The vaccination olympics

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Our CHO said they are searching for masks small enough for correct fit for children.  

Does she mean re-usable or disposabe? My grandchildren all have masks that fit well, even the 3 year old, not that the younger ones are required to wear them. But if it is impossible to social distance, the masks go on. It is quite easy to buy well fitting cloth masks for children.

Edited by possum52

30 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Does she mean re-usable or disposabe? My grandchildren all have masks that fit well, even the 3 year old, not that the younger ones are required to wear them. But if it is impossible to social distance, the masks go on. It is quite easy to buy well fitting cloth masks for children.

She had an adult disposable one in her hands whilst she was talking. So I think that was what she was talking about.  It is good that your grandchildren were masks when necessary.  
I’m outnumbered by friends who don’t think our lockdown will finish on Sunday. All agree we will be wearing masks for some time and some restrictions re space won’t change.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Seeing an increasing number of children are now catching covid, I don’t think stats for 16+ are relevant any longer.  Our CHO said they are searching for masks small enough for correct fit for children.  

The problem with these figures is that while they are very positive, the herd threshold is calculated on the whole population.  When vaccinations open to 12+ (as they probably will) the % will immediately drop.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, Russell21 said:

Yes the critics seem to forget that a large portion of our supplies were blocked by the European Union. It is far easier to blame our Government

3.8 million doses of AstraZeneca were blocked from being sent here at the beginning of the year by the EU - not really a large portion in the scheme of things.

Truth is, our government should have made deals earlier last year for the delivery of vaccines, and should also have arranged to have vaccines delivered as soon as they were available (i.e. December last year). If we'd started vaccinating then with adequate supplies we'd be well on our way by now.

The truth of the matter is that our government is to blame for the failure of our vaccine roll-out. It's a pretty inexcusable failure.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The truth of the matter is that our government is to blame for the failure of our vaccine roll-out. It's a pretty inexcusable failure.

Also think think a percentage of population and the media AZ pile on didn’t  help the situation. There has been more than sufficient AZ around for months now …….

5 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Brad Hazzard said at today's briefing:

"Vaccinations, the great news today is our doses for the first dose on population of 16 and above have reached almost 50%"

NSW is on track to reach the 70% target by the end of the month. image.png.47c7a6fce63eaa67eeca53466145188f.png

Give Victoria an extra 500,000+ vaccines and we'll meet those figures, too!

15 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Also think think a percentage of population and the media AZ pile on didn’t  help the situation. There has been more than sufficient AZ around for months now …….

There should be a lot of AZ around and some places seem to have it (NSW's Brad Hazzard says they're 'awash with AZ'). However, the Federal government seems to still be doling it out. Appointment times are short on the ground even for AZ at GP's in my local suburban Melbourne area. My GP clinic says they could give more but they don't have enough staff. I think it's going to make a huge difference once they get the pharmacies up and running  - pity they couldn't have done that weeks or months ago.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

There should be a lot of AZ around and some places seem to have it (NSW's Brad Hazzard says they're 'awash with AZ'). However, the Federal government seems to still be doling it out. Appointment times are short on the ground even for AZ at GP's in my local suburban Melbourne area. My GP clinic says they could give more but they don't have enough staff. I think it's going to make a huge difference once they get the pharmacies up and running  - pity they couldn't have done that weeks or months ago.

Agree - same happening up our way in C.Qld. 

But when the 12 week / 3 month date for the over 50s  second shot rolls around the data for fully vaxed should start reading much better. It’s starting to happen now even between our CC posters. 👍

Edited by Porky55

9 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Agree - same happening up our way in C.Qld. 

But when the 12 week / 3 month date for the over 50s  second shot rolls around the data for fully vaxed should start reading much better. It’s starting to happen now even between our CC posters. 👍

Stats should improve when more people get Pfizer vaccine as second vaccine is only three weeks later.

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Give Victoria an extra 500,000+ vaccines and we'll meet those figures, too!

Not the 500,000 you wanted, but this will help.😉

"Victoria will soon have access to 150,000 more doses of the Pfizer vaccine after striking up a deal with the Prime Minister. " Weekend Australian.

Edited by By The Bay

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Stats should improve when more people get Pfizer vaccine as second vaccine is only three weeks later.

The NZ Director General of Health advised this week that Kiwis may be asked to wait 8 weeks between Pfizer doses, as studies are showing this may give more immunity.

No decision made as yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Not the 500,000 you wanted, but this will help.😉

"Victoria will soon have access to 150,000 more doses of the Pfizer vaccine after striking up a deal with the Prime Minister. " Weekend Australian.

Yes, I did see that. Our begging finally paid a dividend.

The 500,000 I mentioned was a reference to what I understand the extra doses given to NSW to be (Pfizer doses. AstraZeneca in addition to that number).

My daughter and SIL both had Pfizer last week; both had headaches, felt hot and flushed and had very sore arms for a couple of days. Unlike AZ where all I had was a sore arm and DH nothing.

BTW - had 2nd dose today 🎊

Rose 🌹

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

My daughter and SIL both had Pfizer last week; both had headaches, felt hot and flushed and had very sore arms for a couple of days. Unlike AZ where all I had was a sore arm and DH nothing.

Rose 🌹

Well done. It is a good feeling to get that second dose.  

29 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Rose 🌹

Really can't wait for our 2nd shot on 6th September..... well at least it will make as feel better..

Don with G&T

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

One of my sons + his wife have both had two shot of Pfizer with only slight after affects. My other son + wife are booked in for October and our daughter is still trying to get an appointment. Appointments are available for October, but she is trying to get something earlier. Because of their ages, they are going for Pfizer.

Understand about Pfizer for our youngsters, however I thought it was unusual to see a woman well into her ‘mature’ years, show up and pronounce quite adamantly she was there for her Pfizer shot ……..

But your daughter is waiting …….

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

our daughter is still trying to get an appointment. Appointments are available for October

Go figure - each to their own I guess 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

One of my sons + his wife have both had two shot of Pfizer with only slight after affects. My other son + wife are booked in for October and our daughter is still trying to get an appointment. Appointments are available for October, but she is trying to get something earlier. Because of their ages, they are going for Pfizer.

What state does she live in.  Qld Govt will be opening Qld Convention Centre for Pfizer from tomorrow.  We recommended our friends keep trying the Health website and they got earlier appts than originally offered. 

6 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Understand about Pfizer for our youngsters, however I thought it was unusual to see a woman well into her ‘mature’ years, show up and pronounce quite adamantly she was there for her Pfizer shot ……..

Either she has health issues that make AZ unadvisable for her, or she was just being selfish. 🤔

9 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

My mum had AZ jab, then after some heart problems, including a stent, they told her the second jab needed to be Pfizer, there are reasons that “mature” people may need different to the “norm”.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Either she has health issues that make AZ unadvisable for her, or she was just being selfish. 🤔

Not necessarily.  There was a weekend when Qld Govt was boosting their vaccine numbers at their health centres.  An eligible daughter  went for her vaccine appt and was told by the nurse appts were for everyone. So both my other daughter and I went on the Health website and booked our appts. for Pfizer. Previously we couldn’t book.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

My mum had AZ jab, then after some heart problems, including a stent, they told her the second jab needed to be Pfizer, there are reasons that “mature” people may need different to the “norm”.

I find that interesting. My husband has had a stent last year and he is early 60s and his cardiologist and GP both told him to have AZ. Which he has had with only slight tiredness from the first dose and nothing from the second. My eldest sister also is under a cardiologist and after an initial hesitation he said AZ for her as well she had her first dose 6 weeks ago. My youngest at 60 with minor heart problems, not under a cardiologist, said her GP told her to wait for Pfizer.

This is why I find it confusing with the various advice and I used to work in the medical field with my last job doing immunisations in a large clinic.🤔