Final Thoughts on Grand NE Cruise on Constitution, 24 July - 3 Aug 2021

twototravel

I completed a review for Cruise Critic and got confirmation that it was published but can't find it other than thru the link they sent. It was very generic without any real details.

Wanted to share the comments that I intend to send to ACL either via direct email or on a post cruise survey:

- We paid a premium price for this cruise, but generally didn't feel we had that level of service. I'm hoping this will change as time goes by as we did book another cruise for next year while onboard. Biggest problem is lack of training for dining and housekeeper crew and turnover, either from crew quitting and going out on vacation, or being transferred to another ship.

- Pre cruise hotel stay was very, very nice. The Four Seasons is across the street from Boston Common. Be sure to go to the Happy Hour on Friday and Saturday nights. Wonderful snacks and free alcohol. The breakfast buffet for cruisers is amazing. It's a buffet with an omelet station. Covid testing and check of vaccination cards can be done either before or after. There were a couple buses departing the hotel and in your welcome packet it tells you what bus to get on. The city tour lasted about 2 hours arriving at the ship at 1230. Walk on passengers were already in their cabins. 

- Passenger accountability was hit or miss. The scanners mounted near the doors were not used (told they had been broken for weeks) so a crew member checked us off, sometimes. To not know the exact number of passengers and crew aboard at any given time seems very reckless to me.

- Excursions and ports were great. We only had a couple changes...we had to skip Provincetown due to a covid outbreak so we visited Newport twice since the first time we had to dock in Fall River because of the Newport Jazz Festival. Second time we docked right in Newport. 

- On day of embarkation our room was not cleaned when we arrived, nor were there towels, soap, and shampoo. I had to do remedial cleaning in the bathroom and around the Keurig, and luckily we had brought own own bath toiletries. However, the remainder of our cruise our cabin was kept clean and stocked with necessary toiletries.

- Cabin was a nice size and the bathroom larger than other small cruise ships we have been on.

- Ship Wifi was essentially non existent. ACL needs to spend the money and buy equipment and/or service that works, or change their advertising. Since we hugged the shore most of the trip, Wifi should be available.

- Open seating did not exist. Because we ate at the same time most days, we were asked to sit as a certain table with others that arrived at the same time. We were not able to sit where we wanted so we could meet other passengers. On the day of disembarkation, most passengers came to breakfast at the same time. We saw so many faces we didn't recognize which is a shame on this size ship.

- Food was delicious, but at times arrived cold. Lots of seafood and fresh fish. Service was especially slow at breakfast. One day we waited almost an hour for our food. Other passengers missed their breakfast altogether before having to depart for an excursion. However, when at a port with an excursion that started at 8:30, they did open the dining room at 7am. Normal opening time was 7:30. We had an additional dining manager added the last few days of the cruise, but saw no difference. I tried to order an alternate entree one evening and was told no, they weren't available. The bread served at lunch and dinner was just okay. It was served cold, was dry and crumbly. They definitely need to upgrade their bread.

- We appreciated the early riser breakfast served in the 3rd and 4th deck lounges. Although we used our Keurig every morning for our first cup, we liked getting perked coffee before breakfast. The first few days the early riser only had pastries, but mid cruise, it switched to pastries, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, milk and juice. 

- Beer was available in the lounges throughout the day. However, when snacks were brought in, only one tray was set out and not replenished. No staff was visible at the lounges during the day to help maintain cleanliness and replenish snacks.

- We enjoyed having the Back Porch, as an alternative eating location. It was open 11-5 and served hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, nachos, etc. They also had yummy ice cream - a variety of cones and sandwiches. 

- Excursions were fine, although they lacked organization at times. Bottled water was only sometimes available when exiting the ship.

- Having the audio and camera in the third floor lounge was nice. We were able to watch the briefings and entertainment from our cabin. We had never seen this on our other small ship cruises.

- Staff were okay about reminding passengers to wear masks when in, and traversing the ship's public areas. Crew always wore their masks. Most passengers wore their masks throughout the cruise.

- The ship's doctor was great. I had trouble with my arthritic knees, and he gave me OTC tylenol and ibruprofen twice a day which helped. He was even willing to order a knew brace for me on their dime, but I declined as I knew I wouldn't wear it.

- Disembarkation could have been handled more efficiently. Bags had to be outside room by 12 midnight regardless of how you were traveling home. Everyone off the ship by 8:30. Dining room opened at 6:30. Bags were tagged with A, B or C for the airport shuttles. C was for folks leaving the earliest, B next, then A. Only one bus was allowed to pull onto the dock at a time, so it was a big rush for everyone to get onboard the first bus. There were 4 more waiting to pull up after the first one departed. There was quite a bit of traffic, so expect a longer travel time than normal to the airport. ACL told us to not book flights until at least 12 noon. 

• Like 2