Sorry to report - reality of C19 Bahamas

tinaincc

Context: we just completed the 7 day Bahama cruise on Saturday and enjoyed it. We did not fully contemplate the risk and I write this hoping it helps others.

our friends (group of 6) and us had a lack of communication and we accidentally booked the wrong week. So we embarked on July 17. Had a great cruise. We did meet a man who tested positive at the port but then tested negative with a PCR test and joined the cruise (at his expense) In Bimini.

the other 6 were to embark on July 24. One person tested positive at the port. No symptoms. She and her husband stayed back while they had a PCR test. Unfortunately she is now confirmed positive and confined to the Nassau Marriott with no ability to leave her room there is armed security outside her door. She must remain there for 14 days and they will not test her in the interim.

Based on this experience I would strongly encourage travelers to test (rapid) the day before US departure. If positive you could stay home: she is absolutely devastated, she cannot use medical evac or private plane as BOTh require negative Covid test to return to uS. 

we were fortunate to have made it thru OK but we did not fully evaluate the risk of testing positive before or at the end of the trip. The level of support from anyone at Crystal is non existent. All should be aware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Context: we just completed the 7 day Bahama cruise on Saturday and enjoyed it. We did not fully contemplate the risk and I write this hoping it helps others.

our friends (group of 6) and us had a lack of communication and we accidentally booked the wrong week. So we embarked on July 17. Had a great cruise. We did meet a man who tested positive at the port but then tested negative with a PCR test and joined the cruise (at his expense) In Bimini.

the other 6 were to embark on July 24. One person tested positive at the port. No symptoms. She and her husband stayed back while they had a PCR test. Unfortunately she is now confirmed positive and confined to the Nassau Marriott with no ability to leave her room there is armed security outside her door. She must remain there for 14 days and they will not test her in the interim.

Based on this experience I would strongly encourage travelers to test (rapid) the day before US departure. If positive you could stay home: she is absolutely devastated, she cannot use medical evac or private plane as BOTh require negative Covid test to return to uS. 

we were fortunate to have made it thru OK but we did not fully evaluate the risk of testing positive before or at the end of the trip. The level of support from anyone at Crystal is non existent. All should be aware.

+1…. This is absolutely what travelers have to consider these days before they book anything.  I think most of us are fine with it and take it in stride, but you need to understand the risks, take precautions, and plan accordingly so you’re not surprised or caught off guard.

Vince

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

And……I would for sure buy additional insurance, not just the Bahamas health insurance

Did you and/or  your friends have travel insurance behind the Bahama health insurance?

30 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Did you and/or  your friends have travel insurance behind the Bahama health insurance?

I did but my friend unfortunately did not: actually it seems like it doesn’t matter as the end the medivac companies are saying the need a negative c19 test to transport with is absolutely insane IMO. My friend is stuck, imprisoned i. A 12x12 room for 15 days due to US govt regulation. 

This is why I say test before you leave the US. She flew to Nassau the day of embarking.

People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise.  Act like you aren't vaccinated and take the same precautions that you took a year ago, to the extent possible.  Wear masks, stay out of crowded indoor places, keep to your pod, avoid unvaccinated people including children. And respect each other - don't ask people to remove their masks or do anything else stupid.  Some of the reports and photos of the last few cruises are frankly mind-boggling.   Vaccinated or not, we are still in the middle of a pandemic. Cruising now is the ultimate luxury, but everyone needs to be smart about it. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise.  Act like you aren't vaccinated and take the same precautions that you took a year ago, to the extent possible.  Wear masks, stay out of crowded indoor places, keep to your pod, avoid unvaccinated people including children. And respect each other - don't ask people to remove their masks or do anything else stupid.  Some of the reports and photos of the last few cruises are frankly mind-boggling.   Vaccinated or not, we are still in the middle of a pandemic. Cruising now is the ultimate luxury, but everyone needs to be smart about it. 

I agree with you to an extent. The CDC stars that if you are vaccinated you are highly unlikely to transmit C19.they also say that non symptomatic should not be tested.  If that is true then why are US citizens being banned from entering the US. 

bottom line , everyone cruising should be OK with 15 day quarantine before or after the cruise and we just never even considered that possibility.

There is no Marriott in Nassau.  Did they say the Courtyard which is under the Marriott umbrella.

Its just common sense to get tested before you fly to Nassau.  I did on the day before my flight just to be safe.  Others I spoke to onboard did also.  Most drug store chains do the PCR or rapid for free.

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I agree with you to an extent. The CDC stars that if you are vaccinated you are highly unlikely to transmit C19.they also say that non symptomatic should not be tested.  If that is true then why are US citizens being banned from entering the US. 

bottom line , everyone cruising should be OK with 15 day quarantine before or after the cruise and we just never even considered that possibility.

Glad you had a good cruise despite the  mix-up in weeks with your friends’ and your friend’s hotel confinement.   In brief the rationale for your friend not being allowed to return home...... The CDC issued an Order  in January 2021 requiring proof of a negative Covid-19 test result or recovery from Covid -19 for all airline passengers entering the US from a foreign country.  The Order applies to all airline passengers including US citizens and legal residents.   As for medical evacuation/private plane etc....there is a company called CovacGlobal which will evacuate/repatriate a person back to the US for care/treatment should a person be diagnosed with Covid-19 while traveling but you need to be a member etc prior to travel.  The “premium” is less than cheap but probably less than 14 nights at a Marriott property hotel in Nassau.  Hopefully your friend  is at the Courtyard and not the Royal at Atlantis which is also a Marriott property. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your post.

Excellent advice.

While taking a COVID-19 test shortly before leaving doesn't guarentee you won' have COVID-19 on the day of arrival it certainly increases your odds of not having it should your results be negative when you take the test.

As to the insurance each one is different.  There are companies as has been mentioned out there (and I believe the Crystal insurance is one of them) where if you got COVID-19 you would be transported on a private aircraft so you could leave as soon as the plane is ready to take you back to the USA.  

If it is not possible to quarantine before the trip I would minimize interaction as much as possible with others.

And on the day of the trip use as much care as possible.  If you are driven to the airport by a friend or by a driver it is really a good idea for everyone to be wearing masks and to keep the mask on at the airport.  As I mentioned in another thread the airports in the USA are very crowded and even though there is non stop announcements about wearing masks too many people were not wearing them or getting around it by doing things like holding a cup in their hands.  

Even at the Convention Center where the tests were being conducted lots of people sitting down at the round tables with no masks on.  I know it wasn't a requirement to wear the mask but I moved a chair over to the wall so my wife could sit and I stood for a very long time with her until I finally got a chair to sit down and we both wore masks.  

Keith

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

Glad you had a good cruise despite the  mix-up in weeks with your friends’ and your friend’s hotel confinement.   In brief the rationale for your friend not being allowed to return home...... The CDC issued an Order  in January 2021 requiring proof of a negative Covid-19 test result or recovery from Covid -19 for all airline passengers entering the US from a foreign country.  The Order applies to all airline passengers including US citizens and legal residents.   As for medical evacuation/private plane etc....there is a company called CovacGlobal which will evacuate/repatriate a person back to the US for care/treatment should a person be diagnosed with Covid-19 while traveling but you need to be a member etc prior to travel.  The “premium” is less than cheap but probably less than 14 nights at a Marriott property hotel in Nassau.  Hopefully your friend  is at the Courtyard and not the Royal at Atlantis which is also a Marriott property. 

Thanks for this info. She seems to have found an option for return travel. She and her husband will know more in the AM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisr said:

There is no Marriott in Nassau.  Did they say the Courtyard which is under the Marriott umbrella.

Its just common sense to get tested before you fly to Nassau.  I did on the day before my flight just to be safe.  Others I spoke to onboard did also.  Most drug store chains do the PCR or rapid for free.

Not sure what your point is here but she said Mariott. She was put there by the Bahamas Health Minister’s program. There is a guard outside her room, it is downtown. Due to the circumstances we did not discuss the hotel in detail as we were focused on other topics like getting her and her husband out of the country.

Myself, my husband and our other 6 friends did not go and get tested before we left the US and that was the point of my original post. If I had to do it again I would have. 

Not one person I encountered on the ship pre-tested. We debated this topic quite a bit when we learned on day one that someone was denied boarding due to a positive test (false positive) and was allowed to board in Bimini.

Do you test before every flight/trip or was this a special case?

Thanks for posting their experience. It's important for people to know that this is a very real possibility and plan accordingly.

We plan on isolating for 2 weeks prior to traveling, and follow our personal travel protocol which is similar to Keith's. I guess we will add a rapid test prior to leaving the US.

Is the Courtyard the only quarantine property in Nassau? 

Please keep us posted on your friends experience during their quarantine. Sorry this happened to them.

I just received a text from her. They were able to find an air ambulance company (not sure the name but I will find out) that will be taking them to Fort Lauderdale at 11:30 this AM. From there they will rent a car and drive to TX where we all live.

There are also rooms at other resorts as well. I know that the Baha mar has isolation rooms for you if you were to test positive while at the resort. The problem my friend had is she flew in the morning of the cruise and went straight to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update number 2 : she is using Trinity Air, she is at the Courtyard and said it is comparable to a Motel 6. 

Turns out she did take a rapid test on Friday to be safe and was negative. Thankfully, still no symptoms.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JFontaine said:

You made a statement, "People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise."  It doesn't matter.  My wife and I thought the exact same way, we continued to wear masks, socially distanced, and did not go out except for the grocery store.  She got Covid-19 8-days prior to our cruise.  We were super careful and have been much more careful then most.  We also live in Alabama where it is one of the worst states for taking the Vaccine.  

On being careful on the actual cruise.  I think you are referring to the guest that made a reference to asking her butler to take off his mask.  That was an unfortunate use of words and emphasis on certain words.

Taking a test prior to cruising is a MUST.  Having good travel insurance is a MUST.  Using the right credit card that also has an insurance cancellation component is a MUST. Using good business judgement on the actual cruise is a MUST.  AND knowing what a foreign government will do is you are in their country with a Positive Corvid Test is a MUST.

Funny, we got lucky.  Let me say, really lucky.  A blessing really. We found out pre-cruise or travel.  No one should have to be isolated in a hotel for 14 days with not control of getting out.  No one.  Just my thoughts on the matter. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You made a statement, "People need to get serious the few weeks before and during the cruise."  It doesn't matter.  My wife and I thought the exact same way, we continued to wear masks, socially distanced, and did not go out except for the grocery store.  She got Covid-19 8-days prior to our cruise.  We were super careful and have been much more careful then most.  We also live in Alabama where it is one of the worst states for taking the Vaccine.  

On being careful on the actual cruise.  I think you are referring to the guest that made a reference to asking her butler to take off his mask.  That was an unfortunate use of words and emphasis on certain words.

Taking a test prior to cruising is a MUST.  Having good travel insurance is a MUST.  Using the right credit card that also has an insurance cancellation component is a MUST. Using good business judgement on the actual cruise is a MUST.  AND knowing what a foreign government will do is you are in their country with a Positive Corvid Test is a MUST.

Funny, we got lucky.  Let me say, really lucky.  A blessing really. We found out pre-cruise or travel.  No one should have to be isolated in a hotel for 14 days with not control of getting out.  No one.  Just my thoughts on the matter. 

I do not like hearing that your wife is fully vaccinated, you took precautions and she still got infected? 🤬. Why did this occur?  Mind boggling to me. 😱

2 minutes ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

I do not like hearing that your wife is fully vaccinated, you took precautions and she still got infected? 🤬. Why did this occur?  Mind boggling to me. 😱

Makes little sense

Nancy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I feel terrible that your wife got it and you will miss your cruise, that you did everything right and she still got it is especially scary. The resurgence of the virus and what I've read here has made me rethink my own behavior and improve whatever I can.  I was wearing surgical masks the last few months: they are now gone in favor of three ply masks with a filter.  Not N95, but better.  I will continue to reevaluate how I can minimize my risk and I thank everyone who has posted about their experiences.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

Mind boggling to you, it is that times 10 to us.  And yes Nancy, it makes little sense to us as well.  My purpose in posting is to say be careful everyone. Use good business judgement.  Still, even with the Vaccine, you can still get Covid.  It won't be as bad, but you can still get it.  The issue is you will get over it also.  I still say, you are safer on a fully vaccinated cruise ship then in your local grocery store.  Especially in a state that thinks getting vaccines is a bad thing.  

• Like 2

We are taking extra precautions ALL THE TIME.

IMO we are little better off than we were before the vaccine because of all those refusing to vaccinate and the variants which can cause breakthrough cases.

This is going to be the way it is for a long time to come.

We will cruise but only on a fully vaccinated ship

BTW  the Courtyard is not like a Motel 6.

It's like every other Marriott Courtyard - basic hotel with Marriott perks

We stayed there pre cruise in a suite (Titanium upgrade LOL) with ocean view

Service was great and the food in the Bistro is usually good.

I shipped luggage there pre cruise and they took care of it

We stay at Courtyards pre flight everywhere when it's only one day and we do not need resort amenities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

We need to remember a few things.  The variant is the new dominant and I believe spreads six times faster than the original.  And the past couple of weeks is when it has come to the forefront in the USA. Second, the vaccine does not provide 100% efficacy.  Third even with precautions such as the wearing of masks it isn't 100% effective.  WIth that said the more precautions you do take it "should" minimize the chance of getting COVID-19 but as soon as you put your foot out the door there is some risk.  

On top of this we have in the USA three different vaccines and not everyone gets the precise benefits of a specific one and so many other factors come into play from ones current health situation to their age, etc., etc., etc.

Keith

• Like 3

They are finding that the Pfizer is only 39% effective against the Delta variant in Israel. 

Even if this number is wrong and its 70% it is not 100%

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

They are finding that the Pfizer is only 39% effective against the Delta variant in Israel. 

Even if this number is wrong and its 70% it is not 100%

in Israel, the 39% effectiveness against the delta variant was from an extremely small sample of elderly people who received the vaccine early on in December and January.  I heard this last week several times.  One person that provided the context was dr. Scott gottlieb.  

yes,  the vaccines against any of the variances are far from 100% effective and the delta variant is concerning.

Nancy

• Like 2