Single Relationships for 55+

Traveling Mike

Now that I am 55+ and cruising a lot as a single; I am wondering what attitudes are on the ships about relationships.  Most of my cruising life I was a single father traveling with my son and was not interested in a relationship on the ship.  The cruise was for me and my son and for me to relax.  I am not sure what my attitude will be going forward as a 60 year old single cruiser.  Would I be willing to have a relationship on one of my cruises?  

What is your attitude?

Note:  I do not mean "Relationship" as just taking someone back to your cabin.  It is spending time and doing things with someone you could be interested in.

• Like 1

It depends on the cruise; it depends upon the people one meets.

On a short cruise, relationships of the type you are considering are difficult to make.  A "friend" whom one meets at the bar before dinner:  both of you may choose to dine together if possible, as an example.  On a longer cruise, such "friends" are easier to make and have been easier to maintain during the cruise.  And, sometimes beyond.  

I am interested in meeting new people and, maybe, making new friends during a cruise.  Whatever I do, it has worked.  Participating in a CC Roll Call for your cruise also helps as well.  

• Like 1

I'm 60.  Not single but if I were, I'd be interested in meeting other singles of both genders for fellowship--meals together, maybe shore excursions, pre-dinner cocktails, etc.  If I really hit it off with someone I might want to continue the friendship after the cruise and see how things evolved over time,  But a hook up?  Nope.

• Like 5

If you're on a cruise that has a "solo social" mixer of some kind -- NCL comes to mind -- then it's very easy to meet people with whom you can dine, take excursions, hang out, or whatever.  The solo meetups aren't all twenty-somethings looking for a hookup, they tend to be well distributed across all age ranges.  I've met a lot of interesting & fun people at them.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, Traveling Mike said:

Note:  I do not mean "Relationship" as just taking someone back to your cabin.  It is spending time and doing things with someone you could be interested in.

Mike, I think I know what you mean.  I'm not looking for a hook-up relationship, but it would be nice to have a male friend with similar interests with whom I could go to dinner, attend events, and dance.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'm 60 and single.  No way would I be looking or interested in any kind of romantic relationship on a cruise - I don't want to start a long-distance relationship.  However, I would (and have) made friendship on board with people I would meet for drinks or meals, and make plans to share activities and time together. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, calliopecruiser said:

I would (and have) made friendship on board with people I would meet for drinks or meals, and make plans to share activities and time together. 

That is what I have done on several cruises and some of those on board friendships continued ashore as well as being refreshed when we cruised together once again.  

• 3 weeks later...

We were on a HAL cruise a few years ago sitting in a theater waiting for to be called for our excursion.  A few rows behind us an older  man was speaking loudly (in an old guy way, not not bragging), and there was no way of not hearing it - LOL.  He was telling someone that while he was traveling solo on this cruise, he had met a retired teacher on a past cruise, and they hit it off.  They now book a cruise together once or twice a year, since two can cruise together almost for the single supplement surcharge.  I remember thinking about the retired teacher - "you go, girl."  I mean, like, why not?!

You never know where a cruise friendship might take you.  Save some money, and maybe have a 'cruise buddy with benefits'     ;  )

We meet so many people on cruises that we have become life long/cruise friends.  It does not have to be a "relationship" just see who you like hanging out with and meet them at different events, dinner, lunch, trivia, etc. It makes the cruise so much more fun. 

They do have singles meet ups.  One time I was waiting for my husband at some venue and someone came and sat with me.  I just thought they were being nice and friendly, not weird.  Then he asked if I always travelled alone, haha, just as my husband walked up.  He thought I was at the singles event in another venue.  It was fine, we would see each other and talk for the whole cruise 32 days.

I even talked to people who met their spouse/sig other on a cruise.  I say go for it.  Life is too short to worry about things.  Most times you will never see any of these people again so just have fun. You deserve to live the life you want and should do things that make you happy. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Usually those meetups are for solo cruisers, not the same as a singles meetup. Yes some are single but many are just solo for the cruise. I was traveling sans partner, so not single but solo.  I've made friends via the NCL solo meetups, arranged group dinners, happy hours, etc. I've also connected with other solos on excursions and met one of my buddies in the terminal security line!