All About The Premium Pass (Formerly The Pass Bar Premium Drinks Package)

AussieBoyTX

Okay, here are the highlights of the premium drinks package (known by Ponant as Pass Bar Premium).

• The cost is EUR 20 per person per day and both passengers in the cabin must subscribe to it. It may be paid for with cruise credit. If you receive onboard discounts as a Ponant Yacht Club member, that also applies.
  • It must be purchased during your first two days aboard and must be purchased for the entire (the remainder of) cruise.
  • All premium cocktails are included. 
  • Some premium spirits are included. In practice, that is all of the premium Rum, Vodka, Tequila, Gin and Beers they offer and some of the Whiskies and Champagnes. An example for single-malt Scotch:
    • Four choices, up-to Glenfiddich 12 yr are included in the package. Glenfiddich 12 is EUR 12 if ordered a la carte.
    • An additional four choices, from Lagavulin 16 to Glenmorangie Signet are not included and cost EUR 14 / EUR19.
  • A premium red & white wine are included. The premium wines sold by the bottle in the restaurants are not included. The daily cruise wines are complementary at the bar.
  • IMO, the house spirits are quite drinkable.

There was very little promotion for the package. It was mentioned briefly during the cruise director's welcome. the bartender has the drink list at hand when I asked and invited me to follow up with any questions, but beyond that didn't push the package beyond that. It's also described in the Ponant app if you happen to be connected to the ship's wifi.

It is worth your while to speak with the bar manager if you have any special requests / requirements. 

IMG_8142.thumb.jpeg.188783059eb293828e34117ef43cc8bf.jpeg

• Like 2

Can also confirm that they don‘t promote the package - are the Daily specialty cocktails still included in the premium? 

For a short cruise with OB credit to spend it might be a good way - but the price tag didn‘t justified for me the whole package price and I rather ordered some of the not included drinks on occasions 

• Like 1

We are on a 28 day cruise, 28x20euro =€560 each.

that’s a lot of $$$ (even with some good OBC).

When we did Antarctica with Ponant, we found the included alcohol perfectly adequate, although i dont think we had an option to upgrade then.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

We are on a 28 day cruise, 28x20euro =€560 each.

that’s a lot of $$$ (even with some good OBC).

When we did Antarctica with Ponant, we found the included alcohol perfectly adequate, although i dont think we had an option to upgrade then.

We had the option in Nov 2019 but I think only 2-4 people choose - the French passengers did go the wine card route for dinner (but then the bar‘s weren‘t super busy during the Antartica trip so that could also be a reason) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, mediaprohi said:

Could anyone please tell me what included Champagne and Tequila brands were available on your cruise?  Also, what were the Champagne and Tequila Pass Bar upgrade brands if any?

I assume the list can change -- I don't recall the included tequila. The Pass Bar offered:

Patron Silver 9€

Patron XO Café 12€

The included Champagne has been Henri Abelé and Veuve Clicquot is the Pass Bar Champagne by the glass @ 13€

The prices are the a la carte prices if you don't have Pass Bar.

Ah! I found a picture! The included tequila was Jose Cuervo Especial.

IMG_0950 (1).jpeg

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Like 3

The Champagne now is Baron de Rothschild Brut and on formal nights or captain's cocktails, they serve Veuve Clicquot Yellow label (included if you go for premium).

I am a Champagne lover and the previously served Henri Abelé and now Baron de Rothschild are very good so I don't bother upgrading 😉

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

A further data point. Aboard Le Commandant Charcot, Pass Bar is not offered. Instead, the alcohol options are upgraded. For gin, Aviator & Bombay Sapphire are offered complementary in the bars (and Sapphire is in the minibar) with Fever Tree mixers. There are three other gins offered. For example, Hendricks is EUR 12 per shot.

The bar menu is large and offers premium cocktails from EUR 10 all the way up to EUR 250!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read.   We are looking at Ponant as we have friends that love it.   I find the requirement that both guest in the room have to upgrade disturbing as I don't drink alcohol at all.   My partner would definitely want the premium but I would feel short changed.  

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to read.   We are looking at Ponant as we have friends that love it.   I find the requirement that both guest in the room have to upgrade disturbing as I don't drink alcohol at all.   My partner would definitely want the premium but I would feel short changed.  

If you choose to take Ponant, this is something to discuss with your bar manager. You may find some help there. 

Make sure you get your friend’s referral. It’s a nice discount for you and them. 

17 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

If you choose to take Ponant, this is something to discuss with your bar manager. You may find some help there. 

Make sure you get your friend’s referral. It’s a nice discount for you and them. 

Didn't know that.   I will make sure we do.   The are currently on le Soleal actually just looked at CruiseMapper and they are in Darwin So may be the end of their cruise.  I've been following along.

It's fun to log onto the Ship's Webcam.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 4:42 PM, AussieBoyTX said:

I assume the list can change -- I don't recall the included tequila. The Pass Bar offered:

Patron Silver 9€

Patron XO Café 12€

The included Champagne has been Henri Abelé and Veuve Clicquot is the Pass Bar Champagne by the glass @ 13€

The prices are the a la carte prices if you don't have Pass Bar.

Ah! I found a picture! The included tequila was Jose Cuervo Especial.

IMG_0950 (1).jpeg

Question - does anyone have any info on the wines they include in the Premium Pass? So far it seems a better plan if you’re a spirit drinker, but haven’t heard anything on the wines. Hubs and I are wine drinkers, with a strong preference for French wines, so we were quite thrilled to find Ponant when booking our upcoming Antarctica trip. Curious to hear feedback on the wine situation if it’s worth it for the Premium Pass, or if we’ll just plan to purchase bottles as we go. 

1 hour ago, JazzyTheTraveler said:

Question - does anyone have any info on the wines they include in the Premium Pass? So far it seems a better plan if you’re a spirit drinker, but haven’t heard anything on the wines. Hubs and I are wine drinkers, with a strong preference for French wines, so we were quite thrilled to find Ponant when booking our upcoming Antarctica trip. Curious to hear feedback on the wine situation if it’s worth it for the Premium Pass, or if we’ll just plan to purchase bottles as we go. 

I am not a wine connoisseur, but I do enjoy my reds. Personally, I didn't notice a substantial difference and in any event, it doesn't extend to the restaurants. I wouldn't get Premium Pass for the wines. 

The good news is that you have three days to sign up -- if you try a premium wine at the bar and decide it's worth getting the Premium Pass, the bar manager will cover that as your first drink in the PP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 2:57 AM, JazzyTheTraveler said:

May not be relevant for your trip, but as a data point.

Le Laperouse, Darwin to Broome in August, I took the Premium drinks package. Very disappointed in the 'premium' wines. The only 'premium' whites were an Australian chardonnay (Yering), that changed once for another Australian chardonnay (Penfolds Max's A$30/bottle) - perfectly serviceable, but neither the choice nor the wine was what I'd call premium.  The reds were a bit more varied, much like Jardin des Charmes merlot and Moulin de Gassac; again, OK but I expected better.  I ended up buying wines off the very extensive wine list for dinner - not as cheap as they might have been 'duty free'. ☺️

The premium champagne was Veuve Brut, ordinary Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.

The premium gin was Tanqueray 10 Vs Bombay and Sapphire.

If wine is your thing, I'd ask about what the premium wines will be before you buy - if my experience is typical, I wouldn't bother again.

Edited by Pumblechook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Pumblechook that is so helpful! I had a feeling given the lack of references anywhere that the wines would be a womp womp on their Premium Pass. So your recco on checking beforehand is well taken and much appreciated. Am thrilled to hear they have an extensive wine list to order from though. Getting very excited for our trip… planning this thing and all the little details literally helped me not go straight mad during covid! 

• Like 2

Now this is a wine list I can get behind!!

Happily, prices aren’t too terrible - about what I pay when purchasing retail - I suppose to be expected at the end of the world! Again, thank you so much for this info. You’ve helped put to ease the one looming question I had… what on earth will we have to drink! Clearly, it will be quite a lot of excellent wine!

• Like 1

A really interesting wine list!  I was particularly struck by this one:

AOC Crozes-Hermitages, Domaine Julien Pilon « On the Rhône Again »

I hope the taste would put the same smile on my face that the « punny » name did!

• 1 month later...

FWIW, attached is the bar menu from a recent cruise I went on on Le Lyrial showing what you get on the premium pass.

I got value from the premium pass well in excess of the price not just through the cocktails and whisky but also the red wine which was a cut above what was served in the dining room so I often took a couple of glasses down to dinner (despite my cruise being an oenological cruise - well at least theoretically as the red wine they served for the fancy gala dinner with the Michelin starred chef was a plonky $20 Argentinian Malbec, not the Gevrey Chambertin advertised which was really disappointed and the other wines were also ordinary although the champagne was Charles Heidsieck so that was something).

PONANT BAR MENU.pdf

Edited by MELso
Clarity
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the Bar Menu.   We are considering Ponant and while I don't have any experience with.

I'm don't drink but my husband enjoys Grey Goose and Tonic.    Would that be under the premium which I understand from the fine print would be applied to both of us regardless that I don't drink.  

A quick question.    Are Cappuccino's included under either package?

• Like 1