Nightmare today at Port Everglades for people waiting to board the Edge because of new Covid testing

terrydtx

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Just got another report from my sister they are now in the AC part of terminal waiting to show Passport and proof of vaccination. It is 3:30 in FLL and they were in line since 11:30 that's 4 hours in the sun and heat.

I feel sorry for your sister and all the other passengers experiencing this screw up.  There is no way I could ever stand outside in the heat and sun for 4 hours.  We are seriously considering cancelling our October cruise. 

• Like 2

We are on Equinox tomorrow.  I hope it is not like this mess.  We went out this morning and got our Rapid Test, thinking that would help.  I am not so sure, now.  We were on EDGE July 3 and it was fine.  What a difference in a few weeks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I feel sorry for your sister and all the other passengers experiencing this screw up.  There is no way I could ever stand outside in the heat and sun for 4 hours.  We are seriously considering cancelling our October cruise. 

Thank you, my sister is in her 60's but my BIL is 78 and I was more afraid for how he would handle the heat, but they are in the AC part of the terminal and fine.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Drama and chaos in the middle of a viral pandemic?? Say it ain’t so! 😏

Would definitely like to know what was going on with the passengers who refused to leave the ship. I have to imagine it was B2B pax who refused to get tested or who tested positive and objected to being removed from the ship. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

Not sure about the refusal part. Definitely delayed disembarkation waiting for PCR results.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I have a friend who is boarding Edge today as well.  He was in line for three hours when he finally stepped into the terminal. He did say Celebrity has been good about passing out water to those in line but there really wasn't additional information being given.

We really don't have the whole story on what's going on so let's not start throwing accusations around about Celebrity.  This sounds like it could be a strange situation.

No question it sounds pretty awful.  No one should be standing outside in this heat for this long.  

Glad they were giving out water. I was on the Horizon July 10 and many people were waiting outside to board and it was hot. I can't imagine waiting this long outdoors ( and I am a Floridian). The Mardi Gras will have 4200 passengers, I hope that one goes better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raintree said:

We are on Equinox tomorrow.  I hope it is not like this mess.  We went out this morning and got our Rapid Test, thinking that would help.  I am not so sure, now.  We were on EDGE July 3 and it was fine.  What a difference in a few weeks!

I saw a post earlier that said if you got a test before tomorrows boarding you would not have to wait inline for one at the terminal, hopefully for you this is true. Have a great cruise on the Equinox.

11 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Drama and chaos in the middle of a viral pandemic?? Say it ain’t so! 😏

Would definitely like to know what was going on with the passengers who refused to leave the ship. I have to imagine it was B2B pax who refused to get tested or who tested positive and objected to being removed from the ship. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

There are certainly plenty of rumors! I think what @kearneyposted in post #6 is more plausible than b2b people refusing to leave the ship.

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Just got another report from my sister they are now in the AC part of terminal waiting to show Passport and proof of vaccination. It is 3:30 in FLL and they were in line since 11:30 that's 4 hours in the sun and heat.

This is how they treat their top level suite guests ???

WOW !!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We have a cruise on Mardi Gras in Nov. I am seriously considering cancelling also. We were on the Horizon  July 10 and we had to wait outside for a while, but it did move quickly. Being the positive covid cases on Celebrity Edge, and Royal, this is likely why this was immediately implemented. I hope this doesn't happen every time. Debarking was a breeze, but embarkation is a nightmare now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

WOW !!!

They are in one of the Edge Villas at $10k a pop.  Just got another text and they just took the test and have to wait for the results before they can board but they get to sit for first time in AC.  Neither of them ate breakfast at the hotel because they thought they would be in Luminae by noon for a nice lunch and wine.. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

WOW !!!

This should have nothing to do with ones status. Inside stateroom, Icon suite or Zenith. All should be handled the same when it comes to the long wait times. I for one will wait to hear both sides of the story to what caused this but hopefully Celebrity learned something today so that this will not happen again to ANY guest regardless of status.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

They are in one of the Edge Villas at $10k a pop.  Just got another text and they just took the test and have to wait for the results before they can board but they get to sit for first time in AC.  Neither of them ate breakfast at the hotel because they thought they would be in Luminae by noon for a nice breakfast. 

Wow we are so disappointed to read all of this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I doubt future departures will be anything like today, because these pax had little advance notice to be tested. Even tomorrow should be better because some people have been able to get tested in advance, and X will have had another day to get their act in gear. I really empathize with everyone standing for hours in the heat! I certainly hope X makes up for this dreadful start by doing something special for these pax.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

This should have nothing to do with ones status. Inside stateroom, Icon suite or Zenith. All should be handled the same. I for one will wait to hear both sides of the story to what caused this but hopefully Celebrity learned something today so that this will not happen to ANY guest regardless of status again. 

I don’t want people waiting in the sun but the reality is that status matters to Celebrity.  I’m not a suite customer but I know that comes with perks.

• Like 1