Starting to worry about Carnival Pride cruise in September

Covid cases are rising again in all 50 states across U.S. as delta variant tightens its grip (cnbc.com)

The weekly percentage gains in infections and hospitalizations has me wondering about whether our September 12 cruise will sail.  On one hand, I see the stats that say ~98% of recent hospitalizations are unvaccinated people (I've seen about five numbers in the past couple days, ranging from "over 97%" to 99%).  Many of us read the very sad article Babr shared which included hearing people begging to be vaccinated as they're about to be intubated.  One government official stated the point we're at now is like in a horror movie, when you think things are all over and credits about to roll, then it all starts up again.  That's scary.

So since Carnival went the "unvaccinated route" I feel there's a better chance than the lines that are allowing unvaccinated cruisers, but policy changes could come from sttes, CDC, cruise lines...

At the very least, I would expect they will extend mandatory testing to everyone by September.  Beyond that there is spectrum of other theatrical actions they could take like masks and distancing.  One of these days the media is going to pick up on these "post cruise" positive tests and that's going to create some scrutiny.  While I don't think there will be a "shutdown", there will be cancellations due to ship specific outbreaks.

• Like 1

It will be what it will be.  I know that doesn't help, and I am usually a HUGE what if person, but not much we can do but hope for the best and plan for the worst.  We are booked in August, Sept, Oct, and Nov. and I will be glad just to get 1 in at this point.

If this spills over to cruising again, and things do shut down.  We will just relive the last 16 months until it clears again.  IF they have to change policies and start requiring new things like testing, insurance, face masks, etc. we should be allowed to decided to cancel or roll over again (Carnival has been good about this with everyone on these July-Oct Cruises so far)

• Like 1

I'm holding off on buying anything until September, just in case. I live in NJ 2.5 hours from the port so I just have to get in the car and drive there. If it cancels, I'll just move that and the 600 to another time. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. In my county alone, the daily totals have tripled since July 4th and still climbing. I'm sure quite a few people are saying that in different places. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

At the very least, I would expect they will extend mandatory testing to everyone by September.  Beyond that there is spectrum of other theatrical actions they could take like masks and distancing.  One of these days the media is going to pick up on these "post cruise" positive tests and that's going to create some scrutiny.  While I don't think there will be a "shutdown", there will be cancellations due to ship specific outbreaks.

The science says fully vaccinated passengers that don't have symptoms don't need to be tested. Everyone knows vaccines alone are not 100% effective and additional proven effective steps such as physical distancing and masks are possible.

Shore excursion options are likely to come under scrutiny, as that seems the likely culprit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

It’ll be fine but you said carnival went “the unvaccinated route” as well ….. As long as they do vaxxed only it will be fine.  I plan on sailing the panorama in august. 

Thanks - I meant "vaccinated route"...

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My brother and his family are also sailing in September.  As long as covid outbreaks on the cruises are contained, I think you should be ok.  Have there been any reports of covid cases on cruises since Carnival started back up?

Has not really been publicized. There was one person on here a few days ago that said that a Carnival ship was denied docking at a port because 6 people had covid, but thats 100% hearsay, has not been verified as truth. Horizon and Breeze are showing under investigation from the CDC currently, so yeah, it's safe to say that covid is happening. Nothing indicates a stoppage, as the protocols dictate a certain percentage of passengers have to be infected before that cruise has to end/no sail for that ship, which has not happened yet

• Like 1

Intrepid, I share your concern. BUT, I know I can only control what is in the realm I can control. I'm beginning to become very stoic about all of this. If it ,happens, it happens and there's not a damn thing I can do about, except roll with the punches and accept whatever may happen, will happen. 

It would not surprise me in the least that our cruise scheduled for Aug. 21 gets cancelled for the 4th time. If it does, we will simply request a refund, and either book an AI in Puerto Aventuras , or spend a week...or 2 at WinStar, and play the slots! :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, pogoism9 said:

Has not really been publicized. There was one person on here a few days ago that said that a Carnival ship was denied docking at a port because 6 people had covid, but thats 100% hearsay, has not been verified as truth. Horizon and Breeze are showing under investigation from the CDC currently, so yeah, it's safe to say that covid is happening. Nothing indicates a stoppage, as the protocols dictate a certain percentage of passengers have to be infected before that cruise has to end/no sail for that ship, which has not happened yet

I just left Horizon a few days ago and haven't dropped dead. We weren't denied docking anywhere. There is a lot of inaccurate reporting, assumptions, and hearsay going around, not to mention false rumors.

I think there is one possibly credible report of someone who tested positive after our cruise, and it seems they may have been exposed in one of the ports. Their spouse has no symptoms, and no reason to be tested.

Some like to attack the CDC, but the CDC is the only one I would trust to collate Covid statistics from cruise ships.

• Like 1