Be advised if taking the $3 shuttle to the beach

LHP

We are currently on the Mardi Gras.

Cruisers who took the $3 shuttle ( one way ) are reporting the taxis blocked in the shuttles at the beach for 2 hours to get the business  of cruisers heading back to the ship.

Kids were crying .

Adults were screaming .

Just be aware the taxi drivers here can be ruthless!

I recall back in early 2020 the taxi drivers/bus drivers staged a huge strike and blocked a lot of people from leaving port.

But I thought the tram only went down to Mahahual and never picked up anyone coming back.  It's always been taxis.

On 8/10/2021 at 3:27 PM, LHP said:

We are currently on the Mardi Gras.

Cruisers who took the $3 shuttle ( one way ) are reporting the taxis blocked in the shuttles at the beach for 2 hours to get the business  of cruisers heading back to the ship.

Kids were crying .

Adults were screaming .

Just be aware the taxi drivers here can be ruthless!

Thanks for the update. Obviously a fluid situation at the moment in Costa Maya.

Nothing new about Mexican taxi unions exerting/over-exerting their rights. However in this case I am not surprised.

@crewsweeperI also thought the shuttle in Costa Maya had always been a one-way trip. It never made sense, but that was how it has been for a long time so I am not surprised the taxi drivers are upset. We have never taken the shuttle and have always taken a taxi both ways. Way back before the shuttle pulling carriages it was a school bus, not sure if that was allowed to do round trip.

When it was reported last week that taxis were actually allowed into the port to pick up I assumed the shuttle wasn’t actually running. Sounds like the port owner has redeployed his shuttles now and is trying to exercise his authority. It is a pity this couldn’t  have been negotiated privately in advance instead of involving cruisers. 

Were cruisers from Mardi Gras allowed to wander freely in Mahahual, or were they restricted to the cruise ship beach bar? If the shuttle was held for  2 hours did the ship leave late or were cruisers able to get an independent taxi like normal to return?

Edited by c-leg5

On 8/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for the update. Obviously a fluid situation at the moment in Costa Maya.

Nothing new about Mexican taxi unions exerting/over-exerting their rights. However in this case I am not surprised.

@crewsweeperI also thought the shuttle in Costa Maya had always been a one-way trip. It never made sense, but that was how it has been for a long time so I am not surprised the taxi drivers are upset. We have never taken the shuttle and have always taken a taxi both ways. Way back before the shuttle pulling carriages it was a school bus, not sure if that was allowed to do round trip.

When it was reported last week that taxis were actually allowed into the port to pick up I assumed the shuttle wasn’t actually running. Sounds like the port owner has redeployed his shuttles now and is trying to exercise his authority. It is a pity this couldn’t  have been negotiated privately in advance instead of involving cruisers. 

Were cruisers from Mardi Gras allowed to wander freely in Mahahual, or were they restricted to the cruise ship beach bar? If the shuttle was held for  2 hours did the ship leave late or were cruisers able to get an independent taxi like normal to return?

Carnival excursions were held up as well, but if course the ship would wait.

I do not think it lasted past our sailing time because I do not recall leaving late.

I believe folks were allowed to wander unless it was a “bubble tour”.

We did not go this time.  A fellow passenger reported the issue on our Facebook group page .

Do you remember how much a taxi is both ways ?

and is there an issue of taxis jacking up the rate to return ???

45 minutes ago, LHP said:

Carnival excursions were held up as well, but if course the ship would wait.

I do not think it lasted past our sailing time because I do not recall leaving late.

I believe folks were allowed to wander unless it was a “bubble tour”.

We did not go this time.  A fellow passenger reported the issue on our Facebook group page .

Do you remember how much a taxi is both ways ?

and is there an issue of taxis jacking up the rate to return ???

Don’t quote me on the exact prices because it has been a while and I am sure someone will correct me!

I think it used to be $2pp there and $2pp back originally and therefore for two people it was cheaper to take a taxi than the shuttle and obviously quicker. 

A year or so before cruising stopped they started to charge “per taxi”, like Cozumel, and it became $8 each way. We have never paid more for the return trip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 9:36 PM, tallyho8 said:

I was there last week. I used to have to walk out the port and down the street away to get a cheap taxi but now they are letting the taxis into the port eliminating the long walk but the charge is $4 a person.

How many were in your taxi? Are you sure it wasn’t $8 per taxi ($4x 2)? That had changed before cruising was suspended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

There is a shuttle running people down the pier from the ship to where the taxis are?  TIA!

There is sometimes a shuttle running the length of the pier but you still have to walk through all the shopping area to reach the taxis.

Recent reports suggest taxis are “allowed” inside the port now (beyond the shopping area) whereas you used to have to walk through that area as well and exit the port gates.

You can google a map of Costa Maya port, or look at google images to get some idea of the distance.