Carry on wine corkage fee

Have done a search, but yielded no results since cruising has restarted.  Has anyone carried on a bottle or 2 of wine and been charged a corkage fee in MDR or a specialty restaurant?  Just wondering if Royal will start applying that policy as a way to make up for lost revenue.  TIA!

6 minutes ago, JBSteelerfan said:

Have done a search, but yielded no results since cruising has restarted.  Has anyone carried on a bottle or 2 of wine and been charged a corkage fee in MDR or a specialty restaurant?  Just wondering if Royal will start applying that policy as a way to make up for lost revenue.  TIA!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/charge-corkage-fee

Does Royal Caribbean charge a corkage fee?

Yes. Guests who consume their personal wine and champagne in public areas, will incur a $15 corkage fee per bottle. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

I've never tried, but I plan to when I go in May...but my understanding is that it's hit or miss as to whether or not RCCI actually enforces the corkage fee.  Technically, yes.  But you may get a waiter who either can't be arsed to put in the fee or waives it for you for other reasons.  Or you may incur the charge.  Either way, it's cheaper than buying their bottles of wine or getting your wine by the glass, so I figure it's a no-lose situation, but of course, having no fee is a bigger win. 🙂

Edited by kayjaypea42
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've had it applied in the past to a bottle of wine my TA sent. Was a bottle royal provided left in my cabin. Like $13? Seems like a affront to charge corkage for their own bottle of wine.

I brought my own travel corkscrew.

Yes, I understand Royal's policy, and also know if varies from ship to ship and even sailing to sailing.  And we have NEVER been charged in the past either.  But, just trying to see if anyone over the past month or 2 since things have restarted, have been charged.

Varies for us.  We have asked the waiters to charge us and sometimes they still don't.  Essentially it is an extra tip for the assistant waiter.  A bottle of Berringers White Zinfandel is $8 in Publix plus $15 - cheaper than the $33 plus 18% onboard.  And Dom Perignon is $158+$15 as opposed to around $230+18%.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I've brought bottles of wine to the MDR a few times and have never been charged a corkage fee.

Same here we always bring two bottles, do not remember last time we were charged ,  on Celebrity they almost always charge and there corkage is 25.

I bring two bottles on every cruise and have never been charged. If you're worried about it you can request wine glasses at a bar and walk into the dining room with your already poured wine.

I've cruised once on Norwegian and they did the charge as part of boarding when you declared your bottles.

11 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I have always requested one from the cabin steward.

I did too a longs time ago, but lost it. I ordered 3 bottles of wine to be delivered to my cabin, just wanted to make short I could open the wine or I'd have to use my my teeth or break the top over the side of the balcony rail. LOL

4 minutes ago, bourbon52 said:

I did too a longs time ago, but lost it. I ordered 3 bottles of wine to be delivered to my cabin, just wanted to make short I could open the wine or I'd have to use my my teeth or break the top over the side of the balcony rail. LOL

Whether I need it or not, I always have a corkscrew (with knife style foil cutter) in our first aid kit. 

• Like 2

In the past I have opened the bottle in my own room (after asking the cabin steward for a corkscrew and wine glasses) - poured the wine in my cabin, and carried it down to the MDR.

On my last (domestic) flight TSA confiscated a small nail clipper that had one of those small nail file extensions, so would probably not bring a corkscrew if flying to port.  Funny thing is that they did not confiscate the grooming scissors that were in the same bag (which are much, much sharper). I did have the option to have them "hold" if for me in storage. I said "seriously, just chuck it" and she just gave me a shrug.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Travel R said:

In the past I have opened the bottle in my own room (after asking the cabin steward for a corkscrew and wine glasses) - poured the wine in my cabin, and carried it down to the MDR.

On my last (domestic) flight TSA confiscated a small nail clipper that had one of those small nail file extensions, so would probably not bring a corkscrew if flying to port.  Funny thing is that they did not confiscate the grooming scissors that were in the same bag (which are much, much sharper). I did have the option to have them "hold" if for me in storage. I said "seriously, just chuck it" and she just gave me a shrug.

I always put the corkscrew in my checked luggage inside the first aid kit. No issues with the airlines or cruise lines. 🍷

21 hours ago, Nautical but Nice said:

I brought 2 bottles on board the Adventure a couple weeks ago.  Brought both to the dining room on separate nights and wasn't charged the $15 fee either time.  

Thank you....nice to know it hasn't happened!  I really doubt the servers want to hit us with that charge.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:14 AM, firefly333 said:

I've had it applied in the past to a bottle of wine my TA sent. Was a bottle royal provided left in my cabin. Like $13? Seems like a affront to charge corkage for their own bottle of wine.

That is not supposed to happen.  The bottle your TA sent was bought from RCI at an upcharge already and they are not supposed to charge a corkage fee for those.  Only wine you bring onboard yourself and they are inconsistent in that.

I've done what others have said and grabbed a glass from my steward or a bar and carried a glass of my own wine into the MDR.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Travel R said:

No problems with a corkscrew and foil cutter I’m your checked bag;  carry on is a different story. 
I have had the same “waiters style” corkscrew on my dop bag for about 15 years, it goes on every trip. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Travel R said:

Can you take a wine corkscrew on a plane?

The Transportation Security Administration currently states that corkscrews without blades are acceptable in carry-on bags, while those with small blades must be placed in a checked bag (as with any sharp object, they prefer it be sheathed or wrapped to prevent baggage handlers and inspectors from being injured).