Gem Forward facing penthouse (9502) or Aft facing penthouse (10664)

ScottIsMyName

Looking for advice here.  We are currently booked in 10664, and have been called because an "upgrade" is available to 9502.  After doing a bit of research online, I'm not even sure this is an upgrade.  They are asking for $380/pp more for a 5 night cruise. 

What I have gathered is that 9502 will be a larger room, but it seems to me that the balcony on 10664 would be better because there would be no wind most of the time.

Anyone sail in one or both of these and have any opinions? Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

9502 is not really any bigger.  The difference is the balcony size.  The forward facing balcony is very roomy.  We have often had the forward penthouse and loved them.  However, on our last trip the balcony wasn't able to be used as often as I would have liked, so this next trip we're going to try an aft penthouse again as I basically live on my balcony.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it to move.  Now if it was the Owner's Suite I'd jump on it!

Good luck and happy cruising whatever you decide.

• Like 1

As someone who has sailed in 9502 on the Dawn and have sailed on the Gem in 10664, I would say stay where you are.  Yes the balcony on 9502 is much larger but you can't really use it when sailing.   WAY TOO windy.   At night you have to keep the drapes closed as it interferes with the Bridge.  And yes if they want to offer you an upgrade to the Owner's Suite, jump on it.  

There's nothing better than the Suite Life

Monty  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies and advice, it is much appreciated!  When I first got the call, I almost immediately said yes, but glad I checked in.

They also offered me an Owner's suite, but the price is $1800/pp more, which is a bit out of my budget.

3 hours ago, ScottIsMyName said:

Looking for advice here.  We are currently booked in 10664, and have been called because an "upgrade" is available to 9502.  After doing a bit of research online, I'm not even sure this is an upgrade.  They are asking for $380/pp more for a 5 night cruise. 

What I have gathered is that 9502 will be a larger room, but it seems to me that the balcony on 10664 would be better because there would be no wind most of the time.

Anyone sail in one or both of these and have any opinions? Thank you in advance!

My wife and I have suite in booth aft and forward suites. I liked forward for the size balcony. Keep in mind it can be pretty windy. My wife liked the aft cabin. I wasn't thrilled with the ash blowing on the balcony every day. 

What is the charter you are taking?

Edited by Laszlo

We've sailed in 10664, and in forward-facing penthouses 10000 and 10500 on the Jewel class ships (the deck above 9502).   9502 has a huge balcony, and the forward-facing view is great, but how special it would be depends on the itinerary.  We loved the forward-facing view for our two Panama Canal cruises, which were also warm weather cruises.   The balcony on 10664 is large, but not anywhere as large as on 9502.  As for wind, yes, you'd be more protected in the aft-facing suite.

2 hours ago, Baitman19 said:

As someone who has sailed in 9502 on the Dawn and have sailed on the Gem in 10664, I would say stay where you are.  Yes the balcony on 9502 is much larger but you can't really use it when sailing.   WAY TOO windy.   At night you have to keep the drapes closed as it interferes with the Bridge. 

We had no problem closing the drapes at night when we sailed in the forward-facing suites directly under the bridge; it's not as though you can really see out at night through the window.   We loved the forward-facing view; closing the drapes at night was a minor matter.  Wind could be an issue on a cold weather cruise; we were okay on the balcony when we were seated.   It is true, though, that wind should not be an issue for the aft-facing suites, so if that's a concern for folks, aft would be better. 

50 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

My wife and I have suite in booth aft and forward suites. I liked forward for the size balcony. Keep in mind it can be pretty windy. My wife liked the aft cabin. I wasn't thrilled with the ash blowing on the balcony every day. 

What is the charter you are taking?

I have heard mixed reviews about the ash on the balcony, I guess it's really kind of luck of the draw with regards to where the wind blows it.

We are sailing on the rock boat cruise:

https://www.therockboat.com/

• Like 1

I have heard mixed reviews about the ash on the balcony, I guess it's really kind of luck of the draw with regards to where the wind blows it.

We didn’t do the front on that class, but loved loved loved the aft penthouses in the Pearl class ships. 

ps — we’ve seen Switchfoot and American Authors open for other bands in various concerts, both were good, and I really like that one Sister Hazel song. 😁. Enjoy!!

15 hours ago, ScottIsMyName said:

Nice!   That should be a great time. Yea, it seems to be worse when you have a following wind. I was surprised at how large the "Ash" particles were. From the size of a pencil eraser to a quarter. I know our room steward was not happy. He as hosing down the balconies of a bunch of rooms 3-4 days in a row