The Daily for Saturday July 31, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like avocados and mutts. Cotton candy is too sweet for me. I worked on the boardwalk summers as a teenager, and cotton candy, salt water taffy and candy apples were all around.

Good quote.

Ham is good, but not for today. I like the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. 

I got a lot done yesterday. First I had to clean up all the bark from the shedding sycamore out front. Then edged and finally mowed. Today is shrub trimming. I just put together the handles on my new hedge trimmer. I was out a bit and saw one of my few big tomatoes was missing; then found it out front with a chunk bitten out. Deer (although my outdoor camera should have picked it up)? Squirrel? Something else?

@kazu Good news about your friend's DH.

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tans and Miss Camilla.

@grapau27 Lovely pictures.

@Crazy For Cats How exciting!

@StLouisCruisers Oh no. These breakthrough cases are scaring me!

@cat shepard Oh my, great pictures. That climbing on the glacier looks so treacherous! Not for me.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

Squirrels! They are constantly taking our tomatoes @nd running along our privacy fence with them

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

@cat shepardthank you, thank you for the Iceland pictures and your wonderful descriptions. My DH and I visited Jokulsarlon and we too loved our ride on the glacier lagoon. We lucked out and had one of those rare sunny summer days.

I did the glacier hike your friends did. “Intense” was a good word for it. It was by far the most physically challenging and on the edge thing I’ve ever done (can’t believe I did it at age 70!). Several of us gals were talking in the restroom beforehand about our worries over whether we were fit enough for it. Most of us were older, retired, like me, but one woman was slightly younger, a nurse who worked long shifts, always on her feet, she felt pretty confident. After our hike over the rock strewn beach just to get to the base of the glacier, she gave up and sat it out on a large boulder. I’m glad I did it, I proved something to myself, but in reviewing that activity, we suggested they needed to make it clearer just how strenuous and dangerous it could be. They called it a glacier hike which was a bit too innocuous for what was an amazing climb.

I am loving your food descriptions. No one had really prepared me for how fantastic my meals in Iceland were going to be. I realized later I had taken no pictures of the food (too busy eating I guess). I am totally hooked on Skyr.

St Louis Sal

D89A83F7-8C3C-4C5A-8B8B-4BD14AA6EEE5.jpeg

114D410A-E947-406F-A13B-3C0204F14F81.jpeg

52F8945E-BF3B-47BC-A841-DE982E410345.jpeg

9210F495-F81E-4E89-8410-C845738C7840.jpeg

339E2709-6D77-4CDF-A854-3ECD4C235BC1.jpeg

Sally, thank you for your photos too.  It looks like it was a beautiful day

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

For National Avocado Day, here are some avocados from our orchard…Nabal, Hass and Fuerte.   I think that orchard is what stands between me and my ideal weight.  The Nabals are my favorite — they’re really creamy, but don’t ship as well as others, so you don’t see them often.

60192397-B84F-451F-A561-96BEE766BC06.thumb.jpeg.4629a8a334f78d4c75f29cc75108d487.jpeg

Beautiful!   We get some lovely varieties in Hawaii,  all so good! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all.  It's the end of July, and August approaches.,  I am not happy about this, it means I am another year older and still waiting to get out of here on a cruise.  I have been very discouraged the last few days, but I am happy to see some good things happening here on this thread, and great photos of places and animals.   I have a feeling that Graham, @grapau27, is a fish and chips connoisseur!  

We had a few drops of rain earlier, but it seems to have stopped, at least the air seems a little fresher.  We really need more, now the forecast is perhaps next Thursday.  

I wish we had a mutt right now.  We have had some lovely ones over the years.  Some were smarter than we are!

image001.jpg.9b10a6b0926ad830e13e8a5506837bcb.jpg

Oh my!  Why am I not surprised it’s a Labrador! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I was out a bit and saw one of my few big tomatoes was missing; then found it out front with a chunk bitten out. Deer (although my outdoor camera should have picked it up)? Squirrel? Something else?

If I was a betting person, with a tomato with one bite out of it and then thrown away, I would say deer.  Pre-fence days, they would come right on my deck and take my tomatoes and then spit them out.  Dam deer.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

7C995ADF-84AF-4B42-A6B2-1542DEF5651D.thumb.jpeg.73afef199d47bf74b427da3113d15702.jpeg

Your Mum looks fantastic.  Hard to believe her age!

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
Good news about my DSIL, they have stopped the daily IV antibiotics.  
@kazu great news about your friends DH!  
@Quartzsite Cruiser stunning photos,  always have wanted to visit there ! thank you!  
The smoke will be here a while longer, sadly.  

5989D157-1CCB-4D81-AA24-B6C33C9FF562.jpeg

A real shame about your smoke.  Pretty pic except we know it comes from smoke 😔 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all.  It's the end of July, and August approaches.,  I am not happy about this, it means I am another year older and still waiting to get out of here on a cruise.  I have been very discouraged the last few days, but I am happy to see some good things happening here on this thread, and great photos of places and animals.   I have a feeling that Graham, @grapau27, is a fish and chips connoisseur!  

We had a few drops of rain earlier, but it seems to have stopped, at least the air seems a little fresher.  We really need more, now the forecast is perhaps next Thursday.  

I wish we had a mutt right now.  We have had some lovely ones over the years.  Some were smarter than we are!

image001.jpg.9b10a6b0926ad830e13e8a5506837bcb.jpg

Thank you Ann.

It sounds like Happy Birthday wishes are in order for you.

I do like nice fish and chips but TBH before my mild heart attack on December 18th 2019 I would always have steak or gammon but have had neither since although I had roast beef Sunday lunch several weeks ago.

Take care.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

A real shame about your smoke.  Pretty pic except we know it comes from smoke 😔 

Thanks,  we are lower than our ten plus days thankfully, but need to mask outdoors so not much fun! 

A garden question.   My jalapeño is blooming,  does it need another plant in order to pollinate?  I just have the one that grew and the black pearls are finally growing but not blooming!  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love the Mutts day.  They make the best pets.  Love Avocado's, have 2 trees growing in the yard.  Cotton candy makes my teeth hurt, it's so sweet.  The Dewey quote is right on.  Love crossing out something on my to do list to be ready to start another.

Love the Recipe but usually save it for Easter.

Have not been to Loreto Mexico, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Caipivodka:

Ingredients
1/4 cup vodka
2 green lemons
2 tablespoons sugar

Preparation

Cut the lemons into quarters and remove their seeds.

Put the lemons in a glass and press their juices with a mortar so they are crushed.

Add sugar, ice and Vodka.

Serve with a slice of lemon to decorate.

If you have been to Brazil and have fallen in love with its national drink made with Cachaca but cannot find it in your country or if you are a Brazilian tired of drinking the same old caipirinha then this recipe is for you.  In this recipe, cachaca is replaced by vodka, bringing that awesome cocktail drink closer to you while giving something new to its regular drinkers.  It is also known as Caipivodka and Caipirodka.  Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.01.23 AM.png

I never heard of this one before.  Sounds very sweet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Thanks,  we are lower than our ten plus days thankfully, but need to mask outdoors so not much fun! 

A garden question.   My jalapeño is blooming,  does it need another plant in order to pollinate?  I just have the one that grew and the black pearls are finally growing but not blooming!  

It should get pollinated with the bees, but if you have any doubt, just take q tip and touch several of the flowers’ pollen and then the other flower’s pollen.

It seemed to work for me when one of my chilies was way before the others.  If you have any other type of chili blooming you can do the same thing and touch each other’s with the q - tip if they are far away.

My black pearls just keep sending new leaves.  Haven’t seen any sign of bloom yet, either.  

• Like 10

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to Mutts, today.  I'll pass on the avacados and cotton candy.  I love the Dewey quote.  I have not been to Loreto.  The Maple Glazed Ham sounds like a winner.  My alternative is Summer Fruit Salad with Sambuca, Chicken and Corn Soup, and Turken Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry as served on MS Prinsendam July 31, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(hopefully not long
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
jayhawk66;s furbaby
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Improving)
bennybear DSIL infection
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Kakalina recovering from radiation for aggressive cancer
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Crazy for Cats
Welcome aboard jayhawk66
Front Line Health Care Workers
CrazyForCats off to Seattle
HorizonChaser1957 to Okaanagan
puppycanducruise adopting Bertie Woofster
Better vision for JazzyV
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists Roy.  The Maple Glazed ham is very appealing to me/  I hope you continue to improve

• Like 5

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

@cat shepardthank you, thank you for the Iceland pictures and your wonderful descriptions. My DH and I visited Jokulsarlon and we too loved our ride on the glacier lagoon. We lucked out and had one of those rare sunny summer days.

I did the glacier hike your friends did. “Intense” was a good word for it. It was by far the most physically challenging and on the edge thing I’ve ever done (can’t believe I did it at age 70!). Several of us gals were talking in the restroom beforehand about our worries over whether we were fit enough for it. Most of us were older, retired, like me, but one woman was slightly younger, a nurse who worked long shifts, always on her feet, she felt pretty confident. After our hike over the rock strewn beach just to get to the base of the glacier, she gave up and sat it out on a large boulder. I’m glad I did it, I proved something to myself, but in reviewing that activity, we suggested they needed to make it clearer just how strenuous and dangerous it could be. They called it a glacier hike which was a bit too innocuous for what was an amazing climb.

I am loving your food descriptions. No one had really prepared me for how fantastic my meals in Iceland were going to be. I realized later I had taken no pictures of the food (too busy eating I guess). I am totally hooked on Skyr.

St Louis Sal

D89A83F7-8C3C-4C5A-8B8B-4BD14AA6EEE5.jpeg

114D410A-E947-406F-A13B-3C0204F14F81.jpeg

52F8945E-BF3B-47BC-A841-DE982E410345.jpeg

9210F495-F81E-4E89-8410-C845738C7840.jpeg

339E2709-6D77-4CDF-A854-3ECD4C235BC1.jpeg

Sally - bravo for doing that glacier climb. And I bet the lagoon was truly magical in the sunlight!  Thank you for sharing your pics. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good Saturday morning everyone!  It looks to be another hot, steamy day in the mid 90's.  What do we expect on July 31st? 😎  Haven't been to Loreto, Mexico and don't even know where it's located so will have to check a map this morning and enlighten myself.  Cheers to the mutts on their day of celebration.  I tasted avocado late in life and can take it or leave it.  Cotton candy takes me back to grade school days when our school had an annual fair in May near the end of the school year.  It's so darn sweet, it's not really that good, but more like a novelty you try on a rare occasion.  Great quote of the day.  The Maple Glazed Ham sounds good, but the picture of the pumpkin pie with it on @dfish's post makes my mouth water.  @kazuI'm happy to hear your BFF's DH is out of ICU now.  Prayers for his continued recovery as well as all on our Care list.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list, and a toast to @Crazy For Catsas they embark on their Alaska cruise today.  

Today we think we'll pick up some pulled pork from our favorite barbecue restaurant.  We'll buy enough to freeze and use for sandwiches whenever we feel like some barbecue. 🍽️ 

Next Saturday is a special event for our family.  Our eldest grandson graduated from the University of Cincinnati School of Business in May of 2020 during some of the worst days of the pandemic.  There was no commencement for his University held at all.  On Aug. 7 they are making it up to the class of 2020 and holding commencement ceremonies at an arena on campus.  Our grandson will walk across the stage and receive his official diploma so DH and I are planning a trip to Ohio to be in attendance, with pride.  We will be leaving here Thursday the 5th, stay several days in Ohio, then visit our son in Michigan for several days.  Then we head home to Georgia on Thursday the 12th.  Road trip!!  A side note - DGS's younger sister is also a student at University of Cincinnati School of Business and is taking summer classes so she can finish up her degree this December so fingers crossed we can attend another commencement there in about 4 1/2 months!  Ahhhh, these kids grow up so fast, don't they?  👨‍🎓👩‍🎓

Congratulations Sandi for your grandsons graduation next Saturday.

A very proud time to celebrate for him and your family.

Graham.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning!

Maybe I missed it, but surprised nobody has mentioned the cotton candy that used to be served with dessert in Canaletto.  That was very quirky.  I don't think a single soul ever ate it  🙃

I forgot about that!  I ate mine. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

The Icelandic saga continues…..

The morning dawned raw and windy. Then the rain started. François said this is the real summer weather of Iceland. That lovely weather we had been enjoying was a fluke. I made it to the main building in time to walk through the “glacier room” that also contained mineral samples and some cool antiques. Sadly my phone was already stowed on the minibus, so no pics. Our breakfast buffet was chock full of great offerings. Very good coffee. They even offered scrambled eggs and bacon. The eggs were delicious, real eggs. I skipped the bacon. But they had that delicious, moist brown bread - and I had two pieces of that. I had my priorities. 😎

Today would be filled with two optional tours. I had signed up for both, but François told me not to even think about the glacier hike. He had that look in his eye, so I did not even question him.  But our first stop was the Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon boat tour. The company offers the tour in zodiacs or amphibious vessels, we loved our amphibious tour so much, I can only imagine how amazing the zodiac tour would be.  

Today’s weather tested all of the outdoor apparel we had packed for this trip. I could not totally zip my rain pants over my long underwear & the cast, but the snaps at the bottom secured the leg enough that the cast stayed dry! And my smart wool socks kept my feet toasty, even after they were soaked!  We climbed aboard our vessel and spent a magical 45 minutes floating through the lagoon amidst the giant icebergs. Our guide taught us that the denser the blue of the iceberg, the more recently it had flipped over. 
7CE7F751-A6C1-4E29-B92C-C62CE28A8A44.thumb.jpeg.e643b36383f71ea27cafbd16c7f95d6d.jpeg56228C74-C1EE-4234-B728-3A795626C2FA.thumb.jpeg.7f9d35cce0b23f7384481d75e479906a.jpeg734FA0B5-2543-4DDC-A732-151ADE30439A.thumb.jpeg.e72009d44cb61442eef7a22ffe22e4cb.jpeg
7DB08F63-6203-436A-A8D8-EF6D70F34369.thumb.jpeg.ee0e2c264ad4e522650f64b13c21c63d.jpeg3F4EE63D-F8E7-47C2-A9A3-41D3A68BC7F3.thumb.jpeg.65387bdd57ea594f77eaafe0b9ba4c9a.jpeg

She had her trusty helper collect a couple of ice samples for her. We had spotted him earlier and we called him our life guard, since he was following us so closely. She showed us the two ice samples. And let us hold one of them. This is Kat, whose love of everything Viking started us on this amazing adventure!
DF83AF9D-079E-4F85-9BD0-D7E6297F79E6.thumb.jpeg.56798ada6afc6754cc88ff9c75caa0c1.jpeg

She split the other one into cubes that we all tried. Pure ice water. While we were enjoying them, she used her hammer to carve a heart out of the other one. 
D5B6AD61-A6B8-4D40-BA0A-264A95EF542E.thumb.jpeg.0e4829906502995c0102b3107c601925.jpeg
We spied a few seals amongst the icebergs, but they disappeared too quickly for us to capture a picture of them.  This tour is the one that 11 out of 13 of us loved the most of our entire tour. And we loved the entire tour!  It was otherworldly. One felt as if we were the only vessel out there - except for our life guard, of course. The massiveness of the icebergs. The deep blue color of those that had just flipped. None of us gave the weather another thought. That is how special this tour was. 

We all stopped for a hot drink on the way back to the minibus, after tipping our guide. We were chattering like a group of school kids telling François how much we enjoyed the tour. And we could not wait to get out of our rain apparel.

We headed West towards Vik where we would spend the night. But first we stopped to pick up lunch and snacks. We were getting good at juggling food & water bottle refills.  We had  a couple hours before arriving at Skaftafell National Park. Our road hugged the rugged coastline for most of our journey. By the time we reached the park, two others had decided to join me in sitting out the glacier hike. But François said if we didn’t mind getting wet again, he would take us to the viewing platform, where we could see the glacier and maybe even watch our group go up. 
Of course we wanted to do that. The group doing the climb were given helmets, crampons, and ice piks. Their guide also checked out their shoes to make sure they were appropriate for scaling a glacier. Literally. 

We followed the group up to the viewing platform through off and on downpours. The glacier was massive. And you could see that the group was going to need that gear - especially coming down the glacier. In the pouring rain.  We passed moss growing on the lava rocks. Before the rain it was brown and dead looking. After the rain it was alive with color and tiny yellow flowers. 
C7567621-3FC4-4A7F-B300-6C67D6A9FAD1.thumb.jpeg.a1d9b96e90c012f8fd0b5d39b6989a31.jpeg
3ABACB1D-0D61-4D9D-BCBF-9AD105AEB86B.thumb.jpeg.36c00950ccfd0fa6ec4bb5f8a4856765.jpeg88916F4E-79E5-4BC8-A9DC-CEEB34C918FC.thumb.jpeg.9dd77daafe20d77f3269f46bf7c9b1ed.jpeg
We watched until the group started going up the glacier, and then we headed back to the minibus. I sent everyone on ahead of me, because it was pouring again & the going was so treacherous at times, I was going to be VERY, VERY CAREFUL! I loved getting back on our minibus. 

When our group came back only one person said she absolutely loved it! Four people said they felt very shaky and were happy to be back. And the rest used words like “intense” to describe the experience. All of them agreed the descent on ice in the pouring rain is what brought out the emotions. Several generously shared their pictures with me. 
F1CF74C5-D160-45B5-8885-39647E1EB870.thumb.jpeg.e512572023a464f7b1837d32f578a078.jpegC1FBD2DB-51DC-4E26-BFDE-644DC9352491.thumb.jpeg.52090584db29dcd355bbca2b73db5e97.jpegD4DB4F61-5A01-4EA1-AEF5-4323558AE8D7.thumb.jpeg.b8488fd2504bf54fc45c0b3fbec6173c.jpeg
Once everyone was settled, François headed us towards Hotel Dyrholaey in Vik. Our accommodations for the night.  The hotel was a group of buildings joined together, so that one could walk from the newest addition - where our rooms were, to the dining room at the opposite end without setting foot outside. The rooms and lighting were lovely.
2605E718-5A3C-4F48-9C77-632E6D20E06A.thumb.jpeg.40015d7c5f463a514f0e4dfb38bba503.jpegE66C7B70-504F-45B2-B85A-A12EA6994A58.thumb.jpeg.b909dc4a61af22d991b0a1490f532c27.jpeg

And their bar was so unique. 
6A7E896D-CF0B-478A-9499-2CD5D6F49310.thumb.jpeg.68d9c5b6e2a612fb524fb6827dc35580.jpeg

We had time for a shower and change before supper. And what a delightful supper. I had halibut, but cod, salmon and pork were also options. We enjoyed a lively Cote du Rhone with dinner, even though it did not really match our entrees. We were too hungry and tired to care. 

Another night of sleeping like the dead.  

More to follow…  But tomorrow was the last day of our official tour - how could that be?

Thank you for your amazing tour reports and pictures.

Graham

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1