period of time per CDC guidelines. You can use medical proof of COVID positive diagnosis in lieu of negative test to then board a flight. Your travel insurance should cover the isolation/quarantine and flight changes - make sure you've purchased some.

Sorry, but a lot of travel insurance companies will not insure for COVID. Many have done that since the start of the pandemic. Make sure they do before you rely on that fact. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Sorry, but a lot of travel insurance companies will not insure for COVID. Many have done that since the start of the pandemic. Make sure they do before you rely on that fact. 

Yes.  Exactly.  You have to read the fine print.  Some will cover the medical portion, but not quarantine expenses.

This is the same question I have and am not clear by the responses or from the Celebrity FAQ.  A bit unclear about testing.

• I am vaccinated and can show proof.
  • I am in the US and flying to FLL I understand I do not need a test at the cruise terminal.
  • Port of calls are Key West, Cozumel, Jamaica, and most likely Nassau.
  • Do I get tested on the ship before disembarking at the end of the cruise with port at FLL and flying to my final destination in the US? When is that test administered? 

Jelayne, I am confused about your statement. You are saying that if you are flying r/t in the domestic U.S. you do not need a negative test? We fly from Michigan to Fll, fully vaccinated do not need a test to fly. However, upon return from our cruise, the ship should be handling the obtaining of the Covid test probably on the Thursday before disembarking in Port Everglades. That is my understanding. 

I have been told that we do not need a test to fly home from Florida. 

Same as if fly to Florida stay a week and get on a plane and fly home no test needed.  
If I have been told incorrect info it not really a problem because if a test is needed it will be in order to disembark in Florida, ( enter the US)  whether or not you are flying or driving to another state. If that is the case at the time of your cruise Celebrity will test all passengers before arrival at the port.

5 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Actually many have recently added epidemic riders to cover just such situations. Allianz in one I can name off the top of my head and there are others.

• Like 1

If you test positive at any point during your trip, you will not be getting on a plane or cruise. You will be going straight to a hotel to quarantine. This is just going to be a reality of traveling until Covid is ‘over’ (if ever).

The end of cruise COVID test is not to meet the mandated testing for air travel to return from international destinations but is one of the many protocols cruise lines have instituted to mitigate the spread of the virus. They don't want to be responsible for sending pax off into the vast world if they have COVID. Instead, they would send you off to isolate for the specified duration.

I'm ok with getting tested as many times as they want.  

Curious if the testing that they do is via nasal swabs or cheek swabs. 

I've not had the  rapid test only the nasal one that take about 1-3 days for results.  My health care provider required them prior to some very minor procedures as part of their protocols.   

31 minutes ago, floatn said:

Actually many have recently added epidemic riders to cover just such situations. Allianz in one I can name off the top of my head and there are others.

Allianz did add Covid coverage but it is not in effect for every state. We have had Allianz annual policy  for 6 years and when I called to check the change to the coverage has not been approved by the regulatory boards in all states.  So when I checked the coverage is not in effect for policyholders in Texas.  

42 minutes ago, clivey said:

Vaccinated passengers aren’t being tested before disembarking at Port Everglades.

Which makes sense, since the only U.S. Gov testing requirement I’m aware of for people entering the U.S. is for people entering by air.