ATT phone service ?

farodeluzgirl

I had service through ATT in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan with no issues. Service usually starts as you approach the towns (maybe 30 minutes prior to docking).

Never been to Icy Point. 

• Like 1

Check with ATT for reception in the port(s) you will be visiting.

See if you plan includes this - Crossing into Canada/Mexico see if your plan covers that.

Beware of ROAMING or being connected to the ships expensive telephone service by default !

You should be good with any carrier within 3 miles of any city in Alaska although there

maybe some dead spots here and there i.e. darn mountain got in the way - don't expect to

get a bounce signal off a glacier.

When in a port city for WI-Fi look for a public place library coffee shop (Starbucks) or hotel

for this function.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 4:31 PM, Ashland said:

We have gotten the AT&T offered cruise package for many of our cruises.

I looked at this also, but the ships have to turn off their cell service 12 miles or closer to shore, so for Alaska, I didn't see the value in getting this package just for the sea days.

I have gotten it for other cruises.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, palolake said:

I've read that AT&T is about the only service that works in Alaska.

I have a Consumer Cellular phone and it worked fine in Anchorage as well as in the Southeastern part of the State.  But, I think, Consumer Cellular uses AT&T services.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 10:39 PM, travelbug11 said:

I use Verizon and have never had a problem in Alaska.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:09 AM, diesel1973 said:

I have Verizon service and it works just fine.

Thanks for the information.  I am in the market to replace my flip phone with a smartphone and may want a new provider of service.  

That's funny because I still have a flip phone. My nephew up there asks to use my phone sometimes when we are fishing because his I phone has no service. He still continues to make fun of my phone but I tell him my time on this earth is limited and I do not want to spend half of the rest of my life on an I phone. After all when I got this phone 10+ years ago it only cost me 59 cents. I'm still trying to get my moneys worth out of it ! LOL 

17 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

That's funny because I still have a flip phone. My nephew up there asks to use my phone sometimes when we are fishing because his I phone has no service. He still continues to make fun of my phone but I tell him my time on this earth is limited and I do not want to spend half of the rest of my life on an I phone. After all when I got this phone 10+ years ago it only cost me 59 cents. I'm still trying to get my moneys worth out of it ! LOL 

You have had yours longer than mine.  The reason that I am shopping is the news that my phone, which is 3G, will be obsolete and won't work when the major carriers stop supporting 3G in favor of 5G.  Phones using 4G will still work, I have been told, though.  I get conflicting information as to when this might happen.