Should I purchase insurance?

Virgincruiser06

I talked with the carnival rep when I booked about protection insurance, my mom has MS and if something serious were to happen with her I would have to stay home, the carnival rep told me to check with the insurance first because they may not cover pre-existing conditions, I haven't checked with them yet, but just wondering how many of you think the insurance is worth it , or do you just take you chance and pray nothing goes wrong?:confused:

You have to hurry. Most companies won't cover pre-exisiting conditions UNLESS you purchase the insurance within 14 days of booking.

Go to http://www.insuremytrip.com to find the best deal for you.

Make sure you cover your ENTIRE trip (from the time you leave your house, until the time you return). This includes air travel, hotel, and cruise costs.

Do you have homeowners insurance? Auto insurance? etc. Which is the most likely need for protection? I suspect your Mom's condition is more likely, though I hope not.

By the way. There is no coverage under Medicare or Medicade outside the US.

I talked with the carnival rep when I booked about protection insurance, my mom has MS and if something serious were to happen with her I would have to stay home, the carnival rep told me to check with the insurance first because they may not cover pre-existing conditions, I haven't checked with them yet, but just wondering how many of you think the insurance is worth it , or do you just take you chance and pray nothing goes wrong?:confused:

Insurance yes!

Buy the insurance.

Believe me, the biggest risk you're facing is not losing the money in case you have to cancel, it is the risk of if you need to be medically evacuated. That can easily cost $30,000 or more. You might think it won't happen, but you never know when your appendix might burst, have a heart attack, fall and break a body part that needs surgery, etc.

Buy a decent trip insurance policy and it covers you against that and more. (And buy within the specified # days so most preexisting conditions are waived.)

I always buy the insurance. We don't cruise until October and have already received our papers in the mail. I had to call because our travel dates were short by one day and also checked to make sure it covered medical evac. Global Alert, $99 total for two. No charge for adjusting the date.

While I agree that coverage especially for emergency evacuation is good to have it is possible to have too much insurance. Before purchasing any insurance just check to see what you are already covered for and purchase only what you feel you will need.

I always buy insurance for my cruises, no matter the length. You can buy VERY good insurance called Travelex. Rates for kids sailing with parents are free. For our upcoming cruise I only paid $37 TOTAL for my daughter and me and that was the Travelex Plus (their premier coverage.) Travelite is even less and still a great amount of coverage. Probably all you really need, actually. Check it out! I have used Travel Guard and CSA in the past, also both good companies. But, I found that for our last cruise and this one, Travelex gives us the best coverage for our money. And, I like that children under 16 are covered free. https://www.travelex-insurance.com/Consumer/Welcome.htmx

Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com (compare insurance companies and plans)

We didn't get the insurance, and thankfully didn't need it. however, i might get it next time. first 2 of my kids got strep throat days before we sailed. if they had to be treated on the ship, it probably would have cost more then the insurance. also 250 missed our cruise last week because of the big east coast storm. I also say always always fly in the day before!

• 5 months later...

FYI - When children are insured "free", that cost is made up somewhere else. We know better than to think you are going to get something for free. Higher premiums for those who do pay, or perhaps lesser coverages will make up the difference. But it will be made up somewhere. If not with you directly, then somewhere else. Underwriters don't cover people for free. Coverage costs money and there is no such thing as "free" in travel insurance.

Archived