Carry on wine corkage fee

2 hours ago, boscobeans said:
Can you take a wine corkscrew on a plane?

The Transportation Security Administration currently states that corkscrews without blades are acceptable in carry-on bags, while those with small blades must be placed in a checked bag (as with any sharp object, they prefer it be sheathed or wrapped to prevent baggage handlers and inspectors from being injured).

I didn't think so, but it appears you can from that statement.  You can do a lot of damage with a corkscrew.  We drive or take the train to cruises.  But, you can ask your steward for a corkscrew.  They have the plastic logo ones that the cover becomes the handle when inserted into the base.  I have several in my kitchen drawer.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, TechPotato said:

I always bring my two bottles and have never been charged corkage. If ever I was I would march straight down to Guest services and have my gratuities removed. That waiter will have cost the entire crew. 

super uncool of you

8 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Ugh.

indeed

We bring our own bottle opener, open the bottle in our room and pour a glass to take to dinner.  We have never attempted to take the bottle with us to the dining room, however. I would be interested to see if you did, would they waive the fee?  I would think so, but who knows?  🤷‍♀️

11 minutes ago, mbjonsn said:

We bring our own bottle opener, open the bottle in our room and pour a glass to take to dinner.  We have never attempted to take the bottle with us to the dining room, however. I would be interested to see if you did, would they waive the fee?  I would think so, but who knows?  🤷‍♀️

The corkage fee has nothing to do with the actual act of opening the bottle, it’s to recoup money lost on not selling that bottle. 

That said, I often take a bottle to the MDR and can not remember ever being charged. 

On 8/5/2021 at 11:37 PM, Jasukkie said:

I bring two bottles on every cruise and have never been charged. If you're worried about it you can request wine glasses at a bar and walk into the dining room with your already poured wine.

I've cruised once on Norwegian and they did the charge as part of boarding when you declared your bottles.

More often than not, NCL did not charge me.  I have the bottle in my carry on which they are welcome to examine; even when they do, enforcement is not strict.

I’m in the fine wine business and brought 2 bottles on my cruise in August on Allure. Brought to dinner twice at Chops and had opened each bottle early in the day to let breathe. The waiter and wine steward were so enamored by the bottles they called over the head Maitre D to come over and taste my wine. Let alone no corkage fee and an enjoyable night. One night we couldn’t finish the bottle and left for the staff and were super appreciative 

Just now, YankeesFan4Life said:

I’m in the fine wine business and brought 2 bottles on my cruise in August on Allure. Brought to dinner twice at Chops and had opened each bottle early in the day to let breathe. The waiter and wine steward were so enamored by the bottles they called over the head Maitre D to come over and taste my wine. Let alone no corkage fee and an enjoyable night. One night we couldn’t finish the bottle and left for the staff and were super appreciative 

Had same experience in celebrity Luminae (which almost always charges 25) but after we allowed his tasting no charge 😁, we on the other hand never left any wine for anyone ( go Yankees )

• Like 1

One cruise I took a 1980 Mondavi Cabernet.

The cork broke while the waiter was trying to open it.  They went through a lot of work to open that bottle (and YES it was worth it), but did not charge corkage.  But they did get a nice tip. 🙂

And know, the bottle was not purchased recently, I was raiding my parents collection when I ran across it.  They bought it in the 80s.  Unfortunately that had drank the entire case of 77 that I know they had.

• Like 1

We weren't charged a corkage fee, we also brought screw on 2 cap bottles of Conundrum a merlot. In our cabin we also had complimentary wine with their own corkscrew. BUT wife brought our own from bed bath and beyond just in case the supplied opener didn't work. (We traveled by car to Bayonne)

21 hours ago, SRF said:

One cruise I took a 1980 Mondavi Cabernet.

The cork broke while the waiter was trying to open it.  They went through a lot of work to open that bottle (and YES it was worth it), but did not charge corkage.  But they did get a nice tip. 🙂

And know, the bottle was not purchased recently, I was raiding my parents collection when I ran across it.  They bought it in the 80s.  Unfortunately that had drank the entire case of 77 that I know they had.

I sure that Mondavi was delicious, funny I was on MSc in there steak restaurant, wine list was pretty bad , waiter was trying to convince me that mondavi Woodbridge was a Napa wine because it said California on it , finally found something that was ok.