Who buys a bit (or a bunch) of new clothes for a cruise?

no1talks

Normally no. But one weird side effect of the Covid pandemic is that all my clothes seem to have shrunk. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, I’ll be needing some new duds for my next cruise. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 9
  • Haha 14

54 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Just for the fun of it...

Do you add a fresh item or two each trip?
Do you go all out and redo your cruising wardrobe each year?
Have you been wearing the same cruising kit for years? (Fess up.)
426178809_vintagecruiseattire.thumb.jpg.205b9bd8f568fc8b7a116a42f5cb6f7c.jpg

How did you know?  Pretty much the same but, always new shoes.

Time for some style for upcoming cruise!

• Like 2

I used to buy a lot for each trip (and we averaged 3 cruises a year) which has resulted in closets full of never or barely worn clothes, shoes, and bags 🙄.

I share the same problem now with Zekekelso in that the clothes have  all shrunk in storage 😞

I used to bring 3 outfits a day which meant heavy suitcases and a lot of unworn/unused items being hauled around.  I’ve since gotten older, wiser (and poorer 🤪) and have seen the error of my ways. 🤣

• Like 7

I'm usually frogmarched to our nearest chain of haberdashers to replace worn/grubby shorts, polo shirts, a nice proper shirt or two and, for some reason, new underwear! Mrs. Cruiseireland strangely seems to have a stockpile of never worn tops and dresses that were purchased over the intervening year which  'would be nice on a cruise'! My new purchases, once worn at sea, progress from holiday wear via house wear to gardening wear so must be replenished pre cruise! Ken

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Yes!  

A year ago, lots of people cleaned out their closets, and donated things to resale shops.  We did, and then we shopped while there.  One of our favorite local charities got so many donations that they regularly sold adult clothing for $1 each.  Knowing that our current clothing was shrinking, we bought many, many new things.  Cocktail dresses, sportscoats, shirts, white slacks, tops; many high-end brands.

Now I'm really looking forward to wearing them on a ship.  

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes!  

A year ago, lots of people cleaned out their closets, and donated things to resale shops.  We did, and then we shopped while there.  One of our favorite local charities got so many donations that they regularly sold adult clothing for $1 each.  Knowing that our current clothing was shrinking, we bought many, many new things.  Cocktail dresses, sportscoats, shirts, white slacks, tops; many high-end brands.

Now I'm really looking forward to wearing them on a ship.  

That is a downside of being rather tall.

While typically-sized folks are scoring great bargains at thrift shops, the tall are buying new.

• Like 3

Well, I am rather hard to fit, but even without the dressing rooms in use, it was worth it to me to just buy, try on at home, then re-donate what didn't fit.  But I get what you are saying!

Apart from groceries, that was just about our only "outing" each week that felt safe.

Oh, and I carry a tape measure with me all the time.  Gotta get the right inseam!

Edited by shipgeeks
add
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Normally no. But one weird side effect of the Covid pandemic is that all my clothes seem to have shrunk. Not sure how that happened. Anyway, I’ll be needing some new duds for my next cruise. 

I think there is some sort of magical spell in my closet. There is no way all of my cruise duds have shrunk that much. It must be this Florida humidity...lol

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

Have supplemented my wardrobe a little - our next cruise is a long one & I know I'll get tired of my usual outfits.  Bringing along some old standbys 'cause I know they'll work.

I find it common that people say they'll get tired of the same clothes but it they're home, won't they be wearing the same clothes? Or let me say *I* wear the same clothes.

• Like 1

Staying home/working from home was a big change for me. I never had a lot of "casual wear at home" clothes because I was previously in the office 5 days/week. To avoid going crazy wearing the same two outfits, I've bought some nice casual things -- comfortable yet nice enough for a regular zoom call. I expect to use some of those for upcoming travel as well.

Things are definitely seeming more casual everywhere. I recently cleaned out the closet where I keep my dressier things and quite a few of them looked much glitzier than I think I'd wear on most cruises/trips now. I would still step it up a bit but would do what one blogger calls "festive not fussy". 

I enjoy clothes and clothes shopping, but my style is more low-key. Simple shapes, not too much bling. I definitely replenish and update things rather than wearing the same-old same-old.

• Like 1

I always say I won't buy new things, and then I do. I'm definitely wearing more casual clothes than I used to, even though I'm creeping back to the office. So for me there's less of a division between work/home/social life/travel in terms of the clothes I would wear, and more dressing things up with jewelry and scarves.

Have to say that during this pandemic a lot of stores/catalogues have had sales on of 'formal' wear as no partying etc.  I don't own a lot of so i've been able to buy a couple of gowns for our next more formal cruise at ridiculously low prices eg black velvet evening dress reduced to £63  from £210 and i got DH a jacket reduced to £19 from £79 so that been a bit of a bonus.

I've also found that 'day' clothes i have for cruising have found their way into my everyday wardrobe as things have been casual for the last 18mths so think i may need to purchase a few casual tops to compensate the plundering.

Most years i take the same holiday wardrobe away with me which is evident when you look back at old holiday snaps!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

I find it common that people say they'll get tired of the same clothes but it they're home, won't they be wearing the same clothes? Or let me say *I* wear the same clothes.

At home I never wear the same things two days in a row, or even repeat within two weeks or so.  I have the luxury of a full closet; variety is fun!

Going abroad for a month or so, I can get by with very few, interchangeable outfits; just half a small suitcase worth.  By the end of the trip I never want to wear those basics again!

And then on a cruise....I am always under the airline limit, but I do pack a lot of different things.  I enjoy having the day outfits, evening outfits, shore outfits, most of which are things I don't wear at home.

• Like 3

Hi🙂,,,,,a bit yes.  I am flying to Seattle tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise that sails on Thursday😃. I decided to buy a few things. 2 pair of pants and a really soft lighter weight pullover v neck sweater.

And a black top with gold laces around the neckline.  It definitely can be dressed up with dressy slacks.

As for wearing what I have at home? My life has totally changed in the past 1.5 years......I retired in Dec 2019......and was supposed to do ALOT of traveling after that.......well, we all know what happened in 2020😫....I normally wear a lot of shorts/t's right now........it is summer in Florida😲

Anyway, who am I to tell someone what to buy or not buy? If you want to get new clothing for your cruise? GO FOR IT👍 And after everything that has happened, if buying new clothes can make your life a bit happier----definitely go for it😃

• Like 3

I picked out what I’m taking for our October cruise. Make sure everything fits, is pressed (if needed), & decide if I really need/want anything else. I do the same for my husband (he’s easy, been the same size for over 50 years!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, jackiel3290 said:

My husband used to tote the tuxedo for formal nights, but after a trip to Thailand, where I bought him a black and gold silk short-sleeve open neck shirt, he has simplified his wardrobe for cruising. He looks dressed up and is certainly more comfortable.

I'm curious what the dress codes are for a particular line.