Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

From Seattle news:

More than half a dozen cruise passengers say they were not allowed to board a Royal Caribbean vessel because they are not vaccinated.

But they insist the cruise line told them all they needed was a negative COVID-19 test.

That cruise ship set sail Friday night. And it left behind some very upset passengers. They say Royal Caribbean made them feel anything but welcome.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/cruise-ship-passengers-say-they-were-barred-boarding-due-changing-covid-19-protocol/F2YWIVEOCFHHTH3ARX7JPML5GE/

• Like 6

I looked at the video of them being angry at the port.  

My thoughts were the following:

1) did they have a travel agent who did not pay attention and mislead them thinking about FLA rules vs other rules?

2) Did they not read their e docs where is says to check the protocols of the ship you are going on?

3) when did they get their e docs?

4) what about the RCI App? Did they not look around 24 hours in advance to answer the questionnaire? I am unsure if the questionnaire mentions a vaccination.  But it should.

And lastly when I heard they did not have money for hotel and changing or rebooking their flights, my first thought was perhaps they should not even cruise as additional expenses can always crop up at any time.  

While I do feel bad in a way for these folks because perhaps they just did not pay attention to details and or were confused by agents in Florida, still in this day and age, GET THE FACTS for anything you do.  They said they were retired, so perhaps family members could have helped better in the planning as well.  

Hope they get home and hope they deal with their travel agent who might have not done their job as well as they should.   Lesson learned do your OWN research too.

• Like 14

I understand there are very confusing signals and constant changes comingnout of RCL and flights and even governments, however like any trip you think they would be checking the website and their emails constantly. I do fele for them but at same time shake my head and think why an earth would you not check. I guess in a way as we are UK and mostly fly to cruises,using our passports we check everything constantly

• Like 4

As far as I heard seattle departures were all fully vaccinated, but idk. Never remember seeing a change. More than likely someone read florida departures and thought was for all. I remember someone I wouldnt name arguing with me ...then said oh she meant nassau, so was arguing black was white on protocols and sure she was right and never mentioned nassau. I stay away from such posters once they argue black is white .. I'd say ports protocols confused. Happens even on cc

They want to be made whole, and want money lol. What if they were quarantined and needed to pay. Agree if you are this broke, with no funds for emergencies dont cruise right now. 

The boat has taken off,” lamented Sylver. “Nobody has talked to us. Nobody has offered us transportation or seen that we had a place to stay. They just keep like ‘you’re at fault.’”

Their trip of a lifetime to Alaska had run aground.

In fact, she says they are all retired, all on fixed incomes. And they frankly can’t afford to stay the night in Seattle and then fly home early to Illinois.

They say they will work to be made whole by Royal Caribbean.

• Like 4

On the Roll Call, somebody stated they saw several people turned away for not having tests, when he was checking in. So which is it, or is it both. Or was he mistaken and it was for non vax.  With things changing daily, it is up to the passenger’s to check daily, to see what is needed to board the ship. 
I dislike the wording....more than a half dozen. Is that 7,8,9,10 or 11. Just say the number. These media reports just irk me....LOL

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 13

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

As far as I heard seattle departures were all fully vaccinated, but idk. Never remember seeing a change. More than likely someone read florida departures and thought was for all. I remember someone I wouldnt name arguing with me ...then said oh she meant nassau, so was arguing black was white on protocols and sure she was right and never mentioned nassau. I stay away from such posters once they argue black is white .. I'd say ports protocols confused. Happens even on cc

They want to be made whole, and want money lol. What if they were quarantined and needed to pay. Agree if you are this broke, with no funds for emergencies dont cruise right now. 

The boat has taken off,” lamented Sylver. “Nobody has talked to us. Nobody has offered us transportation or seen that we had a place to stay. They just keep like ‘you’re at fault.’”

Their trip of a lifetime to Alaska had run aground.

In fact, she says they are all retired, all on fixed incomes. And they frankly can’t afford to stay the night in Seattle and then fly home early to Illinois.

They say they will work to be made whole by Royal Caribbean.

Well, the bottom line is - yes, they were at fault.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

What are the new rules? Thank you 

Seeking an answer as well.

I am vaccinated but my wife and daughter have thus far chosen not to be.

We have a RCL cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ in December.

???My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test within the 72 hours timeframe before sailing and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Just now, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test less within the 72 hours timeframe and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

Per my understanding, under current rules your wife and daughter will not be allowed to sail.

RCI is requiring all adult passengers be vaccinated, except for sailings out of Texas and Florida where they've been legally required to allow unvaccinated adults (and even then they've added additional testing and insurance requirements, paid by the passengers, for those who choose not to be vaccinated).

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated

Hopefully someone will chime in with the current rule. But be very aware that rules are constantly changing. They should be prepared for the possibility of not be allowed on the cruise, or to be subject to lots of restrictions. Best of luck and happy cruising. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test less within the 72 hours timeframe and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Per my understanding, under current rules your wife and daughter will not be allowed to sail.

RCI is requiring all adult passengers be vaccinated, except for sailings out of Texas and Florida where they've been legally required to allow unvaccinated adults (and even then they've added additional testing and insurance requirements, paid by the passengers, for those who choose not to be vaccinated).

I appreciate your response . Thank you!

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I appreciate your response . Thank you!

Your welcome.

You can use the drop down menu here, out in your embarkation port and check exact requirements.   Cape Liberty hasn't been added yet, but is likely to be similar to Seattle (another US port which hasn't enacted laws preventing cruise lines from enforcing safety protocols):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

This is to everyone and not just the nice individual I am quoting:

Not all folks are tuned in like those on Cruise Critic.

Somehow I got the impression that RCL WOULD let passengers on if they had a negative Covid test 72 hours or less prior to departure. It is harsh to say that people are ignorant...maybe they are busy and not as attentive as they should be. I'm trying to pop in here once a month so I am up to date. I'm sure glad I chose to do so today!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Regarding Texas - RCCL does state that all passengers of appropriate age do require to be vaccinated.  Assuming I’m reading the healthy asking page correctly. 

Edited by AustinCruise
I’m stupid, clarification that the comment is regarding Texas sailings.
  • Like 2