Medical resources on ACL ships?

BillHana

We had an RN on our American Spirit sailing in June. I don't know if they staff sailings in non-Covid times; she administered the Covid tests on sailing day. Aside from that, she was available with seasickness meds. They're not set up for much more than minor injuries - we were in port so often that I imagine if you needed more care they'd contact a facility in the port city.

For inland (river) and coastal voyages as ACL does, they are only required to have one officer trained as a "medical first responder", and have a medical locker onboard.  They will also have a medical services provider who is available 24/7 for remote consultation with an MD, to provide care until the vessel reaches port and the patient can be taken to hospital.

On the Constitution we had a doctor. He did all the covid testing, dispensed OTC meds, bandaged up nicks and scraps from falls, etc. He did have a cabin full of medical stuff. I was having issues with my knee arthritis, and he even offered (on the ships dime) to order me a brace and have it delivered at the next port. Very happy with the medical service provided.

7 hours ago, twototravel said:

I was having issues with my knee arthritis, and he even offered (on the ships dime) to order me a brace and have it delivered at the next port. 

That really is nice! Though I was pleasantly surprised with my bill once on Silhouette, the medical center seems to be a profit center for the ocean going lines.