Pride Of American cruises cancelled till January 22`

Traveller20074

5 hours ago, zelker said:

Did they give you a reason for cancelling all of these until January 22, 2022?

Right now Hawaii is talking about tightening restrictions...so assume NCL has made the decision the immediate future in Hawaii for cruising is not bright.

22 hours ago, NextOne said:

Wow - we're scheduled for February 5 -- not sure I want to be on one of the first cruises, assuming that there will be a learning curve for the crew....

Not to be a spoilsport but there's a huge chance that these sailings will be cancelled well into 2022. Hawaii takes an incredibly conservative approach to all of this. Even with relatively lower amount of cases than elsewhere in the US, they are now limited to 50% capped on indoor dining and a fairly robust mask mandate. 

We've been to Hawaii several times through Covid, and it's relatively easy to do, but I would visit on a land based vacation at this point. My guess is you wont be able to rely on whether a sailing will happen for quite some time-- the government isn't putting any priority around it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not to be a spoilsport but there's a huge chance that these sailings will be cancelled well into 2022. Hawaii takes an incredibly conservative approach to all of this. Even with relatively lower amount of cases than elsewhere in the US, they are now limited to 50% capped on indoor dining and a fairly robust mask mandate.  

Add to that the following from Maui Now:  "Maui Memorial Medical Center continues to experience an increase in COVID-19 positive admissions...This is the largest number of COVID-19 admissions the hospital has experienced throughout the pandemic, according to a Maui Health spokesperson.

19 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

Oh great, booked for a May 14 cruise. 

You fill me with joy.. 

I hear you. I try to be a realist with this. I've spent several months in Hawaii since all of this began and the only thing consistent about communication from the state government about regulations is that nothing is consistent.

They are ultra conservative compared to most of the US right now and will most likely remain that way. They are also experiencing some upticks right now that could very well make things more restrictive than they already are (and they have some of the more strict rules right now in the country in terms of masks and reduced capacity). 

I've said it a few times on this board-- the best way to go to Hawaii in 2022 will most likely be a land based vacation. It's not difficult to arrange (prearranged packages that are similar to a cruise exist) and you can count on the fact you'll be able to go. 

On 8/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, Magnetchief said:

They need to up the vaccination rate. Why so low at 62%?

Extremely complicated, super local politics and native Hawaiian resistance to mainland policies. Most people who go there think it's some sort of tropical Disneyland but there is a lot of resentment from native Hawaiians towards non natives, especially tourists, and it can manifest itself in things like this. 

Plus the health system isn't fantastic in Hawaii as a whole-- if I were to get seriously sick I would not want to do it in the islands. 

• 1 month later...

I spoke with my Norwegian cruise consultant and he said that the cancellations have nothing to do with covid but the inability to get enough American crew.  He felt confident that this would be resolved by my March cruise.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shel003 said:

I spoke with my Norwegian cruise consultant and he said that the cancellations have nothing to do with covid but the inability to get enough American crew.  He felt confident that this would be resolved by my March cruise.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...or actually your NCL rep does...😉

The NCL telephone reps are not exactly the most knowledgeable people and they just parrot whatever they're told to. They're "confident" because they've been instructed to say that so you don't cancel and take your money elsewhere.

While there certainly might be some truth to the crewing problem, when the governor tells potential tourists to stay away from Hawaii because of the surge in COVID cases you better believe him, not your NCL rep. To further complicate matters each island is ruled as if it were an individual country, making travel from one to another subject to each island's rules .

I hope your cruise goes off as scheduled . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was in Hawaii the first half of October on a land tour. While we were there, the Governor made a statement about preparing to restart cruising in 2022, implying that Hawaii was doing their own thing on cruising...like nobody else had any knowledge or experience in cruising during Covid. I am sure Hawaii will probably be seeking input from the areas that have opened to cruising, and the cruiselines. But the Governor's statement sounded like "nobody has EVER cruised during Covid, so we have invent the wheel here"!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 6:29 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

NextOne:  If you haven't done so already, check out "Maui Now".  It is a valuable source of information about Maui and the rest of the State.

The letters to the editor make interesting reading. 

You can feel the local resistance to tourism  

https://mauinow.com/category/letters-to-the-editor/

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 9:31 AM, Magnetchief said:

You can feel the local resistance to tourism 

These feelings have existed ever since Captain Cook's return in 1779.

Joking aside there are places on the far side of tourist friendly Maui, even that you will find open hostility to you being there as a tourist. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

These feelings have existed ever since Captain Cook's return in 1779.

Joking aside there are places on the far side of tourist friendly Maui, even that you will find open hostility to you being there as a tourist. 

We fail to see your purpose in your comments.