The Daily for Sunday August 08, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Cat Day, Summer Olympics Closing Ceremony, and National Zucchini Day

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain

Meal suggestion for today - Korean Chicken Bowls

Drink of the Day - Ginza Mary

Wine of the day - Frescobaldi Pomino Vinsanto - Italy - Dessert

Destination of the Day - Mumbai (Bombay) India

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Ensenada MX eta 8/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0808World.thumb.png.f036b051cd9eef8e677620231b1fe461.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

No cats in our household, DH is allergic to them.  I haven't watched much of the Olympics, hope others enjoyed them.  I need to get some zucchini to make relish.

Funny quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the wine and drink of the day are good too.

Another port I have not visited, so I will be glad to see the pictures others will post.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A salute to Cats and the Olympics.  I'll pass on the Zucchini but the Chicken Bowl sounds interesting.  I love the Mark Twain quote.  I've  been to Mumbai just once, on Queen Elizabeth.  There will be a bit of a story to my Alternative Menu Selection so I'll do that a bit later.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back in the hospital

The care list is blissfully short; I hope I didn't miss anything major.

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard KayS, cruiseMGM and 12cruise2
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8 on a BHB
Livestreaming of StLouisCruisere’s Grandson Graduation
Ger_77's family visit
HighlandChaser1957's nimble handling of phone scam
Grahan’s football team
Welcome home garlictown
Welcome to Maui, Denise
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

I have had a number of pet cats.

It has been an excellent Olympics for Great Britain.

An interesting quote from Mark Twain.

I will pass on the food and drink.

We have never been to India but been on several Emirates cruises.

We sang 2 songs at church this morning but everyone wore masks and social distancing was observed.

It is 70°F and sunny in our garden now with an occasional shower.

The current time here is 12.30pm and we will shortly have lunch outside either on the patio or in the garden Room.

Happy cruising for those currently sailing.

Prayers to anyone needing care and I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210808_124302.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s daily report.  Cheers to cats, they’re beautiful creatures.  Can’t believe the olympics are already ending. It’s zucchini’s time of year, I love zucchini bread.  Twain’s quote is funny.  The chicken bowl sounds quite nice.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for all on our prayer list thankfully it’s shorter.  Congrats to everyone celebrating today. 🥳 

• Like 22

Origin of Reports of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

This expression comes from the famous American author Samuel Clemens, whose pen name was Mark Twain. Despite being one of the most well known authors today, in the year 1897, Mark Twain was in debt. He had decided to travel to London in order to do a speaking tour, in order to earn more money and pay off his debts.

Somehow, a rumor began that he was sick, and the rumor grew until many people believed he had died. According to legend, a reporter found Mark Twain, and asked him what comment he had about the rumor that he was dead. As the story goes, Mark Twain replied,

• Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

This story grew and persisted over the years, probably because people find it as humorous today as they did back then.

Interestingly, the famous quote is actually a misquote. Mark Twain actually wrote his response in a letter. Written records show that he really said,

• The report of my death was an exaggeration.

People often quote this when someone was mistakenly thought to be dead.

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/reports-of-my-death-have-been-greatly-exaggerated

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Happy for Cat Day.IMG_0045.thumb.jpeg.bff1baa07d5e87455ce17d92781cb658.jpeg

She rules our home.  Have watched the Olympics off and on, the hours didn't work most of the time.  Love Zucchini, really miss our neighbor who used to grow them.

Will pass on the meal, but laughed at the Twain quote.  Had heard that many times over the years.

Prayers and cheers to our lists.  So happy the care list is shrinking.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ginza Mary:

Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 oz (3 parts) Sake, 1⁄2 oz (1 part) Lemon Juice, MORE
Preparation: Combine ingredients and cracked ice, mix, pour into chilled Old Fashioned Glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Old Fashioned Glass222209969_ScreenShot2021-08-08at8_00_55AM.png.8e25bfe1ff992f55810f7ac3bf37be52.png
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Haven’t watched any of the Olympics. Why does zucchini have to be so prolific? I’ve only had one cat in my life (never had pets growing up 😢), but KC was a beautiful cuddler, a stray off my church parking lot. He lived 18 years, I still miss him. 

Mark Twain was such a character; love to visit Hannibal MO to see his boyhood home.

The meal sounds delish. Didn’t know Mary had so many drinks named after her 😉. I mostly steer clear of dessert wines as they are usually sweet. 

Haven’t been to India, looking forward to pictures from the more travelled among us.

Had a great time at the theater last night (they were totally enforcing mask wearing). Our dinner was so good; we did their three-course prix fixe with warm crusty rolls and chunks of butter, followed by either appetizer (my youngest DD got her escargot) or soup (I had the most delicious French onion soup). Our 3 entrees were grilled rainbow trout, salade nicoise and chicken with mushrooms in pastry. For dessert I had a profiterole split and filled with vanilla ice cream topped with a bittersweet chocolate sauce. I regret I was too busy eating to take it’s picture.

Prayers go out to our (thankfully) short cares list 🙏. And a rousing toast to the “happy” list. Particularly looking forward to following along on the third HAL cruise to Alaska, those live from reports are a joy 🍷.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 26

Good Sunday morning everyone!  The sun is now out -- 30 minutes ago it was dense fog outside.  I'm sure the heavy downpour we had in the early evening yesterday had something to do with that.  An inch in a short period of time and it literally popped up out of nowhere.  The rest of the day should be very nice.  

Thank you @richwmnfor the Daily this morning.  We are starting to attract lots of new viewers to the group and we welcome them all.  Fantastic job @rafinmd drawing up our care and celebration lists.  That is the shortest I've seen the care list in a very long time.  I'm going to keep the victims of the Misty Fjords plane crash in my prayers along with all they left behind.  Still shocked over that event.  So, prayers to all in need and congrats to the celebrants.  I'm happy we have several CC members on the latest Alaska cruise and I am looking forward to their reports.

I have always loved today's quote from Mark Twain.  What a witty guy!  I haven't been to Mumbai before, and have no plans to do so.  Thanks to anyone who would like to add photos today.  Cats are great pets, I like zucchini made into bread, and congrats to our Olympic athletes.  I used to always watch the Olympics but didn't this time due to those who protest something while representing their country.  I am happy for all those medal winners who were proud to represent the USA!

My back has been hurting all weekend so I am trying to bolster my lumbar region while sitting.  We are at the age where getting up off the sofa or out of bed is accompanied by grunts!  😣

Have a great day!

• Like 22

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Ginza Mary:

Preparation: Combine ingredients and cracked ice, mix, pour into chilled Old Fashioned Glass.
Drinkware: Old Fashioned Glass

Here's what comes up when clicking on "More"

• 30mL vodka.
  • 30mL sake.
  • 60mL tomato juice.
  • 15mL lemon juice.
  • 2-5 dashes tabasco sauce.
  • 2 dashes soy sauce.
  • Ground black pepper.
  • Ice.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’ve never had a cat, but do like zucchini. 
Today looks like it will be a quiet day around here. I am dealing with an insurance company that represents the rehab . They sent a doctor’s bill to the wrong insurance and we tried once already to get it straightened out. 
Bureaucracy is so annoying.

Stay safe out there,

Carol 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Today is going to be a hot one.  I broke down and turned on the AC last night as it was quite muggy in the house.  It made for great sleeping and I logged 9.5 hours.  I feel great this morning!  

Nothing is planned for today, but I do have a Zoom meeting tonight.  I'm getting ready to turn the leadership of the non profit I work for over to younger, more energetic folks.   So, I'm trying to make some organizational changes so that the job isn't as daunting as it was when I took over 10 years ago.  My goal was to leave the organization in a better position than it was in when I got it.  Tonight's meeting is to approve some of those changes.

I'm looking forward to Roy's alternative meal.  Today's meal has more sugar in it than I like.   For those who don't like chicken thighs, you can substitute chicken breasts.  If you don't like cilantro, substitute parsley (or just leave it out).   Experiment!

https://damndelicious.net/2020/03/09/korean-chicken-bowls/

Korean-Chicken-BowlsIMG_0833.thumb.jpg.66f7c3c6aaa9615e49ad11f371468a75.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

I'm going to toss a little curve into my alternative menu selections for the next week or so.  24 years ago today I boarded my first HAL ship (SS Rotterdam V, and I think the hull was grey back then).  I have no idea what my actual choices were and didn't save the menu, so I'm going off the menus for my 2018 Westerdam Alaska cruise. also Seward to Vancouver.  I was not diagnosed with diabetes for another 5 years, and my menu selections then were not necessarily the ones I would pick today.  My alternative choice is Classic Caesar Salad, Berkshire Pork Rib Roast, and Triple Berry Alaskan Tart A La Mode, what I might have picked August 8, 1997 in my pre-diabetes days.

Roy

• Like 30

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. I've watched a good amount of the olypics. Some outstanding performances. I love zucchini. Unfortunately DW is seriously allergic to cats. The drink looks like an asian version of a bloody mary - interesting. The meal suggestion looks good.

I have been to Idia a number of times but never by ship. Always had to fly through Mumbai and, honestly, it was one of those cities that I just couldn't wait to get out of. Other than that, I loved India.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 21

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I have been stock piling cat memes, so I will throw one or two in here. 
27EEF954-9D89-46BE-902F-B7C68C4F39DC.jpeg.38b7e7a56ba2558b42066a1a44a803dd.jpeg

B634FD7E-EF9F-432D-A86C-509D9C9936FD.jpeg.8786991b884c664a52867f3f5ad1be1a.jpeg

Roy thank you for our lists. Happy that yesterday’s glitch has been fixed, and you don’t have to do triple the work again! Morning Dailyite family. It is a lovely morning here. I love making zoodles out of zucchini. A great carb reducer. No clue what I will do today. 

@DeeniEncinitas, well Sis, it is about time. Of course you were missed. BTW - While you were gone, I adopted the entire clan of Dailyites. Talk about an extended family. Glad the four of you are doing well! 

Debbie the meal looks great! Sandi, sorry your back has been bothering you. Thank you for sharing the pic of your DGS graduating!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Frescobaldi Pomino Vinsanto

Wine-searcher.com refers to this wine as “sweet, caramelized and sticky”.  If you are looking for a dessert wine with excellent ratings - this is one. You might have difficulty finding it outside of Europe. Lots of online distributors that might possibly ship to where you live. $24 for the 2018 vintage. Earlier vintages range between $44 - $65.

Winemaker notes

Pomino Vinsanto embodies the Tuscan tradition perfectly. The area of Pomino, its typical grape varieties and a historic production process give rise to unique sensations, in which sweetness and freshness are perfectly balanced. Prolonged drying and lengthy ageing in wood create an intense and complex meditation wine, with an intriguing and varied bouquet.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It's going to be hotter today, but still not our usual August highs.   👍  As of a few minutes ago, our predicated highs for the next two weeks will not reach triple digits.

I'm a little sore from the extra weed eating I did yesterday, since the far back is at the edge of downward incline where I have to lean over (very carefully) to trim as much as possible.

I have always liked the Mark Twain quote even if it's a misquote.

I'll pass on the meal, wine and drink, but DH might like the drink.

It's good to see the care list shrinking, the celebration list growing, and our Daily family growing.

We've been to Mumbai once which was enough for me.  We had a short tour as we drove from the airport to the ship at the end of an overland tour from Cochin to Agra to Mumbai, on our mystery cruise in 2003.  I'll look for pictures later.

Lenda

• Like 22

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My alternative choice is Classic Caesar Salad, Berkshire Pork Rib Roast, and Triple Berry Alaskan Tart A La Mode, what I might have picked August 8, 1997 in my pre-diabetes days.

The salad and rib roast are ok choices.  I would probably skip the dessert, but I generally did even in my pre-diabetes days.  I'm not a big sugar person.  

• Like 15

45 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Happy for Cat Day.IMG_0045.thumb.jpeg.bff1baa07d5e87455ce17d92781cb658.jpeg

She rules our home.  Have watched the Olympics off and on, the hours didn't work most of the time.  Love Zucchini, really miss our neighbor who used to grow them.

Will pass on the meal, but laughed at the Twain quote.  Had heard that many times over the years.

Prayers and cheers to our lists.  So happy the care list is shrinking.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ginza Mary:

Drinkware: Old Fashioned Glass222209969_ScreenShot2021-08-08at8_00_55AM.png.8e25bfe1ff992f55810f7ac3bf37be52.png

You girl is do cute.  We had the honor of being ruled by a tortie.  She was a great girl.

• Like 16