Walk to Mahahual beach?

cruiseelady

2 hours ago, cruiseelady said:

Has anyone actually walked to Mahahual beach  from the cruise port?   How hard or easy it is to find?

If you are active it is certainly possible but whether it is worth it is entirely up to you. There have been reports of people doing it.

you can get an idea from google street view. You can do a “virtual “ walk. It will be a hot and not particularly interesting walk. It was better before the hurricane, before the port was enclosed by walls and fences, and you could walk along the coast.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

We have walked it. There are sidewalks and/or pedestrian paths the entire way. We walk at least 3 miles a day in Florida so we are used the heat. That said, it was hot. We stopped at a little market along the way and got something to drink. 

• Thanks 2

There is a path off a back street to your left as you go out the port gate that leads down to the beach and you can walk all the way to the malecon.  That said. it's still a long hot walk  So cheap to take the port tram or a taxi.

I agree about the walk being long and hot. If you aren’t used to walking in the heat I would not attempt it. The shuttle is very inexpensive and you can catch it right at the port. 

I agree, it can be done but it's usually HOT. We did it once !  Didn't talk to my husband for the rest of the day  after finding out it was a 4.00 air conditioned taxi ride! That was 5 yrs ago and I still don't let him forget it. Best part was meeting Mauricio at the Krazy Lobster . He stood outside with a free margarita....after about an hour's walk in the 95 degree heat, he was my new best friend.😍

• Haha 5

• 3 months later...

I’ve done it. Definitely bring more water than you think you need I remember it taking about 45 minutes and thinking it was around 3 miles each way. Most of the path is a pedestrian walkway through neighborhoods that’s shaded. The last stretch to the lighthouse and into town is in the sun. 

If you are in decent shape and walk or hike regularly it’s a nice way to burn off some cruise food and check out the actual neighborhoods where people live.  There were some beautiful flowers and several iguanas along the way. 

• Like 1