Interesting people you've met on a cruise or traveling

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not familiar with Barbie Dolls outfits???

I have never seen a Barbie Doll dressed like that woman. Usually they're less covered up😂 unless it's a ball gown Barbie which if that was what the pictured woman was wearing I would consider over the top. Perhaps our market has different Barbie varieties to yours probably why the reference went over my head. Still I can't say that pictured outfit looks extravagant to me🤔. In my world it looks pretty mundane, different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have never seen a Barbie Doll dressed like that woman. Usually they're less covered up😂 unless it's a ball gown Barbie which if that was what the pictured woman was wearing I would consider over the top. Perhaps our market has different Barbie varieties to yours probably why the reference went over my head. Still I can't say that pictured outfit looks extravagant to me🤔. In my world it looks pretty mundane, different strokes for different folks I guess. 

You don’t see head-to-toe PINK with bleach blond hair at an Omani mosque very often- in fact, how about never.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You don’t see head-to-toe PINK with bleach blond hair at an Omani mosque very often- in fact, how about never.

Oh well that makes more sense now. I never been to Oman so I didn't make the connection but I suppose if they are anything like the UAE bright colours would be unusual around a mosque, though on the street I always thought Oman was more liberal about colours than their neighbours? At least that is how they present in the documentaries😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

A tablemate of mine on my 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise aboard Volendam was a lady whose name was Shirley.  She lived in Southern California and was a retired professor who taught at USC or UCLA (I don't recall which).  She was a widow, but when her husband was still living, the couple had traveled the world.  She was a veteran of HAL long cruises, had previously visited some of the ports on our itinerary, and had most interesting stories.  I was a neophyte to long cruises at that time and learned much from her experiences.  (She kind of became a mentor for me during that cruise.)  Good, interesting conversations other than travel occurred.  By the time we reached Los Angeles, we had become friends.  We kept in touch, sharing our travel experiences, and I was delighted to discover that she would be sailing on the 2007 World Cruise.  I had booked the final 17 day segment of that cruise.  We resumed our friendship immediately that first day after I boarded.  Shirley had developed somewhat of a reputation during the cruise as a "loner".  When others noted that we were often together, I heard a rumor that "Shirley has a boyfriend."  We were friends and nothing more.  We shared many of the same interests and enjoyed each others company.

After the cruise was over, we continued our friendship and kept in touch frequently.  Until she passed.  I was thankful that one of her children was thoughtful enough to inform me of her passing.  I cherish my memory of her.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My memory of colors that that I saw in Oman was monochromatic:  tan.  I did not find it to be a colorful country whatsoever.  

Next time I go to Europe I am hoping to stop in Oman so I guess I'll see how much truth was in those travelogues. I especially want to visit Salalah, it is supposed to be lush and green though with my luck of weather it will probably be the one year it doesn't rain😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Next time I go to Europe I am hoping to stop in Oman so I guess I'll see how much truth was in those travelogues. I especially want to visit Salalah, it is supposed to be lush and green though with my luck of weather it will probably be the one year it doesn't rain😂

Oman? “One and done”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oman? “One and done”

If I am understanding correctly I think you are trying to say you didn't like Oman? For me personally I have a fascination with the Dhofar Mountains and it is kind of my bucket list experience to visit during its famous Salalah Monsoon season. I find the whole pop up rainforest thing so intriguing. 

13 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If I am understanding correctly I think you are trying to say you didn't like Oman? For me personally I have a fascination with the Dhofar Mountains and it is kind of my bucket list experience to visit during its famous Salalah Monsoon season. I find the whole pop up rainforest thing so intriguing. 

I would be very interested in learning what you experience so that I can compare it with my experience.  I would never think of using the words "lush and green"  as a result of my visit to Salalah.  

Mary Ellen was another experienced HAL long cruise guest whom I met on a few cruises.  She liked to sit at the Crow's Nest Bar as did I.  (That's how I got to know her.)  She was well known by the crew and whether it was formal night or not, she would usually ask for a small flask of "formal nuts" (not those ordinary peanuts).  "Formal nuts" are Mixed Nuts.  And, she got them.  

A very accomplished woman:  a Bachelor of Science in Physics, Cum Laude from Brown University, a Juris Doctor degree from University of Washington School of Law, a Commissioned Officer in the United States Marine Corp during the Korean War, and graduated with honors from the Naval Justice School.  She practiced law with a large firm in Seattle for 25 years before she retired.  

I enjoyed many interesting conversations with her.  She had visited many of the ports that were new too me and gave me many suggestions.  I never knew when I would find myself on the same cruise as Mary Ellen.  But, I always was glad to see her at the Crow's Nest Bar on that first night at sea.  

I miss her as a pleasant, welcoming person and as a fellow cruise guest.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I would be very interested in learning what you experience so that I can compare it with my experience.  I would never think of using the words "lush and green"  as a result of my visit to Salalah.  

The lush and green is only during the monsoon season during July, August and a bit into September and then it turns back into desert. If the rains don't come or not enough you don't get the lakes, waterfalls and greenery. Like the Aurora Borealis you need a bit of luck to see the pop up rainforest phenomenon😂 so I may end up with the same view as you, not that would be totally bad for me. Dhofar Mountains is still pretty spectacular looking and being the most ecologically diverse place on the Arabian Peninsula makes it still interesting🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 1

I once met a guy in Oman who was, at the time, in charge of port security. He was a European and told us some horrendous tales of the justice system there. This was when amputations were common place. Whilst he was on board a native labourer tried to grope one of the officers wives. He was detained and handed over to this guy. He told us that if she ‘pressed charges’ the guy would be imprisoned for several years. She declined😇

Alas, I have met may people who ‘thought’ they were interesting but they were the only ones who though so 😁

19 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The lush and green is only during the monsoon season during July, August and a bit into September and then it turns back into desert

Thanks for your post.  That explains the difference in what I saw.  My visit to Oman was in either February or March.  

I enjoyed what I experienced although the Tomb of Job seemed to be more of a tourist trap than an actual Tomb.  

But, as a previous poster implied:  this country is a "been there; done that" on my list.  

• Like 1