Don’t Buy The Drink Package!!!

LOL, Carnival is not in the business of losing money on any deal. You had to know they would protect themselves from loss on this transaction in some manner. 15 drinks in one day certainly seems like enough though. There have been some pretty tragic alcohol related stories from Carnival ships. 

• Like 1

OP knew the limit existed, and undoubtedly knew that the limit of 15 on Cheers was a hard limit.

OP also know there are ways around that limit, or at least should have known, we all talk about the various ways.  Bartenders will let you know when you are getting close, which affords an opportunity to at least slow down or perhaps buy drinks outright using some other manner.

We hit 15 at least a couple times on a given cruise, and are almost always over 10 every day otherwise.

But when I hit 15, I usually am OK with stopping at that point.

• Like 1

Everyone here who is a carnival fanatic says of course everyone knows carnival has a hard limit of 15.

Those who cruise more than one line, and try to remember ..ok this is ncl, this is rcl, this is carnival.

Was like the Galveston thread, where everyone knows cheers doesnt start until the next morning because of texas state laws. However if you are on rcl starts out of Galveston the day you board, possibly with fewer liquors, but they manage around texas state law.

Rcl no daily limit, but drink price limit is around $13 or $14 depending on if you are on a newer ship, but they have a drink price limit I dislike more. 15 works fine for me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

15 drinks per day average cost $10 (for easy math) is $150/day. 7-night cruise is 8 days. That is $1,200 if you hit your limit each day. You are now at NCL drink package pricing. Once you get to know your regular bartenders by name and with greenbacks, your drinks come out with enough alcohol that you like. I enjoy drinking, but I stopped excessive drinking many years ago. I enjoy having a cocktail while enjoying the entertainment around. I don't drink just to drink. 15 is plenty for me, my wife won't come close to it with alcohol, but probably exceed it with coffee. 

I'm fairly certain the package does not count on debarkation day.  Either that or there aren't a lot of people wanting drinks between 7-10am getting off the ship.

I'm very aware of the 15 drink limit and I know I could hit it easily on sea days.  In my case, though, I'm a large man with a formidable tolerance.

10 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

I'm fairly certain the package does not count on debarkation day.  Either that or there aren't a lot of people wanting drinks between 7-10am getting off the ship.

I'm very aware of the 15 drink limit and I know I could hit it easily on sea days.  In my case, though, I'm a large man with a formidable tolerance.

I'm the same, but 15 is still a lot once you grease the skids with the bartender. Your pours become a lot more and the way you like them. Unfortunately, 15 is the limit regardless of size and whether you have the drink package or pay cash. You could find alternative ways to fill the need like purchasing a bottle for the cabin.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:29 PM, BrooklynMarc2018 said:

I was having a nice time by myself on Mardi Gras and after a day of boarding and enjoying the ship, I got cut off from their small sized drinks at the piano bar.  If you ask to buy a drink, they so you can’t.  I’m not some crazy person.  I’m just enjoying being back in the ocean! 🙂 Guest relations said if I didn’t buy the package you could have another drink.  Not a matter of intoxication.  You just shouldn’t have bought the drink package. If I didn’t buy the drink package, I could buy more drinks. Makes sense.  🤪🤷‍♂️👀🙃

If you got cut off at the piano bar, then I suspect you had your share of drinks during the day! 🙂

I agree with you 150 percent. I like to enjoy drinking while in Port and I chose Shore Excursions in Mexico that includes the booze. For instance  I booked a 4 Hour Yacht/Snorkel Cruise for $112 that includes open Bar and Food.  In Puerto Vallarta I selected  a Cooking Class which includes drinks at a Private Villa. 

Also I booked the Chef's Table at $112 which also includes Wine, Champagne and Cocktails. 

Onboard I like the flexibility to drink what I want.  On land I love going to  a local bar and enjoying good local drinks.  

On the ship I don't want to feel guilty that I cannot use the package while on land.  A Drink package ties me to using it or losing it plus the added gratuities and the 15 drink limit which I would not reach. Even if it costs more per drink I don't care I'm on vacation. I budgeted for it.