How wheelchair friendly is Half Moon Cay

misguy

• 5 weeks later...

I emailed Carnival's shore excursion dept. about taking a wheelchair to Half Moon Cay. Here is what they said.   ' Yes you can take the wheelchair on to the island.

The main area is all flat terrain (concrete) this is where the souvenirs, main bars, bathrooms, medical center is located, however there are sidewalks from that area going to the buffet line – this walk is about good 10 mins at leisure. You could make it with no issue. The only thing that you need to know is that not all water shuttles to get ashore have a ramp to accommodate wheelchairs, there is only 1. So, when getting off the ship you must wait for the right one to get onboard. Staff will help you so expect some wait time before this happens. Turnaround of boars is about 30 mins.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.'

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:50 PM, lubedobedo said:

I emailed Carnival's shore excursion dept. about taking a wheelchair to Half Moon Cay. Here is what they said.   ' Yes you can take the wheelchair on to the island.

The main area is all flat terrain (concrete) this is where the souvenirs, main bars, bathrooms, medical center is located, however there are sidewalks from that area going to the buffet line – this walk is about good 10 mins at leisure. You could make it with no issue. The only thing that you need to know is that not all water shuttles to get ashore have a ramp to accommodate wheelchairs, there is only 1. So, when getting off the ship you must wait for the right one to get onboard. Staff will help you so expect some wait time before this happens. Turnaround of boars is about 30 mins.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.'

That is accurate information based on what I have observed.  

On 7/30/2021 at 7:28 AM, CruiserBruce said:

, but they have a balloon tired wheelchair for going on the beach to a cabana, for example

I have not seen this type of wheelchair, but I do not doubt that CruiserBruce has seen this.  

• 3 weeks later...

I will be there next week and will do a full set of videos about wheelchair and the island.  I am also taking a Joy on the Beach wheelchair so it will be easy to travel on the sand.  If anyone has any special request for things to cover post it here.

3 hours ago, misguy said:

I will be there next week and will do a full set of videos about wheelchair and the island.  I am also taking a Joy on the Beach wheelchair so it will be easy to travel on the sand.  If anyone has any special request for things to cover post it here.

Wishes for a wonderful cruise experience for you!  

7 hours ago, misguy said:

I can't wait to see your video! Thanks. If I could get your opinion on where is the best place to get chairs w/one of those covers that would be somewhat close to bathrooms and lunch place? I will be pushing husband in wheelchair so any tips I can get now would sure help! Thought about getting a cabana but price is kind of high to me so I went with the chair cover.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jeepchick444 said:

I have on and off walking issues in sand is there a tram for getting to the cabanas? ty 😎

Yes. Although how close it gets depends on the cabana. There is a road that runs behind the cabanas, but not up close. Anywhere from 10-30 yards, give or take.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeepchick444 said:

I have on and off walking issues in sand is there a tram for getting to the cabanas? ty 😎

From what I recall, there will be a need to walk in the sand for a short distance.  The tram does remains on the paved roadway.  

I know darn well, with my stability issues, I'd be a fool to try to walk in the sand.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, misguy said:

Can you post a link to your video?  Thanks!

I will be working on editing videos for the next few weeks, but there is at least one tender that can handle scooters and wheelchairs.  There are also some beach wheelchairs that are available to the left as you enter the main area on the island.  Those beach wheelchair are not particularly easy to push, but they will get you down to the water.  There is a paved path to the dining area, and it goes further, though it is not easy in a manual wheelchair.  the walking area is narrow as well.  The dining area has paved access to all the tables, so that was easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...