Going ashore on Mexican Riviera

Shellbelle28

I've got a Mexican Riviera cruise booked in late October. I know things can and probably will change, but what are the current conditions (from Mexico, not the cruiselines) for vaccinated passengers going ashore? Is there a mask requirement?

Edited by Shellbelle28

In Puerto Vallarta masks are required. (But not all tourists wear them...)  Also restaurants can only have 50% occupancy. Most bars are closed.Covid numbers are up and most hospitals are full unfortunately.  Of course by October it can be very different. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I am taking a Mex Riviera cruise in Oct too and I don't plan to leave the ship. I've been to every city on the itinerary multiple times. For me it is to getaway and relax for the first time since March 2020.

Yeah, that may end up being the case with us too. Our last cruise ended February of 2020. Mostly it's about getting away and relaxing. I've booked spa passes, so we can go soak and steam while in port. 

I was in Mexico last weekend and felt that people are way more cautious regarding COVID in Mexico than in the US.   This is probably due to the fact that the level of vaccination in Mexico is lower much than in the US.  Restaurants are still doing mandatory temperature checks and as was noted above, the capacity in facilities is still being limited.  Masks are needed for going into stores and restaurants but the level of compliance on the street varies.  

BTW - The "delta" wave is definitely underway in Mexico with cases at all time highs.  I am starting to hear about deaths again which had really tailed off for a while.  What things are like in October is simply impossible to know but I think the case rates will likely be better after another huge segment of the population gets sick or re-infected.

image.png.d5e0c1d8f8316009487a129fefc2ef47.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cruisers should be cognizant of the fact that the COVID rules in Mexico are primarily dictated State by State (by the Governors) and can change at any time with very little notice.  I mention this because the rules that exist when you book a cruise (or even today) might be completely different on the day that you get to a specific Mexican port.  Last winter in the State of Jalisco (which includes Puerto Vallarta) the Governor changed our rules with as little as 2 days notice.   Also keep in mind that the most popular cruise ports are in various States so they may well have differing rules.

Hank