U.S. won't lift travel restrictions, citing spike in Covid delta variant cases - July 26, 2021

Jim_Iain

Just announced that White House will not be lifting travel ban for most noncitizens who within the last 14 days have been in the U.K., European Union nations, Ireland, China, India, South Africa, Iran and Brazil.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/u-s-won-t-lift-travel-restrictions-citing-spike-covid-n1275014

May affect a number of Celebrity Cruisers who coming in from the UK.       There is no word if they will lift the ban for Canadian as was planned.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just announced that White House will not be lifting travel ban for most noncitizens who within the last 14 days have been in the U.K., European Union nations, Ireland, China, India, South Africa, Iran and Brazil.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/u-s-won-t-lift-travel-restrictions-citing-spike-covid-n1275014

May affect a number of Celebrity Cruisers who coming in from the UK.       There is no word if they will lift the ban for Canadian as was planned.

never been a ban on Canadians , we always could flight only ground boarders are closed  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, seaview7 said:

Yep we are due to sail on the Equinox in November after re-booking from last year.

Guess maybe 3rd time lucky next year!

At the moment what restrictions the US does or doesn't have are irrelevant. The FO advice is that UK nationals should not take International cruises and until that advice changes your travel/medical insurance is invalid. You must have insurance to cruise therefore gretably, just like us, you can't go. The FO's definition of an International Cruise (updated 17 July) is any cruise that begins, ends or calls at any port outside of the UK

Allegedly our numbers are diminishing again although I wonder if so many youngsters who are getting mild illnesses are reporting/testing. However I would not welcome Brits at the moment, likewise the States is having a pandemic of the unvaccinated and I would not go there. Perhaps in the Autumn.

In the meantime off on a Staycation on the Silhouette.

Did go to Ayreshire & Islay on an earlier Summer holiday and the weather was terrific.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

There is nothing that would encourage me to fly into Florida to get on a cruise ship. 
I am double vaccinated and wouldn’t entertain the prospect of sailing with non vaccinated passengers.

The Governor of Florida needs to re access his non vaccination policy, otherwise the state will loose many, many winter tourists.😱

Plus Florida is having a huge surge in delta cases

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Florida is #1. It leads the rest of the country in Covid  cases.

Hey in 2021 Florida won the Super Bowel and Florida won the Stanley Cup. Would anyone be surprized if they didn't win the Covid race too? 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Our Canadian government is still advising us to avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice. I still see a lot of Canadian posters booked and ready to travel in the next month. I won’t be cruising for awhile, maybe fall of 2022.

• Like 1

The delta variant is also already here all over the USA.  The danger is from (and to) people not getting vaccinated.  Not from vaccinated travelers from the UK or Canada.  I personally feel that all of the media attention and government attention and new restrictions on the delta variant is to try to get more people to get vaccinated.  I hope it works! But most vaccinated are protected from serious illness from delta.  But there is a mounting hysteria which unfortunately will reverse some of the hard fought normalcy enjoyed currently by the vaccinated.  People please just get vaccinated!!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LewiLewi said:

My brother is a physician at a large Miami hospital. Serious cases are now including totally vaccinated people. 

That can happen of course.  But it is a lot less likely if you are fully vaccinated than non-vaccinated.  By far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

That can happen of course.  But it is a lot less likely if you are fully vaccinated than non-vaccinated.  By far.

Problem C --  'Breakout Cases" from fully vaxxed  (see previous post by @LewiLewi)

Causes --  unknown,  emerging issue.  Thought to be rare but too soon to tell.

Problem D ---  The Delta Variant

Causes  -  increased difficulties for containment.  Not getting better.

Problem E   -   The Un-Vaccinated and what to do

Causes -   Increased difficulty to achieve herd immunity

(Problems A and B were the communication vax issues for Canadian)

At this point,  just shouting out to the un-vaccinated here on CC may not be productive.   

Public Health Agencies who are advertising to get vaccinated are not getting traction,  but we can see they are trying.

These agencies need to 'target market' the unvaxxed and see why there is a problem,  that means they need to do a 'market' analysis and developed targeted messages to these groups,  hoping to get some of them motivated and vaxxed , which by process of elimination would show us who is leftover in the remaining groups.   Exclude religious, health and other bona-fide exceptions and you are left with a motley crue who may be avoiding the vax drive-through.

The generals planning the battle need to address the possibility that the plan to reach herd immunity may never be reached because of Problem C,D and E and may need to re-assess whether that is still a reasonable strategic and tactical plan.

As long as those remaining unvaxxed cannot be tracked down,  then an elusive virus variant like Delta may survive or proliferate.    (or it becomes endemic?)

comments?

Edited by JRG

2 minutes ago, JRG said:

Exclude religious, health and other bona-fide exceptions and you are left with a motley crue who may be avoiding the vax drive-through.

If only we could figure out a way to get Motley Crue vaccinated anonymously.

How do you get a Rock Star vaccinated anonynously ?

How do you give anything anonymously?

They have to ask for it if they know it remains confidential.

Use one of those Las Vegas re-mailing services?    It can't be anything that is illegal or void where prohibited.   It would be easier if the vax were in pill format.

Unfortunately my earlier post today (#12) seems to be coming true with the CDC now revising its mask policy for indoors in certain parts of the country.  So if the unvaccinated will not get a vaccine in these states and areas, then why would they follow new mask guidance either?  So the vaccinated need to continue to be restricted because of the stubborn number of unvaccinated.  Delta or whatever the next variant emerges will still be handled if more and more get vaccinated.  Sorry but at this point the US needs to move to mandatory vaccinations or this pandemic will just go on and on.  I know people here will vehemently be opposed but I don’t care.  I want to cruise mask free and Covid free.  Things are going the wrong way again.  Frustrated.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

California just minutes ago issued a recommendation of wearing masks inside for both vaccinated and vaccinated in ALL COUNTIES IN CALIFORNIA.   California is currently following recommendations of the CDC.  

I started wearing mine again during my daily visit to Starbucks late last week.   I noticed today all the guests in the shop were wearing mask but the complete staff were mask-less.    They only started dropping masks about 4 days ago.   Will be interesting to see if this changes tomorrow.    I'll have to ask them as I am such a regular they all know me by name and yell out greetings when I come in.  

• Like 1

News tonight is that Biden will be requiring all Federal employees to be vaccinated or face constant testing.  I believe an announcement is expected on Thursday with details.  Hopefully this will encourage more private sector employers to insist on the same. 

I find it perplexing that the entire problem is some people’s resistance to vaccinations in certain states in the US.  And the solution is to get more people vaccinated.  Instead the CDC has issued new guidelines on requiring the vaccinated to wear masks indoors.  This then further convinces the unvaccinated that vaccines are useless and reinforces their stubborn resistance.  And many of these folks would not wear masks anyway. So they restrict the vaccinated and reinforce the unvaccinated.  Seems crazy to me.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 9:09 AM, the penguins said:

At the moment what restrictions the US does or doesn't have are irrelevant. The FO advice is that UK nationals should not take International cruises and until that advice changes your travel/medical insurance is invalid. You must have insurance to cruise therefore gretably, just like us, you can't go. The FO's definition of an International Cruise (updated 17 July) is any cruise that begins, ends or calls at any port outside of the UK

Just been changed. 

033C3651-A1C5-45BD-AB84-562721F544E5.png

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I find it perplexing that the entire problem is some people’s resistance to vaccinations in certain states in the US.  And the solution is to get more people vaccinated.  Instead the CDC has issued new guidelines on requiring the vaccinated to wear masks indoors.  This then further convinces the unvaccinated that vaccines are useless and reinforces their stubborn resistance.  And many of these folks would not wear masks anyway. So they restrict the vaccinated and reinforce the unvaccinated.  Seems crazy to me.

What is really perplexing to me are health care workers who refuse to be vaccinated.    When they saw the ICU's backed and people dying hourly I would think they would want to be protected.

It really makes me wonder what would have happened if we allowed  people to refuse  to have our Small Pox and Polio shots.

I'll get off my soap box and I was lucky enough get an appointment the first weeks the vaccine was available.    It made me feel like I won the lottery.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:09 AM, the penguins said:

That’s changed today and international cruises are now given the all clear to sail from the UK.  But travellers are still restricted from entering the US.