French Polynesia

amandas friend

My wife and I are scheduled to sail from Papeete on November 11.  In preparation, we bought trip insurance that covers COVID related costs.  Unfortunately French Polynesia has now by classified as a Level 4 alert by the CDC.  The fine print in our policy states that  our COVID coverage is invalid in level 4 countries and territories.  The cost of any quarantine due to a positive test (we’re fully vaccinated) would be totally our responsibility.  Check your trip insurance to understand what would be covered.

The COVID situation is worse most everywhere.  Since we will all be vaccinated, the chances of us needing hospitalization for a positive test are pretty slim.  Unless Tahiti closes to visitors, I would probably feel safer there than at home, where my county has a 22% vax rate, and the next one South only 15%.  Where else would they take the ship?  Sail empty to Tahiti?  EM

• Like 1

It is useful to read the present travel restrictions issued by Tahiti.  In addition to having a PRC test done before your arrival, you will have to be tested again upon arriving at the airport.  Then to fly back to the USA you will need at least the anti-gen test.  Should your test at the airport or the one for your return to the USA turn out positive you will be required to quarantine at your own expense for two weeks in Tahiti.  Vaccinated people will likely avoid hospitalization, but they won’t avoid being quarantined.  The rules could change, especially if the EU declares the US a code red country.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:20 AM, Essiesmom said:

Since we will all be vaccinated, the chances of us needing hospitalization for a positive test are pretty slim. 

If it didn't strike so close to home I'd agree with you but it did and today I don't think entirely pretty slim chances. Have two nieces in San Diego, both early 40's and both fully vaccinated, who've contracted COVID. One was hospitalized for three days. Neither had any risk factors, both are hyper-vigilant about precautions and never stopped masking. Again, maybe it's unusual, but I'm not minimizing the risk anymore.

And my heart goes out to all those booked for now into fall. Hopefully WS will cancel. I was booked on Nov 26 sailing as a back up to April 29 this year, but ultimately decided on Aug 2022. Then who knows about that time frame either anywhere in the world. Scary stuff this damn COVID is.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

I heard from someone at Windstar this week that they will not be canceling the Tahiti cruises because the Tourism Board is allowing visitors into FP. Although that is true it’s not the way I want to see Tahiti-masked and under lockdowns and curfews. I rescheduled next week’s trip to next year.

I am currently working as a Contact Tracer on my state's COVID-19 project, and my state has a pretty high vaccination rate.  I would not consider vacationing right now.  The Delta Variant is pretty scary.  I cancelled my cruise.

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

I heard from someone at Windstar this week that they will not be canceling the Tahiti cruises because the Tourism Board is allowing visitors into FP. Although that is true it’s not the way I want to see Tahiti-masked and under lockdowns and curfews. I rescheduled next week’s trip to next year.

By rescheduling (versus cancelling), did you lose any money already paid?

We just returned from 11 day sailing Aug 1 on Wind Spirit.  Everything went well, tested before leaving US, tested upon arrival in PPT airport, tested before boarding ship, tested again before flying home.  Crew onboard wore masks all the time, we had to wear masks only in indoor spaces.   We had heard just before we flew home that the CDC had declared Tahiti in the red non-travel zone, so we feel we may have just made a small window to travel there.    

Hmmm.  They were CDC Level 1, they are now Level 4.

I have a Christmas cruise there.  I hope that things will improve by then.

Are they still holding final payment due at 90 days or are they extending it?  I am thinking that we may not know until October if it is a go or not.

18 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Are they still holding final payment due at 90 days or are they extending it?  I am thinking that we may not know until October if it is a go or not.

I posted this on our roll call for the October 17th sailing yesterday:

For those of you who are nervous about the Covid situation and are considering cancelling, I called Windstar today to confirm their policies. The  cancellation policy is completely different from what is on the website and what is on the "invoice" sent you. 

1) If we cancel > 60 days from the cruise (August 18), we get all of our deposit back, as well as the excursion costs.
2) If we cancel after paying the rest of the money for the cruise, but before 30 days (September 17), then we get all of the excursion money and 50% of what we paid refunded as cash, and 50% in a future cruise credit.
3) If we cancel between 30 days and 48 hours (September 17 - October 15), we get all of the excursion money as a cash refund but all of the cruise fare is refunded as future cruise credit.
4) If we cancel <48 hours (October 15 - 17), we are screwed and lose everything.

Plus, if Windstar cancels (which I believe will only happen if France makes them and that did happen earlier in the pandemic), we get all money paid refunded as cash regardless of the date. 

For now, we are still planning on cruising. With everyone on the cruise and excursions being vaccinated, it is likely safer than my trip to Costco yesterday. There are some areas of concern still - the airport (not so much the airplane), taxis, the hotel the night before the cruise. Let's see what happens in the next month or so.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ravinblue said:

I posted this on our roll call for the October 17th sailing yesterday:

For those of you who are nervous about the Covid situation and are considering cancelling, I called Windstar today to confirm their policies. The  cancellation policy is completely different from what is on the website and what is on the "invoice" sent you. 

1) If we cancel > 60 days from the cruise (August 18), we get all of our deposit back, as well as the excursion costs.
2) If we cancel after paying the rest of the money for the cruise, but before 30 days (September 17), then we get all of the excursion money and 50% of what we paid refunded as cash, and 50% in a future cruise credit.
3) If we cancel between 30 days and 48 hours (September 17 - October 15), we get all of the excursion money as a cash refund but all of the cruise fare is refunded as future cruise credit.
4) If we cancel <48 hours (October 15 - 17), we are screwed and lose everything.

Plus, if Windstar cancels (which I believe will only happen if France makes them and that did happen earlier in the pandemic), we get all money paid refunded as cash regardless of the date. 

For now, we are still planning on cruising. With everyone on the cruise and excursions being vaccinated, it is likely safer than my trip to Costco yesterday. There are some areas of concern still - the airport (not so much the airplane), taxis, the hotel the night before the cruise. Let's see what happens in the next month or so.

Thanks for the update.  Is the final payment still at 90 days?

Would love to hear from some of the previous Tahiti cruisers exactly what tests they used - to satisfy the airline, Tahiti and then to come back into the U.S.  Just got notice that Windstar will test us (for free) before getting on the ship.

Testing is at a minimum right now with the surge so wondering what people did to meet the time frames.

Airlines require a PCR test, not rapid. They test you before boarding the ship, but if your test in the US was within the 72 hours you do not need to be tested at the dock. Windstar does it onboard for you 3 days before your flight out. You have to pre-order and pay for the tests ahead of time then make an appointment with the ship doctor once you are onboard.

United airlines from Papeete to SFO will accept any molecular or antigen test. Their  timing and testing requirements are different from Air Tahiti Nui flights.  Check your flight for specific testing requirements

We are booked on the Oct 17th Breeze 11 nighter, if it goes, it will be our 3rd visit to Tahiti 

Our thoughts, living in Canada, if we want to go to the USA, Europe, or the South Pacific, we gotta multi test, PCR or Antigen, whatever, its no biggie to us, we think it's gonna become one of those things you have to get used too if you want to travel internationally, from what I can read all the PPT resorts/hotels will be offering them for a fee, as well as every airport, including transiting airport(s), so it'll be less time in the lounge, more time standing in airport line(s) 🙂  

But yes, every time you take a COVID test, there's a risk build in that you might test positive, though if I ever have to quarantine again, and for 10 days, a resort in PPT seems like an awfully nice place to get stuck in, pricing aside, as long as someone continually delivers poisson cru and creme brûlée I'm good!

Same for wearing masks, its no biggie to us, we think its gonna be part of the international travel regiment for years to come, as is sometimes getting a non COVID vaccine, so especially indoors in the ship, airports, transport, etc, we'll eagerly be masked  

This is also our take on infection breakouts, look its gonna flair up everywhere, every so often, whether it's Austin, London, Toronto, PPT,  NYC, and it'll come in waves, I can see if you travelling to the Islands in Aug or early Sept, why you might want to postpone to say later in Sept or Oct, the enviro everywhere changes like every 10-14 days, and no question a negative wave has hit the Islands, but hopefully French Polynessia continues to increase their domestic vaccine rate, and the infected numbers subside in the coming weeks, fingers and toes crossed

Anyway, safe travels to everyone, may you get to paradise this fall, or if not, in 2022, we just adore Tahiti and dream about dangling our feet in that shallow lagoon ocean, dining at Villa Mahona, touring with Patrick, listening to his stories, having breakfast on the rear of a Windstar ship looking at the Bora Bora peaks, and that brisket BQQ photo at the new grill looks Texas tasty....

JC   

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, Essiesmom said:

The COVID situation is worse most everywhere.  Since we will all be vaccinated, the chances of us needing hospitalization for a positive test are pretty slim.  Unless Tahiti closes to visitors, I would probably feel safer there than at home, where my county has a 22% vax rate, and the next one South only 15%.  Where else would they take the ship?  Sail empty to Tahiti?  EM

I agree with you. My area in West Georgia has horrible covid rates. Our hospitals are full with 99.9 % unvaccinated patients per a hospital worker I know.

My concern now is the current restrictions. We have an itinerary that calls for a weekend stay in Riatea where you won't be able to get off the ship. Also, they have shut down all cultural activities, which means the scheduled Polynesian show is off the table. This really changes your experience. If anyone has feedback on current cruises during these restrictions, I'd appreciate knowing how this is being addressed.

This from Tahiti Tourism:

• As of Monday August 23 until Monday September 6 2021, travel will be restricted to compealing reasons only (work, family, health and essential goods purchase). These measures may be renewed depending on the evolution of the sanitary situation.
  • ALL CRUISES ARE SUSPENDED throughout French Polynesia
  • THE CURFEW is modified to 8pm to 4am throughout French Polynesia 

Here is the complete notice:

Restrictions applied in French Polynesia

Consult the sanitary and regulatory measures (available in french only) applicable until August 31st 2021.

A curfew is applicable from 9 pm to 4 am from August 11th 2021 on the whole territory. The certificates of derogatory movement are available HERE (in french only).

The lockdown is extended over the entire weekend from 9 pm on Friday and until 4 am on Monday in the islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea and Taha’a as of Friday August 20th. This measure is extended to some islands in Tuamotu-Gambier, the concerned communes are : Arutua, Fakarava, Gambier, Makemo, Manihi, Napuka, Rangiroa, Takaroa and Tureia.

The certificates of derogatory movement are available HERE (in french only).

The High Commissioner and the President of French Polynesia announced during their speech of Friday August 20th their decision to reinforce the current restrictions as of Monday August 23rd:

• TRAVEL AND ACTIVITIES RESTRICTIONS IN THE SOCIETY ISLANDS ONLY
    • As of Monday August 23 until Monday September 6 2021, travel will be restricted to compealing reasons only (work, family, health and essential goods purchase). These measures may be renewed depending on the evolution of the sanitary situation.
    • The borders of The Islands of Tahiti remain open and commercial flights can continue to operate. Tourists who are already in our islands can continue their trip, as long as they comply with the restrictions in place.
    • Are allowed:
      • Travel within tourist accommodations. Activities in hotels remain accessible to clients beach /pool / lagoon, as long as the authorized areas have been delimited).
      • Travel to and from the airport or ferry terminal remains authorized (curfew and lockdown certificates are available on the High Commission website).
    • Visitors who have an itinerary that implies a change of accommodation can travel and take the domestic flight on which they are booked.

These reinforced travel restrictions do not apply to the other Islands.

• ALL CRUISES ARE SUSPENDED throughout French Polynesia
  • THE CURFEW is modified to 8pm to 4am throughout French Polynesia 

Has Windstar cancelled any sailings yet? Looking at the web site now, the Aug. 26 sailing is still available as well as all September savings if this cruise ship ban is extended.

I haven't looked at Windstar pricing in a while and even with Wind Spirit going out of service for a refurb, her very last Tahiti sailings are still very expensive. I would have thought some nice discounts would be offered to entice people to book these cruises on a slightly shabby ship with all of the restrictions that Tahiti has.

• Like 1