Conditions at Amber Cove and private tours

wgeddings

I saw an old post from 2017 about private tours but I am hoping someone has been recently and can let us know about things now since cruising resumed.  Are private tours operating?  Are most things open again?  Any recommendations, notations or advice?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I will post a more comprehensive report but please be VERY careful about Amber Cove.  The port area is fine (gated so no locals can get in) but outside the port, there is nothing until you get to Puerto Plata which is about a 15 minute drive.  Streets there are very narrow and traffic laws appear not to exist.  I strongly encourage you not to try to drive yourself.  The Amber Museum, cable car to the top of the mountain, the statute of Jesus are all closed as of 8-5-2021 and not expected to open.  Masks are required all of the time unless actively eating or drinking.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We were just there last week (Nov 2021) and the Amber Museum was open, Del Oro Chocolate Factory, Macroix Rum Factory, and Fortress of San Felipe were open. 

I agree about not driving yourself - it was crazy!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, V_V said:

We were just there last week (Nov 2021) and the Amber Museum was open, Del Oro Chocolate Factory, Macroix Rum Factory, and Fortress of San Felipe were open. 

I agree about not driving yourself - it was crazy!

Did you take a cab to these places?  I am interested in the Brugal Rum Factory and the Cable Car.  Just wondering how much a cab would cost.

Thanks

Tom

On 11/25/2021 at 8:21 AM, TomAndJane said:

Did you take a cab to these places?  I am interested in the Brugal Rum Factory and the Cable Car.  Just wondering how much a cab would cost.

Thanks

Tom

The tour was on a small bus (like a hotel shuttle bus) so I do not know the prices of cabs. You might want to check and see if Marysol Tours will create a custom tour for you and how much that would cost. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:34 AM, frenchmeg said:

Hello,

Can we go to Playa Dorada beach? Should we book an excursion? our ship is not offering beach excursions.. 

we will be there in a month

thks!

If you can find an excursion, I would book it.