Montreal to Quebec City

cantgetaname

I'd like to go from Montreal to Quebec City on a trip   but I don't drive and my french isn't very good and I don't drive.   Is that an expensive trip or very difficult?   Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.   The flights to Montreal are a lot cheaper from me than direct to Quebec City.  I would need to take the trip back to Montreal to fly home.    

Assuming that we're discussing post-pandemic travel, it is easy and convenient to travel between Montréal and Québec. The bus company Orléans Express operates an hourly express service between the two cities, and the journey requires about 3 hours 15 minutes. A small number of the Orléans Express buses travel directly to and from the airport in Montréal, but all buses will stop at the central bus terminal in Montréal. If the direct airport trips are not conveniently scheduled, then the local transit system, STM, provides service on its express route 747 between the airport and the central bus terminal. There are also a few trains between the two cities, operated by Via Rail Canada, each of which require about the same travel time, but the infrequency of the trains may render them less usable. A full fare bus ticket is less than $60 CAD. The ticket agents at the bus terminals and train stations in both cities are bilingual, so inability to communicate well in French should pose no difficulty. Some bus drivers may not fully bilingual, but there should not be much difficulty.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, cantgetaname said:

The flights to Montreal are a lot cheaper from me than direct to Quebec City.  I would need to take the trip back to Montreal to fly home. 

Personally I would take the train-- especially with pandemic things still afoot I would prefer to have the added personal space a train would give vs a more cramped bus. I have taken the train numerous times between the two cities and its super easy and relatively inexpensive. 

Air Canada also has routes between Quebec City and Montreal. While a bit more expensive than the bus or train the main benefit is, if you are already just headed to Montreal airport anyway, you save a bunch of time, arrive airside, and you won't need to take a taxi from Montreal city center to the airport. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, cantgetaname said:

I'd like to go from Montreal to Quebec City on a trip   but I don't drive and my french isn't very good and I don't drive.   Is that an expensive trip or very difficult?   Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.   The flights to Montreal are a lot cheaper from me than direct to Quebec City.  I would need to take the trip back to Montreal to fly home.    

Don"t worry every one speek english and you can go to Quebec city from Montreal by train or coach. I am from Montreal 

2 hours ago, Eva Legault said:

Don"t worry" every one speaks English

Largely true in Montréal (less so in Québec), but there are a good number of people who know English but refuse to use. (Some may relent and speak English with Americans, as their ire is with Canadians whom they believe ought to know French.) In the hospitality industry, including major providers of transportation (and in particular both Orléans Express and Via Rail Canada), bilingualism is a given, and only rarely will a militant Québec nationalist refuse to communicate in English. I see no problems in getting transportation from Montréal to Québec knowing only English.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

We (English speaking American's) spent a week pre-cruise in Quebec City and actually heard no one speak French.

It really depends on where you go . . . around the Château Frontenac that would not surprise me. On the other hand, walking down Boulevard Charest you probably will hear no English.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

It really depends on where you go . . . around the Château Frontenac that would not surprise me. On the other hand, walking down Boulevard Charest you probably will hear no English.

Agree. Years ago we stayed in a pension in Quebec City for a few nights and little English was spoken in the immediate neighborhood . (I can't remember exactly where it was but it wasn't all that far from the more touristy area near Chateau Frontenac.)

• Like 1