USA Today reporting tests hard to find

Titan_Cruiser

Yesterday I woke up with what was likely just allergy symptoms, but since we have a get together planned with an elderly relative this weekend I thought I should get tested. Looked for a rapid test at Walgreens, and while the closest 8 or 10 locations didn't have any openings, but if I drove about 35 minutes I could get a test that afternoon.

In the end I got my test result (negative) less than 12 hours after I decided I wanted one, with a little additional driving required, so all in all I can't complain. Hope it goes that smoothly when my cruise date is here. Of course, your mileage may vary if you are in a place with even greater demand than New York State where I live.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Testing is available everywhere. We will be getting ours at our local Walgreens. You go to Walgreens web site and schedule the test. You drive up to the window, show them your ID. They hand you the swab and container. You swab each nostril and put it in the container. In a few hours you have your results. Do not believe everything you read. So bogus just to scare people.

Not sure why you are accusing people on this board of being untruthful.  NO you cannot get the test everywhere.  The Walgreens in my area (and I'm from Florida too) are not offering Rapid Tests - not in my county or the counties around me.  I sail on the 28th and was finally able to locate a CVS in Tampa which is an hour and a half from  us that has appointments open for Wednesday the 25th.  I am praying that they will not be calling us the day before and cancelling it due to lack of tests.

So, maybe you should do a little research before telling people that we are being bogus to scare people.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Testing is available everywhere. We will be getting ours at our local Walgreens. You go to Walgreens web site and schedule the test. You drive up to the window, show them your ID. They hand you the swab and container. You swab each nostril and put it in the container. In a few hours you have your results. Do not believe everything you read. So bogus just to scare people.

Hello! I agree that the Walgreens test is as easy as you describe, as we just completed it Wednesday. Unfortunately, as several of us on these boards can attest, testing is definitely not available 'everywhere' - and even if you have an appointment at Walgreens or CVS, some are being cancelled, and not just in Florida. I thought we'd be safe up here in Richmond but our CVS appointments were cancelled with little notice, but fortunately a Walgreens within 25 minutes still had some appointments available. I want everyone on these boards to enjoy their upcoming cruise and my goal isn't to scare anyone - it's to forewarn so that those of us who prefer to be forearmed have a potential alternative with minimal scrambling or stress in case of cancellation. I'm NOT recommending that people schedule two appointments - just look for other options in your area. (For example, had we not been able to go to Walgreens, we also found a paid option for $99 each - it wouldn't have been ideal but we were prepared to do so.) I hope this clears up any confusion and that you enjoy your next cruise as well. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, newpherchris said:

Hello! I agree that the Walgreens test is as easy as you describe, as we just completed it Wednesday. Unfortunately, as several of us on these boards can attest, testing is definitely not available 'everywhere' - and even if you have an appointment at Walgreens or CVS, some are being cancelled, and not just in Florida. I thought we'd be safe up here in Richmond but our CVS appointments were cancelled with little notice, but fortunately a Walgreens within 25 minutes still had some appointments available. I want everyone on these boards to enjoy their upcoming cruise and my goal isn't to scare anyone - it's to forewarn so that those of us who prefer to be forearmed have a potential alternative with minimal scrambling or stress in case of cancellation. I'm NOT recommending that people schedule two appointments - just look for other options in your area. (For example, had we not been able to go to Walgreens, we also found a paid option for $99 each - it wouldn't have been ideal but we were prepared to do so.) I hope this clears up any confusion and that you enjoy your next cruise as well. 

Thank you for giving people a heads up.  Even though I've made my appointment for a rapid test as CVS an hour and a half away for next Wednesday for our Mardi Gras cruise on the 28th, I just ordered the Abbot BinaxNOW.  I did this because this is the first I've heard about appointments being cancelled by CVS. 

I appreciate people on this board giving us this information.  I may have "wasted" the $150 plus shipping, but I would be devastated if my appointment is cancelled as I can't see any other CVS or Walgreens having appointments available.  I have a cruise scheduled for November, so if I get the CVS test as planned next week, I can use the BinaxNOW in November.

13 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

It was a struggle to get tested here. The Walgreens was only offering the PCR test with no guarantee of when you would get results. The rapid tests were reserved for people who were exposed or showing symptoms. Quest randomly canceled my husband’s test.   

According to the Walgreens I called, they have been running out of supplies. 

And here is a reason that they are running out of supplies:

Abbott Labs tries to jumpstart production after destroying millions of rapid COVID tests (bangordailynews.com)

19 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

That may be true where you live, but I promise you….that is not the case everywhere.   Where I live only a few places test and it is impossible to get an appointment.   I don’t think anyone is trying to scare anyone. Statements regarding testing seem to be informing people to start making plans early!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruiseFuse said:

That may be true where you live, but I promise you….that is not the case everywhere.   Where I live only a few places test and it is impossible to get an appointment.   I don’t think anyone is trying to scare anyone. Statements regarding testing seem to be informing people to start making plans early!

Sorry to hear that. I live in Florida and no reports what so ever of even long lines. I call the Walgreens we use and they said we can make an appoint the same day.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:54 AM, dlbaqua said:

I'm getting concerned about my Sept 9th cruise. CVS here is taking appointments a week out so hopefully I can get one.

Some CVS stores are taking appointments  2 weeks out. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sc4125 said:

Thank you for giving people a heads up.  Even though I've made my appointment for a rapid test as CVS an hour and a half away for next Wednesday for our Mardi Gras cruise on the 28th, I just ordered the Abbot BinaxNOW.  I did this because this is the first I've heard about appointments being cancelled by CVS. 

I appreciate people on this board giving us this information.  I may have "wasted" the $150 plus shipping, but I would be devastated if my appointment is cancelled as I can't see any other CVS or Walgreens having appointments available.  I have a cruise scheduled for November, so if I get the CVS test as planned next week, I can use the BinaxNOW in November.

Can I ask you if those would be returnable if you don't use them, or what the return policy is on that?

On 8/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, newpherchris said:

I've said this on a couple of other threads but better to be safe than sorry - please consider researching a Plan B in advance. CVS cancelled our rapid antigen appointments in the Richmond, VA two days before the scheduled date. we had booked two weeks in advance and scrambled to find available appointments elsewhere (Walgreens 25 minutes away).

I also live in the Richmond VA area (East End), and I have rapid tests booked at a CVS for my husband and I for next Thursday morning  (cruise on Saturday).  Now, I'm seriously worried that they are going to cancel our appointments, too.  UGH!  I couldn't help noticing there weren't many places around here even willing to do the rapid tests.  At least I'm forewarned, and I'll keep an eye out for cancellation emails,but I sure hope I'm not going to be frantically trying to find someplace for us to get tested next week....!

5 hours ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Can I ask you if those would be returnable if you don't use them, or what the return policy is on that?

You can't return them - the only way to get a refund is if you cancel before they ship the tests, or if they are damaged when you receive them.  Someone had posted that the tests expire in January 2022 - I can't confirm that though. For me it was worth the $$ to have peace of mind in case CVS cancels my appointment.  I have looked for other locations anywhere in my area that are giving rapid tests.  The medical offices where I see my physicians aren't allowing a rapid test unless you meet certain guidelines and travel isn't one of them.  It's a mess!!

• Like 2

Just now, DallasGuy75219 said:

I ordered two home tests today as a backup for my 6 cruises between September and next February.

I have a November cruise with 2 other family members, so if my CVS appt. is a go, I will use them for the 3 of us in November, so won't go to waste if negative test is still needed in November.  I have 4 cruises scheduled next year and will not be surprised to find that the test will be required for all of them.  I heard that these tests expire in January - if that's the case, I will definitely order more at the beginning of the year.

I know someone who tried to get a Covid vaccine shot today (Saturday) at Walgreens and CVS. They were told that they only have Covid vaccine shots Monday - Friday from 10 to 3. I do not know if this applies to PCR or rapid antigen test.  The point is, do not plan on weekends for testing without research. Conventional wisdom would think they would give anyone a Covid vaccine shot if they want it. Not necessarily so.

6 hours ago, coasterjan said:

I also live in the Richmond VA area (East End), and I have rapid tests booked at a CVS for my husband and I for next Thursday morning  (cruise on Saturday).  Now, I'm seriously worried that they are going to cancel our appointments, too.  UGH!  I couldn't help noticing there weren't many places around here even willing to do the rapid tests.  At least I'm forewarned, and I'll keep an eye out for cancellation emails,but I sure hope I'm not going to be frantically trying to find someplace for us to get tested next week....!

Hi Neighbor ! We ended up find last-minute appointments available at a Walgreens in Ashland, VA - it was a drive thru and aside from the drive to get there it was very convenient. Good luck 🙂

11 hours ago, ledges1 said:

I know someone who tried to get a Covid vaccine shot today (Saturday) at Walgreens and CVS. They were told that they only have Covid vaccine shots Monday - Friday from 10 to 3. I do not know if this applies to PCR or rapid antigen test.  The point is, do not plan on weekends for testing without research. Conventional wisdom would think they would give anyone a Covid vaccine shot if they want it. Not necessarily so.

That's my experience up here in Wisconsin too.  We're scheduled for Wednesday morning.

18 hours ago, coasterjan said:

I live in Virginia as well (to the east of you in a more rural community). I ended up buying the home tests (with monitoring) because I was afraid of this very thing.  Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

Yes this is true! My hubsand isn't feeling well (Yes we are vaccinated) and we couldn't find anywhere yesterday that would do a rapid covid test.SMDH   Most places want you to register online(Impossible) as there are no appointments availiable anywhere. We went through our WVU covid test line and they wouldn't do it without a doctors order( NO ONE WAS IN LINE) Not a car or person around, they were just sitting in their chairs waiting for anyone with an covid order again SMDH.We could have easily gotton one but NOOOOOO! When we tried to get an online appointment it was sending me far far away for one! UMMM NO, So I fell you as we have a cruise coming up in December and fear the same thing! 

12 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Does a home test kit give you some sort of negative proof to show when boarding?

9 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Another question about the home test kit. How can you prove to the cruiseline it is your test and not someone else's?

The BinaxNOW tests from eMed have a proctor watching you over your computer or phone camera.  You have have to to provide an ID to prove that it's you, they watch you take the test, they verify the results, and then they provide you a report with the results that you can provide to the cruise line.

This is an example of the proctored tests that are allowed for vaccinated passengers per Carnival's current testing FAQs (https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821) :

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Well I am confused. Are there more than one type of Binex NOW home test kits? This is taken from there question and answer list. 

Can I use this test to meet travel requirements for testing? No, this is for personal use only and doesn’t provide a documented test result that you can display when traveling. For a documented test result the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test may be a better choice. Combined with the NAVICA App and with a negative result, you will have a digital result that may meet travel requirements. This test is offered by eMed, please visit www.emed.com for further information.

35 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well I am confused. Are there more than one type of Binex NOW home test kits? This is taken from there question and answer list. 

The two tests are chemically the same but used for different purposes. 

The antigen self test is basically for your own knowledge of whether you're positive; it provides no verification that it was you who actually took the test or documentation of the results.

The antigen card home test includes the telehealth proctoring that verifies your identity and provides documentation of the results.

Has anyone here cruised recently and used the emed home tests to pass the pre-cruise testing successfully? I would feel better ordering them if I knew Carnival for sure accepts them. Id rather not show up on embarkation day in November and have them tell us to take a hike if we do the emed proctored test. Sure it costs a bit more than the basically free pcr tests around me, but I also know I can do it on my own time and not worry about having no appointments or late results.