Saga should stick to private transfers , for as long as you have to be tested before you board

Windsurfboy

At the moment  Saga are very sensibly putting everyone on private transfers.  Just read about P&O protocol if any one passenger in a vehicle tests positive  no one from that vehicle is allowed on board. Presume this will be part of general rules applying to all cruise lines.

We are going to isolate for 2 weeks before our cruise to be as safe as possible .  As long as Saga are testing everyone before you board, I  would not want to share a car and be denied boarding because the other couple tested positive.  I hope Saga keep to private transfers as long as you have to be tested before boarding.  If they don't  we'll be shelling out for private transfers

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 3

On 8/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, LandC said:

Saga advised private transfers would be provided for July and August departures.  I don’t know if they have extended this to include later cruises.

Still waiting news for our September transfer

• 1 month later...

Got some paperwork through from Saga regarding our January 2022 cruise.  We opted for a private transfer (at our expense) but it showed as FOC on departure and return on the breakdown.  It looks like they have extended the private taxi transfers into next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CeaJay said:

Got some paperwork through from Saga regarding our January 2022 cruise.  We opted for a private transfer (at our expense) but it showed as FOC on departure and return on the breakdown.  It looks like they have extended the private taxi transfers into next year.

We are booked on a Saga cruise in January 2022 and their website now states that private taxi transfers will be included on January cruises and return to shared transport for cruises starting in February

1 hour ago, LandC said:

It is possible to get your collection time changed.

When our driver telephoned, he suggested an earlier pick-up time because he thought that Saga's time allowed little leeway in case of motorway delays, etc. We departed an hour earlier. 

Surely they will be dropping the whole private transfer thing when you can get off ship and wander around onlocal busses and in local cafes, far better chance of catching it like that than on a SAGA minibus. Also better if you find out before you board rather than being left ashore somewhere abroad finding your own way home once you have recovered.

1 hour ago, Pentlands said:

Surely they will be dropping the whole private transfer thing when you can get off ship and wander around onlocal busses and in local cafes, far better chance of catching it like that than on a SAGA minibus. Also better if you find out before you board rather than being left ashore somewhere abroad finding your own way home once you have recovered.

It'is not about catching it on a minibus, even if you do it won't show up that quickly.  It's about if you've been careful and isolated for two weeks before your holiday, why should you be denied going on holiday because the other couple you are made to travel with have been to the pub or more dangerously looked after grandchildren every day. By forcing you to share Saga are forcing a risk upon you. If you were stopped going on holiday because the  untested people Saga knowingly/recklessly made you share a car with others who tested positive Then over and above you're money back, you would have a very good case for suing Saga for distress and loss of something you'd been looking forward to. 

But I agree if they are letting passengers wander round alone at ports it's not logical to test passengers on embarkation. 

they should either stop testing you before you embark if they are not testing you when you re-board at each port

Or also test as you embark and  everytime you come back from each port.

Only if they are not testing before embarkation should they return to shared travel

Edited by Windsurfboy

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 1:38 PM, LandC said:

Saga advised private transfers would be provided for July and August departures.  I don’t know if they have extended this to include later cruises.

Yes,private transfers for SOD 2021 Christmas cruise.

• 1 month later...

I am sailing on SoA at the end of March and recently received several pages of information from Saga in a letter dated 28 January. It states that "Each household will be allocated a private car up to 250 miles each way ...." whch I interpreted to mean that this would be a car for the sole use of that household. So if there has been a change back to shared cars it must be very recent.

7 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I think the website was saying private transfers up to the end of February, which was probably interpreted by some as reverting to shared in March. It looks as if they are rolling the date back month by month, which makes sense.

Thanks - that would make sense.  

I can't see them reverting to shared transfers until they stop the pre cruise testing, wouldn't make sense.

We certainly won't have a shared transfers whilst they could test others and stop you boarding

Edited by Windsurfboy