The vaccination olympics

10 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Are you guys vaccinating 12+ yet?

Victoria has been for a couple of weeks or so. There's been a huge uptake with almost 30% of 12-15 year olds in Vic having had their first dose already! It's so wonderful to know they'll not be left to the mercy of the virus. Hoping the TGA can approve Pfizer for 5-11 year olds soon (Greg Hunt has asked Pfizer to apply to TGA for approval). Then they can go back to school with a modicum of assurance they won't get extremely ill.

• Like 1

I have a theory why Qld is lagging behind with their vaccination rates,  Scomo said on TV last night that once States hit 80% re vaccs, there will be no reason for their borders to remain closed.  One wonders if Qld has a strategy to slow vaccs in order to keep their borders closed.😬

What say ye? Standby for spears from the far north, lol.😂 Or will the XXXX bottles rain from the sky on us southerners?😂

Edited by NSWP

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have a theory why Qld is lagging behind with their vaccination rates,  Scomo said on TV last night that once States hit 80% re vaccs, there will be no reason for their borders to remain closed.  One wonders if Qld has a strategy to slow vaccs in order to keep their borders closed.😬

What say ye? Standby for spears from the far north, lol.😂 Or will the XXXX bottles rain from the sky on us southerners?😂

Nothing would surprise me  as nothing has been about politics regarding covid....lol

Wondering if Tassie will repel mainlanders... the red and white boat stopped the other day due to covid

Is Freedom day.... when the lunatic fringe run amok....spreading disease with the greatest of easy......  ummmm time to stock up on Mortein 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Our CHO and Health Minister are on the TV constantly urging people to get vaccinated and the government has opened up vaccination hubs where people can go without an appointment. These actions contradict your suggestion of a government strategy in Qld to slow vaccinations. 🙂

Consider vaccination rates in NSW for instance. It was rather sluggish until the current surge in Delta cases a couple of months ago. Then suddenly many people who hadn't bothered to get vaccinated, rushed to get the jab. I suggest a similar thing has happened in Qld. Many people just hadn't got around to it and didn't see the urgency, however, when the current surge in cases happened in NSW, rates in Qld have risen.

There has been another factor in slow vax rates - with the media attention on the possible side effects of AZ, some people who, because of their age group should have had AZ became convinced that it was dangerous and said they would wait and only have Pfizer. When the outbreak occurred in NSW (here I blame Gladys for not imposing a lockdown quickly) the Commonwealth government directed more of its Pfizer stocks to NSW and, to a lesser degree, to Victoria, at the expense of the other states. Personally, I think that was a wise decision, but it meant there were not as many Pfizer doses available in Qld. For instance, six weeks ago my daughter was trying to get an appointment for Pfizer and the first she could get was Nov. I managed to find a clinic a distance out of Brisbane where she got her first dose - her second one is at her local clinic next week. More stocks are now available. 

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 4:42 PM, lyndarra said:

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread due to those pictures.

Ever since I had my gall bladder out (8 weeks now) I've had a craving for Crispy Creme.😵

A few years back Mrs G had been Crook as Rookwood, not eaten for a few days, just recovering and on the footy show they mentioned Krispy Kremes (no local outlets then) she says “gee I could go some of those” what does the Gutster do, in the car, down to the nearest outlet (only Wynyard, yep from Maitland) to fulfill her every wish.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A few years back Mrs G had been Crook as Rookwood, not eaten for a few days, just recovering and on the footy show they mentioned Krispy Kremes (no local outlets then) she says “gee I could go some of those” what does the Gutster do, in the car, down to the nearest outlet (only Wynyard, yep from Maitland) to fulfill her every wish.

Awww! You are a real sweetie!

Mind you, the last thing I'd want after an illness where I hadn't been able to eat for days would be Krispy Kremes. Ugh!

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I remember when Krispy Kreme opened up on General Holmes Drive near Sydney Airport. Traffic congestion big time. I think it was the first outlet.  The one in the airport was also busy.

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I remember when Krispy Kreme opened up on General Holmes Drive near Sydney Airport. Traffic congestion big time. I think it was the first outlet.  The one in the airport was also busy.

When the lad was at Uni in Adelaide we had to pick him up at the Airport a few times each year, so we’d park at KK, no Maccas or KFC out there then. (We wouldn’t eat many Promise) he’d ring when he collected his bag and we’d then duck around to arrivals to get him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When the lad was at Uni in Adelaide we had to pick him up at the Airport a few times each year, so we’d park at KK, no Maccas or KFC out there then. (We wouldn’t eat many Promise) he’d ring when he collected his bag and we’d then duck around to arrivals to get him.

Back then just about everyone boarding a domestic flight had a cardboard tray of KK donuts in hand.  I was out at the airport nearly everyday when I was at Eastern Suburbs/Mascot, 94-99.👮‍♂️

42 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Back then just about everyone boarding a domestic flight had a cardboard tray of KK donuts in hand.  I was out at the airport nearly everyday when I was at Eastern Suburbs/Mascot, 94-99.👮‍♂️

Daughter's SIL used to travel to Sydney for work regularly and would always bring back a box or two of KK donuts. So I think a fair few boxes arrived back into Melbourne over the years until an outlet opened at Tullamarine.

• Like 1

I overheard a conversation on Friday at the local shopping centre where one in the conversation gave the opinion that opening up the country may thin out the percentage of non vac dah dah's. Sad that they don't realise how vulnerable they will be.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I overheard a conversation on Friday at the local shopping centre where one in the conversation gave the opinion that opening up the country may thin out the percentage of non vac dah dah's. Sad that they don't realise how vulnerable they will be.

Also sad that the majority of the non vaxed will be kids under 12 who have had no option for vaccination as of yet.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our CHO and Health Minister are on the TV constantly urging people to get vaccinated and the government has opened up vaccination hubs where people can go without an appointment. These actions contradict your suggestion of a government strategy in Qld to slow vaccinations. 🙂

Consider vaccination rates in NSW for instance. It was rather sluggish until the current surge in Delta cases a couple of months ago. Then suddenly many people who hadn't bothered to get vaccinated, rushed to get the jab. I suggest a similar thing has happened in Qld. Many people just hadn't got around to it and didn't see the urgency, however, when the current surge in cases happened in NSW, rates in Qld have risen.

There has been another factor in slow vax rates - with the media attention on the possible side effects of AZ, some people who, because of their age group should have had AZ became convinced that it was dangerous and said they would wait and only have Pfizer. When the outbreak occurred in NSW (here I blame Gladys for not imposing a lockdown quickly) the Commonwealth government directed more of its Pfizer stocks to NSW and, to a lesser degree, to Victoria, at the expense of the other states. Personally, I think that was a wise decision, but it meant there were not as many Pfizer doses available in Qld. For instance, six weeks ago my daughter was trying to get an appointment for Pfizer and the first she could get was Nov. I managed to find a clinic a distance out of Brisbane where she got her first dose - her second one is at her local clinic next week. More stocks are now available. 

Victoria did not get any extra vaccines. Around 343,000 extra Pfizer shots were directed into NSW stocks which were meant to come to Victoria. It is just very recently that we are now starting to get back some stock, after it was brought to the public attention and perhaps a bit more because of our outbreak. It meant that many younger people were not able to be vaccinated until there were more stock available. I understand NSW received an extra 1 million doses of Pfizer, so no wonder they are reaching the National targets more quickly than some of the other states. 

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I understand NSW received an extra 1 million doses of Pfizer, so no wonder they are reaching the National targets more quickly than some of the other states. 

Then the politicians who know that because they did that, turn around and blame other states for falling behind in their vaccination rate. 😡

If Gladys hadn't dropped the ball on this, vaccinations would not now be so frantic. We'd be calmly jabbing people until we came up to 80% or 90%, and opening the borders without having to kill people in the zero covid states.

Because that is what opening up now means, people who wouldn't have had to die, will now die.

• Like 1

Maybe, just maybe, if Gladys had locked down hard as soon as the Bondi Junction case was confirmed we might have bern able to squash this outbreak. But I'm beginning to think even that may have been too late given how quickly this Delta variant moves.

Victoria, with all it's experience in squashing outbreaks, hasn't been able to contain this one.

Ditto NZ. 

Canberra is still getting a fair number of cases.

The sad thing is that many people were reluctant to get vaccinated until this outbreak started. Partly because of the bad PR on AZ and exacerbated by the limited supplies of Pfizer at the time. I believe that reluctance is still happening in QLD and WA who are currently lagging behind the rest of Australia in vaccinations.

I hope the opening up of individual states within the state, state borders and international borders is done in a sensible and structured manner, protecting areas with low vaccination rates until they also reach 80% or more.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I believe that reluctance is still happening in QLD and WA who are currently lagging behind the rest of Australia in vaccinations.

I think more likely is that 10 or so people dying per day has motivated NSW vaccinations. The same, but to a lesser degree in Victoria.

It's quite a price to encourage vaccination.

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope the opening up of individual states within the state, state borders and international borders is done in a sensible and structured manner, protecting areas with low vaccination rates until they also reach 80% or more.

I hope that politicians don't continue to treat these percentages as magic numbers. Supposedly they are based on Doherty Instutute modeling, but they are not letting us in on the caveats. Such as requiring a functioning tracing system, or that they didn't model the effect of delta. Now that they have considered delta, it seems that 90%, rather than 80%, is considered a far safer opening point.

3 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think more likely is that 10 or so people dying per day has motivated NSW vaccinations. The same, but to a lesser degree in Victoria.

Of course it was, and the fact that WA and QLD aren't battling an outbreak is partly why their vaccination rates are still low. Some people there are still procrastinating about getting vaccinated as they don't see any urgency to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Maybe, just maybe, if Gladys had locked down hard as soon as the Bondi Junction case was confirmed we might have bern able to squash this outbreak. But I'm beginning to think even that may have been too late given how quickly this Delta variant moves.

Victoria, with all it's experience in squashing outbreaks, hasn't been able to contain this one.

Ditto NZ. 

Canberra is still getting a fair number of cases.

The sad thing is that many people were reluctant to get vaccinated until this outbreak started. Partly because of the bad PR on AZ and exacerbated by the limited supplies of Pfizer at the time. I believe that reluctance is still happening in QLD and WA who are currently lagging behind the rest of Australia in vaccinations.

Canberra hasn't  really closed off its borders and as such, is now onto its 10 incursion of the virus since the initial outbreak, it keeps coming in from NSW (2 have come from Melbourne) and that is why we keep getting numbers (flucuating 5-30 daily).

It also shows that once borders are open, there is no protections as it is going to be everyone and not just  truck drivers and essential workers bringing it with them.

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Of course it was, and the fact that WA and QLD aren't battling an outbreak is partly why their vaccination rates are still low. Some people there are still procrastinating about getting vaccinated as they don't see any urgency to do so.

You have nailed it a far as WA is concerned. Some are waiting for a better vaccine, whatever that means?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It also shows that once borders are open, there is no protections as it is going to be everyone and not just  truck drivers and essential workers bringing it with them.

Re truck drivers. I don't recall seeing anything in the media about transport depots. I reckon that's where most drivers could be getting it from. Freight depot petrie dishes, eh?

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Re truck drivers. I don't recall seeing anything in the media about transport depots. I reckon that's where most drivers could be getting it from. Freight depot petrie dishes, eh?

Not necessarily. I read somewhere a while back that one of the problems was that a good number of long distance truck drivers live in the Sydney LGAs of concern. They get regular Covid tests but that only proves they weren't positive at the time the test was done. 24 hours later across and across a state border they become infectious. And, of course, there are the few that don't follow the rules if they do test positive, possibly for financial reasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Also sad that the majority of the non vaxed will be kids under 12 who have had no option for vaccination as of yet.

We currently have approx 2500 active cases in children under 16, that we are managing via our ‘virtual ward’, it is the one number they don’t expect to reduce, with long term plans being put into place.

• Thanks 1