Another update ruling out same type of mixed vaccines for US departures!

MR_T

On 8/6/2021 at 5:31 AM, Miaminice said:

Oh. on the contrary!

Since millions of people (incl. myself) in Europe received the mix of vector (AZ) and mRNA (Pfizer, Moderna) vaccines by now, there are studies. I know of recent studies in the UK (Oxford University) and Germany (Munich MTU University). All studies show a very high efficacy. Better than two doses of vector alone (AZ), at least as good as 2 doses of mRNA - and possibly even better.

The concept of two different kinds of vaccines is nothing new. It is used in other vaccinations as well to receive a better immune response / boost with the second shot.

And in many countries the reason had nothing to do with not saving the second dose at all.

AstraZeneca was widely used in many countries. When the problems of blood clots with AZ occurred,  the recommendation was to not use AstraZeneca in certain age groups any more.

When I received my second dose in Germany I was able to choose between a second dose of Astra or BioNtech/Pfizer. Because of the good study results I chose to mix.

There are studies and there are studies required for drug approval.

There have certainly been some studies looking at some vaccine combinations.  But they are 1. relatively small studies  and 2. not structured to provide the information needed to get authorization in the US. They have generally aimed at looking at antibody levels, not a complete look at safety and efficacy for product registration

Pfizer is running a study that should provide the necessary information for a label expansion for combinations with AZ first shot, Pfizer second shot. Not sure when that one is scheduled to finish.

Health Canada is also sponsoring a registration type trial that deals with different periods between vaccinations, as well as combinations.  Problem is that study is not scheduled to complete until sometime in 2023.

38 minutes ago, Ralfkrippner said:

This is madness! If Canada or the EU deem a resident as fully vaxed and issue a certificate saying so this should be accepted by celebrity. Especially for sailings not touching a US Port.

What does the US govt say right now about vaccinated travelers?  Anything on the topic? (I've yet to look it up). 

Seems that all Celebrity needs, per their verbiage, is for the CDC to say that those jabs are considered fully vaccinated in the US.