Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

2 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I know the lady is in a wheelchair so nothing is easy , they were leaving to drive to Seattle tomorrow morning . I told her to pretend she was going in NCL and get in their testing line !!!!

What’s state does she live in?  Just wondering if the shortage is nationwide or a west coast thing.  

1 minute ago, mthomp5 said:

What’s state does she live in?  Just wondering if the shortage is nationwide or a west coast thing.  

The rapid antigen test availability is nowhere close to be found with Walgreen in Los Angeles County...Yes I think the shortage is probably nationwide...

Just now, ebeluga said:

The rapid antigen test availability is nowhere close to be found with Walgreen in Los Angeles County...Yes I think the shortage is probably nationwide...

Yeah….not looking good for upcoming cruises in the near future.  

I am now thinking this new testing requirement is going to cause Princess more damage than the MC App issues.  At least with MC App, there are workarounds to get people checked-in and onto the ship.

And the pity is that this extra testing is largely a waste of time, money and effort when the cruise is for the fully-vaccinated. 

• Like 3

With the Covid surge that demands a lot of testing and now add on thousands of cruise passengers' demand for testing despite most just travel domestically to get to the ship and the ship itinerary is basically domestic with Alaska and CA coastal that normally does not trigger testing in other modes of transportation with fully vaccinated people, this is putting a surge on testing demand that no one foresees...

Edited by ebeluga

1 hour ago, mthomp5 said:

Brevard county is Florida announced shortages and as cases are surging in Florida, it may be hard to get them here as cruising starts back.  It becomes a debate for those of us living in vacation areas when we can no longer get a test when we are ill and may have covid because  so many travelers are getting them. 

As Princess does not come back to Florida until November out of Fort Lauderdale, it’s not something that needs to be worried about for Princess cruisers and we will see where everything lands at that point in time. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I am now thinking this new testing requirement is going to cause Princess more damage than the MC App issues.  At least with MC App, there are workarounds to get people checked-in and onto the ship.

And the pity is that this extra testing is largely a waste of time, money and effort when the cruise is for the fully-vaccinated. 

I don't agree that it's a waste of time, money, and effort...26 crew members are positive on the Vista. Their crew is supposed to be vaccinated. The majestic remains under observation for cases, yet I've not heard of cases being reported. I am not so sure the Carnival corporation is being forthright about the cases on their ships. 

2 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I know the lady is in a wheelchair so nothing is easy , they were leaving to drive to Seattle tomorrow morning . I told her to pretend she was going in NCL and get in their testing line !!!!

That won't work, wrong Pier and the wrong day, you also need a NCL booking number to get the test. If anyone coming into Seattle that needs a COVID test this Dr. can help you out, he comes to you. Sound Mobile Diagnostics  https://soundmobilediagnostics.com/ 

The number of cases here in the Pacific Northwest are rising everyday.

Edited by Eaglecw
  • Like 1

There's a small pharmacy down the street from me that has signs up and down the main road a good couple of miles along the road that is advertising travel testing. We have a tight turn around because my son finishes school on Thursday and my husband has to pack him and drive him home and be home by Friday afternoon to get tested to fly out Saturday morning for a Monday cruise. We also have to find time to reunite him with the dogs and have him spend some time with them before getting them to the kennel at 7pm on Friday. I have a feeling like they're going to trash half of his room instead of dealing with it or end up packing into the night and driving home and putting the car in the garage to deal with after the cruise.

1 hour ago, Informatics Nurse said:

I don't agree that it's a waste of time, money, and effort...26 crew members are positive on the Vista. Their crew is supposed to be vaccinated. The majestic remains under observation for cases, yet I've not heard of cases being reported. I am not so sure the Carnival corporation is being forthright about the cases on their ships. 

Wow!  This makes me nervous to cruise. That’s quite a bit of crew on the Vista infected.  And I didn’t realize the Majestic was under observation.  

3 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

She is in Reno NV good news our Airport has tests available $60 each . I will book ours for Sept 10 th and just pay to avoid the worry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

My friend had Covid testing booked for 4 pm today , CVS just informed her they have run out of tests , after an hour on hold to Princess she was offered a full refund . She is devastated they were shocked at the indifference of Princess .

That makes me nervous. I have an appointment with CVS for next Thursday before my cruise on August 22. I would hope that CVS would reserve the number of tests needed for people with appointments. I just checked the website, and they're still taking appointments for that date.

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

That makes me nervous. I have an appointment with CVS for next Thursday before my cruise on August 22. I would hope that CVS would reserve the number of tests needed for people with appointments. I just checked the website, and they're still taking appointments for that date.

I've had some uneasy thoughts about this as well. After lots of running around in circles, we finally have what ought to be a bulletproof setup for the testing. But will it be? If they need the tests before our appointments, will they save ours or use them for folks who certainly might need them worse? 🥺

9 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I've had some uneasy thoughts about this as well. After lots of running around in circles, we finally have what ought to be a bulletproof setup for the testing. But will it be? If they need the tests before our appointments, will they save ours or use them for folks who certainly might need them worse? 🥺

Who knows all this added worry is unwelcome isn't it .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

My friend had Covid testing booked for 4 pm today , CVS just informed her they have run out of tests , after an hour on hold to Princess she was offered a full refund . She is devastated they were shocked at the indifference of Princess .

I'm sorry this happened to your friend, however, it could have been worse had she taken the test today and driven to Seattle. The earliest you can take the test for the Sunday's sailing of the Majestic Princess is tomorrow, Thursday.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, Tedferg said:

FYI DW and I had simultaneous tests at Kaiser, Sat morning 9:30 for a Tues 6:30 am flight. Mine came back Sunday afternoon. Nothing for DW - we went to airport Monday afternoon and paid $129 for Carbon Health - 2 hour response. DW Kaiser response came through Monday evening 8:30. $129 was worth it for peace of mind !

Notice Princess 3 day gives more flexibility than 72 hours.

Looking at options in my area, we have various pharmacies doing tests, my DH has Kaiser, I don't.  Looking at the various options and turn around times, I located a Carbon Health facility that does test for travel for a fee.  I like the idea that the specific web site for scheduling is for travel purposes only.   I agree well worth the fee to be confident results will come through on time.

When looking at various pharmacy sites, ran across that NCL has developed a relationship with CVS.  So when NCL cruiser go for test they provide info on the cruise booking.    For that reason I would avoid CVS, since not cruising on NCL.  But thought very nice of NCL to set something up with CVS for their passengers. 

I plan to use Carbon Health. 

3 hours ago, eclue said:

Check the CDC color status for cruises - will show which ships are green, yellow, orange or red....

Will give you an idea of the covid spreading on the ships.

Do not think this is a good idea, reporting of cases has not been that reliable in general. 

34 minutes ago, sfkaren said:

I'm sorry this happened to your friend, however, it could have been worse had she taken the test today and driven to Seattle. The earliest you can take the test for the Sunday's sailing of the Majestic Princess is tomorrow, Thursday.

Yes I misunderstood her it was CVS 4PM tomorrow ..at least CVS called and let her know ...they are lucky doing B2B I am not sure how as we could not book that . Also Princess has upgraded them on the first cruise from an Inside to a Balcony .All worked out well for them,

5 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Looking at options in my area, we have various pharmacies doing tests, my DH has Kaiser, I don't.  Looking at the various options and turn around times, I located a Carbon Health facility that does test for travel for a fee.  I like the idea that the specific web site for scheduling is for travel purposes only.   I agree well worth the fee to be confident results will come through on time.

When looking at various pharmacy sites, ran across that NCL has developed a relationship with CVS.  So when NCL cruiser go for test they provide info on the cruise booking.    For that reason I would avoid CVS, since not cruising on NCL.  But thought very nice of NCL to set something up with CVS for their passengers. 

I plan to use Carbon Health. 

I think we may go this route too.  Cost is over $100 (says price varies) but might be worth it for piece of mind and they have a lot of available appointments.  Plus they seem geared towards travel purposes.  

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

CVS Minute Clinic just confirmed my test for tomorrow. Both for 5:20 & 6:50. I had canceled 6:50 but it didn't take. I don't want to try again bc I'm concerned I'll wind up with nothing. 

At least here the positivity rate is going back down.

If I test positive (1.6% ate false positives) can I lift and shift to next month, September 2021? 

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

CVS Minute Clinic just confirmed my test for tomorrow. Both for 5:20 & 6:50. I had canceled 6:50 but it didn't take. I don't want to try again bc I'm concerned I'll wind up with nothing. 

At least here the positivity rate is going back down.

If I test positive (1.6% ate false positives) can I lift and shift to next month, September 2021? 

I was told by my health provider that you can test up to 3 times in one day and it would still be covered by Federal government/health provider.  Good Luck.  Hope it is negative.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Brevard county is Florida announced shortages and as cases are surging in Florida, it may be hard to get them here as cruising starts back.  It becomes a debate for those of us living in vacation areas when we can no longer get a test when we are ill and may have covid because  so many travelers are getting them. 

As Princess does not come back to Florida until November out of Fort Lauderdale, it’s not something that needs to be worried about for Princess cruisers and we will see where everything lands at that point in time. 

I know you must know FL and PE are in Broward County.  Brevard would cover Disney and some Carnival up at Cape Canaveral, though.

6 hours ago, Informatics Nurse said:

What makes you suspicious of CCL and Princess in this regard?  They could face severe penalties I presume.  What makes you think Majestic is under observation?  I did read some CDC reps were on board week 1, but are they still there?  What did you mean by "observation"?  Makes it seem like someone needs to keep an eye on them. 

ETA - I know for YELLOW, it states on CDC that ships are under observation, but that could mean watching the required reports, no?

5 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Wow!  This makes me nervous to cruise. That’s quite a bit of crew on the Vista infected.  And I didn’t realize the Majestic was under observation.  

I am asking about that above as she makes it sound ominous.

4 hours ago, eclue said:

Check the CDC color status for cruises - will show which ships are green, yellow, orange or red....

Will give you an idea of the covid spreading on the ships.

It's been reported that those color codes are not all current.  Not sure if correct, but I think when Majestic began sailing with pax that some crew had not completed second vaccine + 14 days?

Edited by Steelers36