Transfers to the port from 'Up North'

Jammy Bun

We're outside the included 250 miles, and I do know that we can pay extra mileage costs and still use the Saga transfer service to get to the port - but can any of you that have travelled from further afield tell me what time you were collected for the journey?  And was it stressful, wondering if there might be delays on the way to the port?  

You could also consider the option of a flight or train journey or the less appealing free parking.

Only a Saga rep could give you reliable info on these options and it seems speaking to someone on the phone is very difficult at the moment with long wait times. You could also try online chat.

Hopefully someone who is outside the 250 miles will be along to advise.

6 hours ago, Glenndale said:

You could also consider the option of a flight or train journey or the less appealing free parking.

Only a Saga rep could give you reliable info on these options and it seems speaking to someone on the phone is very difficult at the moment with long wait times. You could also try online chat.

Hopefully someone who is outside the 250 miles will be along to advise.

Would be good if that was an option, but it's 3 or 4 separate train journeys depending on route (6 or 7 hours!) plus short taxi transfers at each end... and we all know how reliable the UK rail network is!!!  I wouldn't consider flying at the moment (not even for a Viking cruise, which as I've said in other conversations is our perfect match) - and sadly we both have eye problems which make long distance driving impossible.  So it's a taxi transfer for us I'm afraid.  Just really wondering what margins Saga drivers leave to make certain they arrive in good time.  

I'll wait until we make a decision about the cruise, there is still plenty of availability for the one I'm watching, no point bothering a Saga rep if we're not really serious.

Thanks for all your input though, it's much appreciated.

• Like 1

Can pay extra at 1.85p a mile (I think) over the 250 miles. How far outside it are you.

Other alternative is Manchester to Southampton flight . Saga will arrange flight plus transfer from Southampton.  You need to get yourselves to Manchester Airport. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

On 8/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, Jammy Bun said:

We're outside the included 250 miles, and I do know that we can pay extra mileage costs and still use the Saga transfer service to get to the port - but can any of you that have travelled from further afield tell me what time you were collected for the journey?  And was it stressful, wondering if there might be delays on the way to the port?  

not quite the same but sort of relevant.  We used to use the Titan pick up service from northumberland to heathrow, but the projected pick-up times were far too early. So we used to get them to pick us up the day before and take us to a hotel near heathrow, where we stayed the night.  The (shared) cars took up to four passengers.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Can pay extra at 1.85p a mile (I think) over the 250 miles. How far outside it are you.

Other alternative is Manchester to Southampton flight . Saga will arrange flight plus transfer from Southampton.  You need to get yourselves to Manchester Airport. 

Taxi to our local station, then two trains to the airport... carrying luggage (and - OMG - more than normal as we'll have to take dressy clothes 😳) ... and waiting in MAN two hours before the flight?  Even if we took a cab from here to the airport I don't think that sounds a stress free way to start a holiday!  No, it'll be a taxi transfer all the way, whether it's included or whether we pay for it. I like the idea of putting the bags in the car boot at the front door, and not having to touch them again until we get to the ship.  The cost isn't really an issue when you're talking about a cruise costing thousands.   I'm really trying to find out roughly when we would be collected from home in order to get to the ship for sailaway.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.   Appreciate your interest.

53 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

Taxi to our local station, then two trains to the airport... carrying luggage (and - OMG - more than normal as we'll have to take dressy clothes 😳) ... and waiting in MAN two hours before the flight?  Even if we took a cab from here to the airport I don't think that sounds a stress free way to start a holiday!  No, it'll be a taxi transfer all the way, whether it's included or whether we pay for it. I like the idea of putting the bags in the car boot at the front door, and not having to touch them again until we get to the ship.  The cost isn't really an issue when you're talking about a cruise costing thousands.   I'm really trying to find out roughly when we would be collected from home in order to get to the ship for sailaway.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.   Appreciate your interest.

Personally, I would travel down the day before. Far less stressful! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Personally, I would travel down the day before. Far less stressful! 

I definitely agree, but the Saga shared transport system makes no allowance for you to go the day before by chauffeur car. A weakness.

We live 3.5 To 4 hrs away,  normally go a couple of nights before and stay in New forest hotel ,a stay and park package,  adds to holiday. However as our Saga cruise is 32 days my wife says that's long enough away from home. So going on the day.  But I think it's less stressful that Saga are responsible for getting us there on time. Unlike other cruise lines where it's at your own risk.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

In the days when Saga did fly cruises, we used to travel to the airport with the included transport the day before and stay in a hotel in the airport. This was stress free and no problem to Saga. We were also able to choose our time of travel. We did however have to pay a supplement for a private transfer and of course the hotel.

Our experience on Saga cruises is that departure is delayed if passengers using included transfers have not yet arrived as it is their responsibility to get you to the ship.
We were once on an Oceania cruise which sailed from Southampton on the dot of 5pm when at least 30 passengers had not arrived due to a severe accident blocking the M3. We met them the next morning, staggering bleary eyed up the gangway having had to take the overnight ferry to Le Havre. This taught us to travel to the port the night before unless using included transport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I definitely agree, but the Saga shared transport system makes no allowance for you to go the day before by chauffeur car. A weakness.

Agreed.

As I recall, at one time you could book with Titan to go on Saga cruises, and if you booked with Titan they could take you down the day before and put you in a hotel.  Mind you, that was probably at the time they were both owned by the same holding company.  These days Titan don't seem to offer Saga  cruises.

5 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I definitely agree, but the Saga shared transport system makes no allowance for you to go the day before by chauffeur

I agree, but Jammy Bun was talking about using a private transfer, as they were outside  the  250 mile transfer area.

• Like 1

I think I simplest option would  be for Saga to offer discount for not using inclusive transport, based on say an average cost of average distance of say 150 miles. You could then arrange own transport. As Jammybun says compared to cost of cruise this is a small amount .

However for those that like to be driven and like to go the night before , who mainly  live more than 75 miles away,  then they get no recompense for not using any of Saga transport options, that you have paid for. It's  paying for something you don't use, not the money I would object to.

• Like 2

Hello Jammy Bun!

We’re on Discovery late Sept and are beyond the 250 miles limit. We have booked Saga transport as although it’s costing a few Bob more, it’s still cheaper than the return rail fares from Darlo to Southampton. 

Expecting an early start though, but that’s no problem at all. 
Will try and remember to post a update on here for you! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr&MrsHendricks said:

Hello Jammy Bun!

We’re on Discovery late Sept and are beyond the 250 miles limit. We have booked Saga transport as although it’s costing a few Bob more, it’s still cheaper than the return rail fares from Darlo to Southampton. 

Thanks!  I’ll be really interested to hear about your journey.  I’m considering a November one.  😊

15 hours ago, Mr&MrsHendricks said:

Hello Jammy Bun!

That's a fair old trip  - over 6 hours including stops. I hope you have a sociable driver ! 

Hi,

Fingers crossed we sail in January..... Saga have agreed to my transfer at no extra cost..... am just south of Durham. My friend is being picked up separately in Surrey. There's no way I could take a train or plane with luggage for 12 weeks!! Last year with CMV I drove to Tilbury the day before. Not up to the drive now......

One slightly related question.  I know all transfers are private at moment,  but under normal circumstances the limit is 75 miles.  You pay £1.85 per mile for private . Is this for miles  over and above 75 miles. For example If you live 80 miles away do you pay extra for 5 miles or 80 miles.

If you want a private car in normal circumstances, you pay for mileage over 75 miles only.  We have booked a private car from Devon to Southampton for our cruise next year, and it will cost us £70.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a thought. Has anyone used a private luggage transfer from home to ship and return? Would make taking the train less stressful.

@Mr&MrsHendricks would be interested to know what you're being charged for transfer. Am near Boro.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

On 8/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, Windsurfboy said:

One slightly related question.  I know all transfers are private at moment,  but under normal circumstances the limit is 75 miles.  You pay £1.85 per mile for private . Is this for miles  over and above 75 miles. For example If you live 80 miles away do you pay extra for 5 miles or 80 miles.

One thing to note, all transfers this year are private. As to 'normal circumstances' that seems like a pipe dream at the moment 😢

Edited by Glenndale

Hello there Linda,  @NorbertsNiece

We’re travelling from TS14, which of course is beyond the 250 miles so a charge is applied for the additional miles incurred.
I think we’ve paid c. £140 more,  which we’re happy with.  We had elected to go on a shared transfer, but I think all transfers at the mo are private so we’re onto a winner there!!

I think you can get a quote on the MySaga bit of your booking.  

Our first time with Sage.  Normally we’d get the direct train from Darlo to Winchester the day before and stop over there.  Beautiful city and worth a visit.  Then a taxi to the docks.  No direct trains at present though, so change at New Street I think.  

@Jammy BunNo notification of pick up time just yet for our jolly on 24th, but I’m not overly concerned at that at all. It’s nearly 300 miles, so c. 5 hours or so.  Boarding time will determine our start time I’d imagine! 
Cheers!

Mr. H. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr&MrsHendricks said:

Hello there Linda,  @NorbertsNiece

We’re travelling from TS14, which of course is beyond the 250 miles so a charge is applied for the additional miles incurred.
I think we’ve paid c. £140 more,  which we’re happy with.  We had elected to go on a shared transfer, but I think all transfers at the mo are private so we’re onto a winner there!!

I think you can get a quote on the MySaga bit of your booking.  

Our first time with Sage.  Normally we’d get the direct train from Darlo to Winchester the day before and stop over there.  Beautiful city and worth a visit.  Then a taxi to the docks.  No direct trains at present though, so change at New Street ........

Coming from TS20..... no charge applied as yet......

• 2 weeks later...

Maps says 5 and a half hours no stops , add in two stops that's 7 hours. That's 3.30 pm., not much contingency . Hopefully the ..... will not decide to target other roads than m25

Personally as it's private transfers  , I'd have asked to go day before and stayed in hotel over night.

Have a good cruise

• Like 1