Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 36

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 30 and Sunday, September 5.

Long weekend coming up (USA). Get out and take pictures. Share! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Another sad week for my love of photography. The DIY projects have become all-consuming as a scheduled family and friends event looms on the near horizon. As a result, this is the first week in a long time that I didn't even pick up a “real” camera. Sad. I suppose the camera in my phone is sort of real and I did do a little photo shoot of a different type of DIY activity from Sunday afternoon when the 100°+ heat put an end to my enthusiasm for the main project. The tasty beverage pictured here was a homestyle re-creation of one of this month’s featured drinks at our favorite watering hole. It is a Maple Smoked Old Fashioned garnished with a Maple syrup brushed bacon skewer that we smoked earlier that day. I’ve been making the drink for a few years, but the bacon made it artful.

Functional Art

1448432484_2021-36FunctionalArt_.thumb.jpg.6c260313aa82150e24b8600697db89ad.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

It's always funny for me to hear rain totals that cause flooding in some places - 1 or 2 inches and things are impassable!  When I lived in California, 1 inch of rain could create mudslides and flood roads and the L.A. River system.  Living in Florida, where rain is a near daily occurrence all summer long, 2-3 inches of rain is pretty much normal.  we see some flooding if we get stupid rain - last time we had noticeable flooding enough to block roads and flood cars in parking lots, we had 8 inches of rain fall in just 35 minutes.  Even then, an hour later all the waters were gone.  Just in the last 27 years or so since I moved from California, our highest daily rain total was over 11 inches.  It's quite tropical down here.

And this past Saturday, I managed to run out to the wetlands in between the morning rainstorms and the later afternoon rainstorms, to do a little walkaround to see what critters I could find:

Yellow-crowned night heron:

original.jpg

Solitary sandpiper:

original.jpg

Grasshopper, sawing away with those wings and legs:

original.jpg

Black-and-white warbler:

original.jpg

Prairie warbler:

original.jpg

Green iguana, lounging on the handrail:
original.jpg

The American bitterns leave us for summer - the last one I saw was in mid-April.  This one spotted Saturday was the first one back for fall:

original.jpg

An anhinga, doing its part in controlling the invasive species in Florida - with an armored catfish for lunch (armored catfish are no bueno!):

original.jpg

• Like 5