Meraviglia August 6, 2021 3 Nts to Ocean Cay - Recap Trip Report

twangster

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

I ordered a mix of beer at times (Heineken draft) but also cocktails like a margarita or mojito.  Also lots of water including the larger bottles that were included.  I wasn't on a mission to "get value from the drink package".  On a short cruise like this the package worked for me but on a longer cruise I'll go without a package.  

I had the streaming internet package but I didn't really try to stream anything.  I just enjoy the faster access that comes with the streaming plan.  

With the easy package, are drinks like the strawberry margarita and pina colada on-the-rocks, or could you get them frozen?  I prefer them frozen, but have read that if you order something even one dollar over the package limit, you pay the whole price of the drink and not just the overage.

16 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

With the easy package, are drinks like the strawberry margarita and pina colada on-the-rocks, or could you get them frozen?  I prefer them frozen, but have read that if you order something even one dollar over the package limit, you pay the whole price of the drink and not just the overage.

I had a strawberry daiquiri frozen included but I prefer my margaritas on the rocks.  I didn't venture into the frozen territory very far.  

Perhaps someone with a lot more MSC experience can comment.

Again, thanks for this report. Since I didn't see any pics, I'm assuming there was no parade on Ocean Cay...is that correct?

Also, how did you manage to take so many pics? And what camera did you use to capture that lighting storm?

Joking about the pics, but serious about the type of camera...

• Like 2

Thank you, twangster, for this really nicely done review.

All of the drink menus and restaurant menus were very much appreciated.

We are booked for a four night on Meriviglia later this month. And your trip report was a treat to help anticipate our cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I did bring a bunch of single bills and tipped every drink above the included service charges included in the drink package I bought.  These folks have been out of work for 16 months so a few extra bucks is well worth it.  I didn't see anyone else tipping above the included gratuity and I could tell the bar staff really appreciated the gesture.  

Well done, indeed.
🏆

• Like 1

This what such a great review for such a short cruise.

Everything looked fantastic and the ship looks amazing including your cabin. 

The pictures, well they were better than postcards. MSC should hire you for their advertising!

Great job!

Thanks

• Like 2

Thank you for such a thorough and wonderful review! We sail 9/25, a 7 day cruise and will have 2 Ocean Cay stops. We sailed Mera Oct-Nov 2019 and were supposed to be the first ship into Ocean Cay but it wasn't quite ready so we are looking forward to it this time! I'm glad you enjoyed MSC - we were NCL cruisers, but are quickly becoming fans of MSC! Can't wait to see your reviews of your upcoming cruises!

• Like 1

Thanks for a great review. 

I always enjoy your reviews on the RCL board so pleased to see you here. Glad you enjoyed MSC, we cruised on Virtuosa in June and the ship looks almost identical, very stylish.

• Like 1

Thanks for your review.  This will be my first MSC ever and I am doing the 3 day next Friday (8/20) and your report was very helpful in understanding life on board and what to expect.  Thanks for all the menus and pictures.   

• Like 1

Your recap was a genuine pleasure to read and experience!  I'll be on Divina in Oct, and you have put my mind at ease with regards to a few concerns I had.  Only problem is now I want to book Meriviglia!  

To quickly address the issue of folks touting the Yacht Club to the detriment of the rest of the ship, I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 Bella experiences on the Seaside.  I have cruised everything from ocean view to swanky suites on several other lines, and never once did I feel second class in Bella.  I really enjoy the MSC experience and it sounds like they have their Covid protocols well in hand.  I am really looking forward to my Fantastica Aft Balcony on Divina!

Thanks for a great immersive report!

• Like 2

Thank you, Twangster, for a wonderful review of a shorter cruise on Mera.  We sail Divina on 9/19 for 7 nights, and I was so impressed by your review, we now want to book Mera for right after the holidays.

The pictures were fantastic, so much appreciated without all the crowds, and just enough commentary to let us know what we were looking at.  Well done!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taszmom said:

I didn't notice any lounge chairs on the beach on Ocean Cay??? I rented an umbrella for my Mom so I was wondering where the chairs are?

Pictures of lounge chairs on first page of thread.  White loungers (not sure if that was YC beach or not) and colored Adirondack chairs with colored umbrellas on other beach.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, twangster said:

Ocean Cay

At last we step foot onto Ocean Cay.

mv-day2-28.jpg

Ocean Cay is a marine reserve.

mv-day2-29.jpg

mv-day2-30.jpg

mv-day2-32.jpg

mv-day2-33.jpg

One of the excursion boats waiting for guests.

mv-day2-34.jpg

mv-day2-35.jpg

Springer's Bar.  One of many on the Cay.

mv-day2-36.jpg

The island has nearly 200 live on employees.  This is where they live.  

mv-day2-37.jpg

Not bad for "crew quarters".

mv-day2-38.jpg

Lots of concrete walkways shared with trams and people.

mv-day2-39.jpg

One of the food venues that will serve lunch later today.

mv-day2-40.jpg

Parts of the island of sectioned off because there are just not enough guests visiting right now due to reduced capacity.

mv-day2-41.jpg

mv-day2-42.jpg

mv-day2-43.jpg

South beach at Ocean Cay Lagoon

mv-day2-44.jpg

Have I mentioned it's a great time to cruise with reduced capacity?  Plenty of loungers available.

mv-day2-45.jpg

mv-day2-46.jpg

Cabanas available at a cost.

mv-day2-47.jpg

Do you know how much they cost?

Great pictures. Thanks.  It brought back lots of memories of this ship...my last cruise before it all it the fan. (11/2019)  We are on 9/10/21 for the same reason as you.  Couldn't pass up the price for a weekend getaway to Bahamas, plus we STILL have not been to Ocean Cay.  Do you know how much the cabanas cost, by any chance?    
What are they using the Cirque Theater for?