UK day 2 test for US travellers - questions

I am preparing for our trip from JFK to LHR and onward in September, and the testing requirements are driving me crazy!

•  I know that I need a rapid antigen test within 72 hours of flying from the US

•  I know that I need a rapid antigen test within 72 hours of flying back to the US

•  The questions are about the UK 'day 2' lateral flow test requirement.  We will arrive at LHR on a Thursday morning, and leave from LHR for Mallorca the following Sunday [day 3 as UK counts for this purpose].  As I understand it, we are required to self-administer this saliva test and mail the kit to a UK government lab – any time on 'day 1' (Fri) or 'day 2' (Sat).  This requirement is designed for people who are staying in UK longer than 3 days – they won't have processed our tests until after we have left on 'day 3' (Sun).

So the question is whether we really need to do this test?  Will they require proof to let us into LHR for the second flight?  [The cruise line has arranged a charter flight, and they will be performing rapid tests at LHR before we board.]

I asked AZOVA, which is Delta's preferred testing company, and they seemed to think I didn't need to do it – but they weren't sure.

Yes, you must take a Day 2 test. It must be booked before you travel and there is a list of providers who can supply one - note the list is very long and there have been issues with some of them, I suggest resarching this. 

It is NOT a lateral flow test - the Day 2 test has to be capable of genome sequencing. 

The official guidance, which I think is quite clear, is here (and includes a link to the list of suppliers). 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

If you will be leaving the UK within 2 days, you do not need to take the test, but you must still purchase it.

"f you will be in England for less than 2 days you still need to book and pay for a day 2 COVID-19 test. You only need to take the test if you are still in England on day 2."

Here is the link ... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, TheOldBear said:

I'm rather hoping that by November 2022 this will be a moot point - the pay in advance for a test you know will never be administered is a bit strange. 

Actually, it is quite logical - no one can absolutely guarantee that they will leave before Day 2 (what if your cruise is delayed or cancelled, or you break a leg and can’t travel etc etc)

2 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Actually, it is quite logical - no one can absolutely guarantee that they will leave before Day 2 (what if your cruise is delayed or cancelled, or you break a leg and can’t travel etc etc)

Or, if it’s foul weather in Southampton, and we decide to stay onboard for the turnaround day, instead of heading to The Dancing Man for a pint or two.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

Or, if it’s foul weather in Southampton, and we decide to stay onboard for the turnaround day, instead of heading to The Dancing Man for a pint or two.

Having nothing whatsoever to do with the original question, but how foul would the weather have to be to NOT have a pint or two? 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, markeb said:

Having nothing whatsoever to do with the original question, but how foul would the weather have to be to NOT have a pint or two? 

It would need to be something beyond simple rain - it has rained every time we’ve visited and we prepare for that. What’s the history of November tropical storms or blizzards in Southampton?

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 12:30 PM, TheOldBear said:

I'm rather hoping that by November 2022 this will be a moot point - the pay in advance for a test you know will never be administered is a bit strange. 

Also hoping it will be a thing of the past for May 2022, that is start of our British Isles cruise!  At least our fingers are crossed it will be!!!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 4:49 PM, ROWSE said:

Also hoping it will be a thing of the past for May 2022, that is start of our British Isles cruise!  At least our fingers are crossed it will be!!!  

Yup! We are cruising with ROWSE/ Kitty in May. We arrive in London and stay for 3 nights before boarding. I am SO CONFUSED! Should we just stay for two nights? Hopefully, this will be a thing of the past.

I think I have answers to this question. We are going to leave on Celebrity out of Southhampton.  I called Celebrity and they had no help for the Mandatory Day 2 Covid test PCR test.

Google this "PRENETICS EMEA LTD". Click the first link which takes you to their web site. There you will find the magic words " For Arriving in UK" Buy Amber 2 Day test. The cost is the cheapest I found for $79 lbs. Start the process and they will ask for all your info and vaccine info and then they will show a list of hotels in Southampton. My hotel (Jurys Inn) was listed and the 2 day test will be waiting for me at the hotel. BUT most importantly they emailed me the COVID test order Passenger Locator Number you need to fill out in the Passenger Locator form before you fly to UK.

screenshot-www.projectscreen.co.uk-2021.09.15-08_15_04.png

Edited by Cajun5