Transatlantic to US port - no entry if within 14 days prior ….

bob&france

So I’m a Canadian booked on a 14 day Transatlantic from Barcelona to Florida with 1 stop also in Spain on day 2. Upon arrival I will have been in a Schengen country within 14 days and thus ineligible to enter the USA it seems.

Has anyone had any response from RCCI regarding this issue ?
thx Bob

Yes the cruise is Oct 31 so we have time except final pyt is Aug 2, although we do have the. 48 prior to cruise cancellation option. We booked flights with the cruise line but would have  $250 p/p penalty to cancel the flights.

We are also on this cruise and unless the US entry requirement changes it would appear we would not be able to enter the US.  If Royal allows us to board I would imagine when we landed in the US 12 days after Malaga they might fine us like Canada does when people are not following the rules.  Alternatively, Royal denies us boarding and we get to spend 2 weeks in Europe before having to find a flight home.

So I just read the presidential proclamation concerning this travel ban.  From what I read, and I am no lawyer, but it looks like we can enter the US.  

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

Pay attention to Section 2.a (ix).   

Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. 

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(ix)    any noncitizen

So who is banned?  Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain it.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

So I just read the presidential proclamation concerning this travel ban.  From what I read, and I am no lawyer, but it looks like we can enter the US.  

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/01/25/proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-non-immigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease/

Pay attention to Section 2.a (ix).   

Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. 

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(ix)    any noncitizen

So who is banned?  Perhaps someone smarter than me can explain it.

I am neither a lawyer nor claim to be smarter than you, but I think you need to read on past (ix) noncitizen and include sub clauses A and B.

The Proclamation, if still in force at the time of the Harmony TA sailing, means that non-US citizens will be ineligible for entry into the US.

2 hours ago, Magicat said:

We are also on this cruise and unless the US entry requirement changes it would appear we would not be able to enter the US.  If Royal allows us to board I would imagine when we landed in the US 12 days after Malaga they might fine us like Canada does when people are not following the rules.  Alternatively, Royal denies us boarding and we get to spend 2 weeks in Europe before having to find a flight home.

I cannot imagine any scenario in which Royal would permit passengers to board the ship in Barcelona who are clearly ineligible to enter the US.

I have challenged RCCL to reply to this situation however all they can say is that the protocols specific to this cruise are not yet out. Seems like we either cancel our Flights we booked via RCCL to avoid the penalty if we have to cancel, cross our fingers for a revised travel advisory allowing us  into the USA , or just cancel the whole trip move our fcc and stop all the stressing.

Flights cancelled today…we’ll follow the progress and hope for the best. Cruise with confidence allows us to cancel up to 48 hours prior if things haven’t worked themselves out. Risk of higher flight costs but we can make that desicion when and if the other issues get resolved. Worst case an FCC .  

• 2 weeks later...

So I just did our check in for our Royal Caribbean transatlantic from Barcelona which has us in a Schengen country within 14 days of arriving in the US. Due to the Presidential proclamation not allowing non US citizens into the US who have been in a Schengen within the past 14 days it appeared we could not take the cruise….BUT Royal’s on line check in asked us if we would be in the US for more than 8 hours after disembarkation which has us thinking they found a loophole and perhaps the cruise is possible.

Anyone had this happen to them too ?

I hate to sound negative, but I'd check into that a bit further before getting your hopes up. From what I've read, they won't even let Schengen visitors et al. fly into the US in transit, getting off one plane and flying out to another country without leaving the airport.

For questions regarding entry into the US, the US Consulate in Montreal asks that you address your questions to the US Customs office at Montreal’s Trudeau Airport. Their local phone number is 514-636-3875. It might be worth a call to see if they can help clarify the situation. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Although HAL has started informing  it’s non US clients about this issue, and advising them that due to the proclamation they are unable to take the cruise ( the various TA’s they have sailing back to the US within 14 days of being in a Schengen country ) Royal still has said nothing despite our calls advising them of the problem. 
We cancelled for a full refund.

There might be a loophole that you can investigate. Appears those with a C1 visa could transit through. Canadians automatically enter on a B1 or B2 which is barred. But looks like someone could apply and pay for a C1. Something to look at.

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

There might be a loophole that you can investigate. Appears those with a C1 visa could transit through. Canadians automatically enter on a B1 or B2 which is barred. But looks like someone could apply and pay for a C1. Something to look at.

Unfortunately, your potential visitor status does not take precedence over COVID-related entry restrictions.  

On 9/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, bob&france said:

Although HAL has started informing  it’s non US clients about this issue, and advising them that due to the proclamation they are unable to take the cruise ( the various TA’s they have sailing back to the US within 14 days of being in a Schengen country ) Royal still has said nothing despite our calls advising them of the problem. 
We cancelled for a full refund.

We were on a TA disembarking on Nov 14 in Florida. HAL had cancelled the cruise on us. CDC and the US Federal government still has a ban on cruise ship travel for international travellers. Which means only US passports and those identified eligible are allowed into US. All international travellers...including Canadians are not allowed in the US. The crew which is international is allowed in as the are deem essential (they have to sail the ship and take care of the US passengers). 

Interesting enough many of the EU countries lumped Canadians with the restrictions they gave the US, even when our infection rate was 30 times lower and lower than many EU countries. Some of the requirements were PCR or antigen test 48 hour before arrival and taking ship's shore excursions. 

All the cruise lines heading to US from other countries will be facing the same process. 

HAL gave us a choice of other itinerary next year or refund. The next cruise did not work for us as we already had a cruise scheduled as well has HAL did not honour the view and verandah promo which we paid for.  

Hey everyone, good info….the cruise lines knowingly took our money, the proclamation was on Feb 2/20 under Trump and renewed by Biden. We are Canadian and only want to travel but the cruise lines knew the protocols and did not advise us….shame on them and our booking agents.

“The policies for entry into the United States continue to restrict all noncitizens who have been physically present within the Schengen Area, the UK, Ireland, Brazil and South Africa within 14 days prior to their planned arrival into the United States. This means only US Citizens may sail on the Celebrity Apex Transatlantic voyage departing October 10, 2021.  Non-US Citizens would not be able to meet the above Travel Requirements as the cruise visits Spain which is in the Schengen Area.”…….from the Celebrity web site…shame….I guess if I were American, I would never be exposed to COVID when I was in Spain or Portugal!……

8 hours ago, duncanmyrnaross said:

Hey broberts…..understood. All I am suggesting is that we will all be equally exposed and equally careful and equally tested before arrival in the US…..and we would be on an airplane out of the US and headed home to Canada within a few hours of arrival in the US,  you would be staying…..

I was pointing out that US authorities have no choice when it comes to citizens. The matter of likely exposure doesn't enter into the thinking.

16 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Thank you so much for all this info about visiting Schengen countries.  We will make sure our flight from Amsterdam next Aug flies directly to Vancouver and does not stop in the US if this rule still applies then.

Hopefully, by then this restriction will no longer be necessary. 🤞

On 9/18/2021 at 9:09 PM, duncanmyrnaross said:

Hey everyone, good info….the cruise lines knowingly took our money, the proclamation was on Feb 2/20 under Trump and renewed by Biden. We are Canadian and only want to travel but the cruise lines knew the protocols and did not advise us….shame on them and our booking agents.

“The policies for entry into the United States continue to restrict all noncitizens who have been physically present within the Schengen Area, the UK, Ireland, Brazil and South Africa within 14 days prior to their planned arrival into the United States. This means only US Citizens may sail on the Celebrity Apex Transatlantic voyage departing October 10, 2021.  Non-US Citizens would not be able to meet the above Travel Requirements as the cruise visits Spain which is in the Schengen Area.”…….from the Celebrity web site…shame….I guess if I were American, I would never be exposed to COVID when I was in Spain or Portugal!……

What about non-US crew ???