January 2022 Caribbean cruise

Borna

Hello:  Just took my first Seabourn cruise and am eyeing the 30-day Caribbean cruise in January 2022 on Regent.

I have several questions and appreciate those who take time to answer.

1  For those who have traveled on both Seabourn and Regent, please tell me the differences.  

2  I was not wowed by Seabourn; certainly, the service was superb.  The food, I found to be average.  While I love lobster, I could never get a full lobster on Seabourn.  Can you order a full lobster on Regent?  Seabourn did not have a variety of tropical fruits and fruit juices - no mango, guava, papaya, dragonfruit, rambutan.  Are any of these available on Regent?

3  Does Regent have daily team trivia?

4  Does Regent have daily name that tune?

5  I understand that excursions are included?  Are the times staggered, so that I could take more than 1 excursion a day?

6  Can I arrange private excursions with Regent?  What is the typical cost of a 1/2 and full day private excursion?

7  Regent only provides economy air domestically, while I want to fly first.  Is there a way to get Regent to pay for first, or do I need to just pay the "upgrade?"

8  If a past Regent sailor sponsors me, do both that person and I receive a benefit?  A shipboard credit?  Amount?

Thanks for your information.

We love Regent and have sailed on all but the Splendor due to COVID.

1. Overall, Regent is oh so better.

2.Never asked for a full lobster but over the past 14 yrs. no one ever said No to

any of our requests.

3. Trivia is played on sea days only, just like other ships.

4. So many games are played only on sea days.

5. Depending on the port and the local companies, we have had an early a.m. excursion and the  afternoon excursion but we have missed onboard lunch a few times running from bus too bus!

6. We have done several private excursions with Regent. All were outstanding but pricey.

We found that booking private excursions with Viatar online much cheaper. Also out TA has booked tours cheaper too. But remember, if you are in a remote area the ship won’t wait for you if you have private travel problems!

7. You pay the difference but business class domestic isn’t oh so expensive if you use points and/or do your research. We only fly business class. But be careful with international air with Regent or other cruise companies. Unless you insist and have a diligent TA they book you on connecting flights. So; Rome to NY flight might take 14 hrs because you have a 5 hr. layover in Munich.

8. Check with your agent for details.

For us, Regent is our go to cruise company. We research itinerary first. So there may be other companies with better offers.   But we 267 nights sailing with Regent we love the service, quality, luxury and just plain outstanding crew service.

Enjoy your trip!

Lobster tail always available. On our last cruise while we were off the NE coast they had whole lobster, we didn’t order, they were huge. I bet you have to keep the lobsters live, so likely will be available the days the ship ports someplace known for lobsters. 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, Borna said:

mango, guava, papaya, dragonfruit, rambutan.  Are any of these available on Regent?

Sometimes; depends on the itinerary and what fresh fruit the ship has taken on board locally. Always ask for anything you do not see.

8  If a past Regent sailor sponsors me, do both that person and I receive a benefit?  A shipboard credit?  Amount?

See the Regent website for details: https://www.rssc.com/ambassador

Not daily, but usually at least twice during a cruise. Often in the Observation Lounge, early or late evening

I've only done one Seabourn cruise, and a bunch of Regent.  I was on Quest.  I found it much like Navigator.  It's small like Navigator, so most Regent ships are a little bigger, with perhaps more amenities.  Certainly have more specialty restos.

I did love Seabourn Square, and the night club was great too.  Didn't like the show lounge at all, and the Observation Lounge, although nice, was small.

I doubt you'll get all those tropical fruits fresh on Regent.

Trivia on Regent is usually played daily, music trivia once or twice a cruise.

I like the food selection on Regent better, in general, than that on Quest, although I did think that the casual dining venue (Patio?) had a nicer selection of salads than Regent's La Veranda.

I'm not sure about the private excursions--I know they have private drivers that you can book, for couples or groups, but not sure about tour guides.  You'd have to ask.  Better just to book private I suspect in most ports--better selection, cheaper.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, Borna said:

Hello:  Just took my first Seabourn cruise and am eyeing the 30-day Caribbean cruise in January 2022 on Regent.

I have several questions and appreciate those who take time to answer.

1  For those who have traveled on both Seabourn and Regent, please tell me the differences.  

2  I was not wowed by Seabourn; certainly, the service was superb.  The food, I found to be average.  While I love lobster, I could never get a full lobster on Seabourn.  Can you order a full lobster on Regent?  Seabourn did not have a variety of tropical fruits and fruit juices - no mango, guava, papaya, dragonfruit, rambutan.  Are any of these available on Regent?

3  Does Regent have daily team trivia?

5  I understand that excursions are included?  Are the times staggered, so that I could take more than 1 excursion a day?

6  Can I arrange private excursions with Regent?  What is the typical cost of a 1/2 and full day private excursion?

7  Regent only provides economy air domestically, while I want to fly first.  Is there a way to get Regent to pay for first, or do I need to just pay the "upgrade?"

Thanks for your information.

saw a few fellow cruisers have already answered some, but let me add some more info. Never sailed on Seaborn, so I can't comment on this...but we do love the Regent experience.  so here's some info based on your questions.  

1. Can't answer

2. A full lobster is on the menu for Prime 7...if you have reservations there...lobster it is.  In Compass Rose, it's lobster tail as many times as you want it... and they do a good job. Also, Pacific Rim has great lobster dishes.     Juices: Yes, they do have guava or mango juice available. We never had a problem finding those...the other ones...not so much. 

3. Absolutely...daily trivia is fun. It's done each day at 4:30. So if you are out on excursions...you miss out. 

4. Not as far as I remember, but quite often (Ross, one of the best piano entertainers I've met) is doing a great job. 

5. Excursions depend on the port and usually leave within a 1 or 1 1/2 hour time frame. In some ports we've done more than one, but depending on how long those excursions are...and how long the ship will be at this port, it's tough.  In most cases, it's one excursion. They require about 90 min between...so if there's one in the morning and one in the afternoon...yes. 

6. Regent offers private cars/vans etc...check the list of offerings (they do cost though). You can also arrange for your own, independent tour, of course. 

7. Regent also allows for first class, but their rates are often higher than you can find on your own, plus you need to pay for the deviation fee. 

8. Yes, both get a benefit once the cruise of the new "sailor" is paid in full. Usually a shipboard credit. 

It might be worth noting that everything Gcto said was true 2 years ago. Absolutely no one on this board can tell us what the Regent onboard experience will be like going forward. We will know more in late September and early October.

Borna:  

wcsdkqh's just-posted comment is most dispositive as to your inquiry.  It pre-empts much of what I was about to contribute.     

Due to COVID, your inquiry involves a constantly evolving situation.  What we have experienced on BOTH Seabourn and Regent cruises over the past 20+ years is useful only as a reference.   Because--as posted above the National Archives' building in D.C.--

"What is Past is Prologue"  

From that perspective--and somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as is my wont--

First:  What is this obsession with Lobster?  That matter has been fully addressed in earlier postings.  BOTTOM Line:  On Regent, if you want it; simply ask for it in a respectful manner.  For some specialty dishes, Regent might ask for a 24 to 48 hours' "heads up".  Not much to ask for.  For us, in lieu of Lobster, our "Go To" dish has always been Miso-glazed Sea Bass served on a banana leaf accompanied by sticky rice.  This is an extremely-popular Regent Compass Rose Dining Room dish.  

Second: It has our good fortune to have the services of a Travel Agent (TA) and Staff with First-hand experience sailing on, and arranging cruises, for both Seabourn and Regent. Have joined with TA on one Regent cruise.   There is no substitute for dealing with a Team having that background.  This particularly comes into play dealing with air itineraries involving embarkation from foreign Ports; and debarkation from other foreign Ports for return to our home Port, which is SEATAC.  

2.  Food Quality.  Based on numerous pre-COVID cruises on several Seabourn ships, and all of Regent's ships--minus Splendor (that 03/2020 Splendor cruise from San Diego to New York upon which we were to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary was canceled while spouse and self were at Regent's San Diego hotel)--

Frankly, a toss-up.  There is more variety offered on Regent due to numerous restaurant venues, and ability to order from Regent's Compass Rose main dining room Menu specialty dishes served in other alternative (and--no charge) restaurants such as Prime 7, Chartreuse, and Pacific Rim.  So, if pressed, the nod goes to Regent.  This aspect is a matter of taste.  What works for one, may not work for another.   

3.   Yes, on Trivia played daily whether a Regent ship is in Port, or at-sea.  No-more said on this, as we discontinued active participation some years' ago when the "vibe" in a venue sharing same with Afternoon Tea was not positive.  Regent recognized such.  Our most recent pre-COVID experiences were that Trivia play was carried out in a separate venue.  More pleasant when listening to an accomplished pianist playing both contemporary and classic pieces such as Debussy and Ravel.    

4.   Limited comment.  Do not usually stay up that late while on either Line.   When we have:  my wife was able to "nail" all the Broadway Musical-related tunes.  Helps that our daughter performed in many of these shows from Jr. High School on through University--then professional performances at Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Chicago prior to her "retirement" to start a family. I got most of them. 

5.   This whole excursion situation is the most-in flux.  Have not had a negative experience on either Seabourn or Regent.  Guides were adept in English; and we had use of those handy ear-plug devices. 

6.  Did our "own thing" a few time on both Lines.  No differences.   Always got back to the ship well-in time.  THEN, on more than one occasion--observed several "runners"  literally running to the gangplank to make it back in time.  Prior planning and common sense comes into play.  Stuff will happen; the ship will NOT wait if you are on a privately-arranged excursion.  But, given the current environment--doubt this will be an issue.  Must maintain the "Bubble".  

7.  No simple answer, as noted above.  Here again--we have relied on our TA for guidance as to when to utilize accumulated FF credit card miles for portions of the air segment; or, go with Regent.  As to Seabourn, we always utilized FF miles.  We have reached a Regent status where we do not pay for that first "Deviation".  Even if we were not in that category, it is often beneficial to pay that Deviation; thereby, Regent is responsible for getting you to, and from the ship.  There are so-many uncertainties in the current situation that we are utilizing Regent Air for our two upcoming (hoped-for) cruises.  

8.  N/A.  

Another Bottom Line:  This is a constantly moving target.  Past performance(s) on either Line are not dispositive as to future experiences when confronting our current Reality.   One must be flexible.    

Stay safe.   

GOARMY!

22 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

It might be worth noting that everything Gcto said was true 2 years ago. Absolutely no one on this board can tell us what the Regent onboard experience will be like going forward. We will know more in late September and early October.

🙂   Hope springs eternal.  

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

Indeed it does. Being on the 9/22 cruise, London->Barcelona, I certainly hope so also.

hope all works out and you are having a great trip. Pls post your experiences and if Regent has made any changes. Our next sailing is in Jan...so we are eager for info

Our next posting as to changes to onboard amenities we have become accustomed to related to whatever COVID protocols require will--

hopefully be when aboard Explorer in less than 75 days for a late October departure from Barcelona to--at this point Miami.  But, who knows.  

GOARMY!