Why Do People Complain

Elaine515

Why do some people feel its necessary to post on a Roll Call, Add to an existing thread or Start their own about how horrible their cruise was??

The service was terrible, the food was awful, the ship rocked, I didn't get a towel animal on the last night, it rained the whole week, they didn't play the music I liked etc etc...

I have also noticed that most of these post are from people who just signed up. Is it someone who is jealous that we're cruising? Is it someone who just isn't happy with life and has nothing better to do? Are they trying to make us feel bad about going on a cruise or picking one company/ship over another???

I read some of the posts and pretty much ignore them, because if the food is no good and the service was terrible, and the ship rocked and I didn't get a towel animal on the last night or they didn't play the music I liked, you can bet that I will have a good time..... :)

What are your thoughts about these posters?

03/19/2006 Costa Magica Eastern

09/02/2005 Carnival Fascination Bahamas

03/18/2005 NCL Spirit Southern

3/20/2004 Carnival Triumph Western

3/16/2003 Carnival Spirit Exotic W. Caribbean

08/02 NCL Sun

12/21/2001 Carnival Spirit Southern Caribbean

10/15/2000 Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean

1/31/2000 Ecstasy Western Caribbean

10/17/1999 Carnival Destiny Western Caribbean

10/98 RCL Grandeur of the Seas

10/18/1997 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean

10/6/1996 Carnival Sensation Western Caribbean

10/7/1995 Carnival Imagination Western Caribbean

10/94 Dolphin IV

11/6/1993 Carnival Celebration

11/1/1986 Carnival Carnivale

Why do some people feel its necessary to post on a Roll Call, Add to an existing thread or Start their own about how horrible their cruise was??

The service was terrible, the food was awful, the ship rocked, I didn't get a towel animal on the last night, it rained the whole week, they didn't play the music I liked etc etc...

I have also noticed that most of these post are from people who just signed up. Is it someone who is jealous that we're cruising? Is it someone who just isn't happy with life and has nothing better to do? Are they trying to make us feel bad about going on a cruise or picking one company/ship over another???

I read some of the posts and pretty much ignore them, because if the food is no good and the service was terrible, and the ship rocked and I didn't get a towel animal on the last night or they didn't play the music I liked, you can bet that I will have a good time..... :)

I agree Elaine.. People complain just to complain... I love the spirited discussions on these boards and I like when people have comments that can be used to improve that of other peoples choices and/or upcoming cruises.

I have found many negative reviews that have been helpful in choosing my next trip. I also find some negative reviews that are so bland and run of the mill that they serve no purpose other then to complain.

If someone has a great time.. Tell us all about it.. If you don't tell us about it so that we can learn from your experiences. Don't just trash the cruise line and run.

I agree Elaine.. People complain just to complain... I love the spirited discussions on these boards and I like when people have comments that can be used to improve that of other peoples choices and/or upcoming cruises.

I have found many negative reviews that have been helpful in choosing my next trip. I also find some negative reviews that are so bland and run of the mill that they serve no purpose other then to complain.

If someone has a great time.. Tell us all about it.. If you don't tell us about it so that we can learn from your experiences. Don't just trash the cruise line and run.

ditto !

Any time I don't have to make my own bed, the service is great. Any food I don't have to cook is delicious (that's not a put-down of my cooking, I just get so tired of doing it!). I got a brochure on how to make towel animals, so if I don't get one, I'll just make my own. If the ship rocks I'll take a dramamine; if it rains all week, it's just that much more time to spend alone with my hubby (and swimming in a warm rain--no lightening--is really fun!). And if I don't like the music I can always sing something else to myself.

When you read the member reviews of ships it's obvious that some people will never be happy with anything. I really recommend the Pollyanna approach.

I agree totally.

We cruised with Princess before I knew about this site so we are a little bit in the know but I have found CC to be ever so helpful & the ideas that have come my way are never ending.

We leave in 23 days & we can't wait.

Our group of 13 are going to reap the benefits of all your ideas although there might be some Good Natured grumbling when I hand out the Scavenger Hunt lists.(An idea I'll blame on you guys LOL)

As far as the Complainers that offer no solutions I ignore them.

If my ship comes in & takes me away, I'm Happy!!

OK, I have just signed up and you will never read that kind of complaining from me!! I agree, I think there are some people out there who just can't be happy no matter where they are. Actually, the only vacation I may comlain about is one that is not a cruise!

Happy Cruising ;)

I have always heard the saying " you talk just to hear yourself talk"( I may not have it exactly) I think some of them feel better just to type in their tirades and rants and go back and read them. Who knows maybe it makes them feel better to see their complaints in print. :rolleyes: Sometimes it can be entertaining to others. :)

No offense, but aren't you complaining about complaints?

It's just in people's nature to get things off their chests. When someone has a beef they express it. No one thinks they're "complaining." That has such a negative connotation. From their point of view, they are just telling you their experience or voicing their opinions.

I find "complaints" helpful when they're well founded. This site is called cruise critic.

Of course there are a lot of unfounded complaints by our fellow critics. The best defense against those "complainers" is to just ignore it and the post will drop away into the oblivion.

After dying and going to heaven, a man noticed a complaint box just beyond the pearly gates. He immediately thought it strange. He asked, " Why is there a complaint box in heaven? Isn't everyone supposed to be happy here?". St. Peter replied, "Some people just aren't happy unless they can complain".

author unknown

Try being ON the ship with them. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I like having a balcony - no whiners there. ;)

Ya know your right! Don't hear many complaints from the Balconys!.....LOL:D I could be wrong, if so ...please use the leather whip whilts beating thou...:rolleyes:

Most of their posts are lies made up just to put down Carnival. Some are even paid by other companies to do this.

What bothers me is when someone comes on and posts that they had a horrible cruise and will write a review soon, and then they never write the review and they don't tell us what went wrong to cause them to have such a miserable cruise. :mad: To me, that is NOT constructive criticism, it is just plain "complaining".

I don't mind people telling the good and bad about their cruise, but when they bash the whole cruise from start to finish I can't help but believe that they are just "complainers" who are just too darn hard to please.

I like the reviews if they are constructive. I can't help but roll my eyes at the posters who hate Carnival because their cruise was ruined due to the hurricane! Here I thought it was Bush's fault. Now it's Carnivals fault? I never know who to blame....hehe

Seriously though, I have never been on cruise. We booked our first one for this December. I come hear and read these threads with people complaining about the food, the lights in the dining room, the kids, people wearing jeans. As long as I am having a good time they can hang those jeans from the pink lights in the dining room and feed me those kids for dinner! It sure beats being in the cold and snow!!!

These people are probably complainers in the other aspects of life too.

Actually, there is data in the social science literature suggesting that for some people, a relatively anonymous forum like this provides an outlet to vent, in a manner that is relatively free of consequences, and provides a catharsis.

They may be NOTHING like that in real life.

I have a friend who is a very upbeat person. But she happens to be an artist, and some of her work is dark and ominous (and she says there is a closetful of stuff that is so dark she won't show it to anyone).

No offense, but aren't you complaining about complaints?

Gatorclaw:

My thoughts exactly. :)

Personally I don't mind the occasional negative thread and I definately don't mind reading negative reviews; they make the positive reviews all the more pleasant.

Given that I am someone who recently started a thread that was generally received as negative, I can speak from experience and say that being negative is not always the intent of the OPs. In my case, I was very quickly proven to be mistaken in my threads title but the discussion generated by the thread was enlightening and entertaining to a degree. :)

This thread is a thread complaining about complaining, but the discussion thus far has also been productive. Did this thread just disprove the OPs intent? ;)

Any time I don't have to make my own bed, the service is great. Any food I don't have to cook is delicious (that's not a put-down of my cooking, I just get so tired of doing it!). I got a brochure on how to make towel animals, so if I don't get one, I'll just make my own. If the ship rocks I'll take a dramamine; if it rains all week, it's just that much more time to spend alone with my hubby (and swimming in a warm rain--no lightening--is really fun!). And if I don't like the music I can always sing something else to myself.

When you read the member reviews of ships it's obvious that some people will never be happy with anything. I really recommend the Pollyanna approach.

I couldn't have said it better, I feel the exact same way. I WILL have a great time period! I guess it all has to do with gratitude, and surprisingly alot of folks don't have that gift yet.

OK, I have just signed up and you will never read that kind of complaining from me!! I agree, I think there are some people out there who just can't be happy no matter where they are. Actually, the only vacation I may comlain about is one that is not a cruise!

Happy Cruising ;)

YEP !:D

Actually, I didn't read Elaine's post as complaining. She was just wondering why certain people act (post) the way they do. I've often wondered the same thing myself, and there was a thread (don't know if it's still there) in the Floataway Lounge on Pet Peeves. This kind of thing was mentioned a lot there.

....the ship rocked, I didn't get a towel animal on the last night, etc etc...

It took me a minute to follow this...

I am of a generation that, if "something rocked," that is a *good* thing.

(I tend to use the word "slosh" for what ships sometimes do.)

Archived