Zuiderdam or Volendam?: Same Alaska Itineary

LadyLuck

Our cruise on the Zuiderdam was for our entire family of nine. Our ages ranged from 75 down to 3. We were very disappointed in what HAL offered for the kids. (Ages 3,8,11) Granted, it was not a school holiday and the ship did not have a lot of children, but they had virtually no program of activities. And, though we love HAL for us ( ages 77, 52) , next month we are taking the kids and grandkids again and going on Carnival because we think there will be lots of activities for them when we're at sea. We had a choice of Princess, RC, Carnival, and HAL and, while Carnival wasn't our first choice, HAL was definitely our last choice for this particular cruise.

Hope this helps.

Deb

We'll be on the Volendam in May also. If anyone is going on the May 17th cruise, PLEASE come join me on the roll call board! Our first HA cruise was on the Oosterdam (sister ship to the Zuiderdam) about a year ago. It was Spring Break. There were lots of kids. We had our three teen grandchildren with us. They had a great time as did we. We are now looking forward to the Volendam. I'm sure it will be a different experience due to the smaller size of the ship. We are looking forward to a great cruise!

Good Morning.

We sailed the Zuiderdam twice and enjoyed both cruises. It is a larger ship and therefore seems to have more "going on".

We also sailed the Volendam to Alaska in May'05 and have chosen to sail her again this May. We like the fact that the ship departs from Vancouver mid-week thus avoiding larger crowds at the airport and at the cruise terminal. We prefer the Volendam's decor (especially all of the flowers) and the feel of a slightly smaller ship. We really cruise for relaxation as well as itinerary.

I personally would determine if I wanted a mid-week or weekend departure and then decide if I wanted a more active or more relaxing experience.

You will have a great time either way.

B

We sailed the Volendam, just hubby and I, in Alaska a few years back....it was our second HAL cruise, having previously sailed the Maasdam, and was perfect for just the two of us (we are early 50's). The only part of the cruise that fell short of our expectations was the entertainment.....both the comedian and the juggler were so bad we almost felt sorry for them. I've not seen others remark about this, though, so perhaps it was an isolated "bad week"???

That being said, we have chosen to go with the Zuiderdam, this year in Alaska, having cruised her twice in the Caribbean with our extended families. I would not hesitate to recommend the Zuiderdam, especially if you have children with you. Our son, who is 10, has always had a wonderful time.

Archived