Updated drink package information

potchak

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I was transferring over my experiences with Princess which used to put an unlimited drink package sticker on the cruise card.  They were unlimited drink packages.  I remember the hue and cry when Princess started to limit the number of alcoholic beverages.  

According to the following web site, the HAL packages were also truly unlimited at one time:

"Holland America Line Beverage Package Options

Enhance your vacation with any choice of the following beverage packages! While optional, many guests opt for these choices for a worry-free, inclusive cruise!

Carnival wants every guest to enjoy their cruise to the fullest. They know you'll want to unwind and savor the seas with a refreshing beverage in your hand. Because of this, they have two beverage packages to make your cruise dreams a reality. Both packages offer unlimited helpings of the drinks you love, or new favorites you have yet to try. Whether you want alcoholic included or not, one of these packages should best meet your needs."

Holland America Line Drink Packages | The Cruise Web

I went to look at your site and I think  It is erroneous when it comes to HAL since they are talking about the very recent Signature Beverage Package by the pricing and the 15% service charge.  That package had a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks, for sure.

No big deal as I don’t know too many people that could drink 15 alcoholic drinks. 😉 

• Like 1

Yeah, Princess was truly unlimited a few years ago. Now its 15 alcoholic beverages. Carnival is 15 alcoholic drinks per day but non-alcoholic is unlimited. HAL is really making it confusing to understand what their packages consist of. Signature - 15 beverages total. Elite - 15 Alcoholic Beverages and unlimited non-alcoholic? Even their website and literature is inconsistent. Anybody speak to a rep about this? And do they really know?

5 minutes ago, figmentdj said:

Yeah, Princess was truly unlimited a few years ago. Now its 15 alcoholic beverages. Carnival is 15 alcoholic drinks per day but non-alcoholic is unlimited. HAL is really making it confusing to understand what their packages consist of. Signature - 15 beverages total. Elite - 15 Alcoholic Beverages and unlimited non-alcoholic? Even their website and literature is inconsistent. Anybody speak to a rep about this? And do they really know?

The problem with getting clarification from a rep is that the answer usually depends on which rep you are speaking with.  The true measure will be those passengers with experience with both packages.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The problem with getting clarification from a rep is that the answer usually depends on which rep you are speaking with.  The true measure will be those passengers with experience with both packages.

That's the real issue.  It differs from person to person and you can't get a consistent, definitive answer.  We had issues with the limitations on the standard beverage package on our cruise a month ago because we ordered a bunch of water bottles and they rang up some of mine on my fiance's card so he went over the limit.  Guest services was no help with resolving the issue and even the beverage director wasn't sure what the packages actually included.  I showed him what was on the HAL site (which still said the standard beverage package includes 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited non-alcoholic drinks) and he finally took off the overage charges.  He said the website was outdated and he hadn't been able to get them to update it but agreed that was a HAL issue and we shouldn't be charged for the overages on water bottles.

We have another cruise booked for the end of December and are thinking about buying the elite package but don't think it's worth spending the extra money on that over the standard one unless the non-alcoholic drinks are actually unlimited.  The last thing we want to do is spend our vacation counting how many bottles of water we've consumed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

We have another cruise booked for the end of December and are thinking about buying the elite package but don't think it's worth spending the extra money on that over the standard one unless the non-alcoholic drinks are actually unlimited.  The last thing we want to do is spend our vacation counting how many bottles of water we've consumed.

Absolutely! Why we can't get a straight answer baffles me.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:56 AM, roxybear135 said:

That's the real issue.  It differs from person to person and you can't get a consistent, definitive answer.  We had issues with the limitations on the standard beverage package on our cruise a month ago because we ordered a bunch of water bottles and they rang up some of mine on my fiance's card so he went over the limit.  Guest services was no help with resolving the issue and even the beverage director wasn't sure what the packages actually included.  I showed him what was on the HAL site (which still said the standard beverage package includes 15 alcoholic drinks and unlimited non-alcoholic drinks) and he finally took off the overage charges.  He said the website was outdated and he hadn't been able to get them to update it but agreed that was a HAL issue and we shouldn't be charged for the overages on water bottles.

We've been trying to figure out the same thing. If anyone finds out the answer to this, can you please post it. Don't mind upgrading to Elite if non-alcoholic beverages are not included in the 15.

THANKS!!!!!

I don’t drink soft drinks, or a lot of adult beverages, and have found that buying a bottle of wine from the main list is cheaper than buying a package for a 7-day cruise. I travel solo, so three bottles of wine lasts me the whole trip. Can’t wait to get back on a ship and have a Prusser’s Pain Killer! (I think that was the name… lol)

On 9/2/2021 at 10:32 AM, esimon said:

I must not drink enough LOL  - can't imagine drinking 15 drinks  a day every day - even with water and coffee etc.   

I'm starting to read this thread and so glad you said that....I cannot wrap my head around 15 drinks/day not being enough... 

Doing the math, there are 24 hours in a day...Let's say you sleep for 8 hours...That leaves 16 hours...That is .94 drink per hour you are awake......Or three meals a day that is 5 drinks per meal.....How do you possibly drink 15 drinks of anything in one day?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm starting to read this thread and so glad you said that....I cannot wrap my head around 15 drinks/day not being enough... 

Doing the math, there are 24 hours in a day...Let's say you sleep for 8 hours...That leaves 16 hours...That is .94 drink per hour you are awake......Or three meals a day that is 5 drinks per meal.....How do you possibly drink 15 drinks of anything in one day?

Regardless of whether you think 15 drinks is too much or not enough...the issue at hand is what the policy is and what's included in the packages that HAL sells. 

• Like 5

On 9/28/2021 at 6:19 PM, Navybikermom said:

I don’t drink soft drinks, or a lot of adult beverages, and have found that buying a bottle of wine from the main list is cheaper than buying a package for a 7-day cruise. I travel solo, so three bottles of wine lasts me the whole trip. Can’t wait to get back on a ship and have a Prusser’s Pain Killer! (I think that was the name… lol)

Ask for a Wang Wang…this will make your server ecstatic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wang Wang Drink Recipe:

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

Wang Wang Drink Recipe:

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

that is our tried and true jet lag cure :^)

11 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Wang Wang Drink Recipe:

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Sounds like something I heard about. When I was in college they used to have some wild parties where everyone was asked to bring a bottle of something. They would all empty thier bottles into a large punch bowl and the party would start.

I did a lot of dumb things in my youth but I was never quite dumb enough to attend one of those parties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, FlaMariner said:

Maybe it includes free transfers to the nearest Betty Ford Clinic after the cruise.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:34 PM, FlaMariner said:

I don't drink coffee or any alcohol, so the drink package wasn't really worth much to me. I think my DW and I may have consumed up to six drinks in a day between us.

That said, I did see some people consume five or six coffees before breakfast. You could get a drink and a bottle of water at each meal without being overindulgent. That only leaves two or three extra drinks throughout the day at various music venues. Add a milkshake or two and a smoothie, and you are over your fifteen limit.

• Like 1

So nobody is talking about how we bought an unlimited drink package and now are limited to 15 drinks? This is illegal. This isn't what we paid for. And no, I don't want more than 15 alcoholic drinks-I probably want no more than three. But I do drink alot of water and soda. And yes, it is easy for me to go over 15 a day. Which I could live with, but now I can't bring water on board and if I bring soda, it has to be in extremely limited amounts. Someone at HAL didn't think this through very well. The more I hear of the changes that haven't been though out well, the more I am unhappy. Did anyone in management even bother to talk to long time cruisers? It's bad enough the rates have gone soaring, but now there are all sorts of additional costs and now things we had already contracted for are being unilaterally taken away with no notice. No one thinks this is a problem? It's illegal for one thing if these are cancelled cruises and not newly booked-this isn't what you contracted for! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambamama said:

So nobody is talking about how we bought an unlimited drink package and now are limited to 15 drinks? This is illegal. This isn't what we paid for

I've haven't cruised much but from what I remember the SBP was not unlimited on our prior cruises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sambamama said:

So nobody is talking about how we bought an unlimited drink package and now are limited to 15 drinks? This is illegal. This isn't what we paid for. And no, I don't want more than 15 alcoholic drinks-I probably want no more than three. But I do drink alot of water and soda. And yes, it is easy for me to go over 15 a day. Which I could live with, but now I can't bring water on board and if I bring soda, it has to be in extremely limited amounts. Someone at HAL didn't think this through very well. The more I hear of the changes that haven't been though out well, the more I am unhappy. Did anyone in management even bother to talk to long time cruisers? It's bad enough the rates have gone soaring, but now there are all sorts of additional costs and now things we had already contracted for are being unilaterally taken away with no notice. No one thinks this is a problem? It's illegal for one thing if these are cancelled cruises and not newly booked-this isn't what you contracted for! 

From what I read I agree with your summation . There are people here who think that this cruise line is above  reproach   . In other words it is like it is their personnel pet  .

When any business starts bate & switch tactics  it starts smelling really bad  .when a web site states one thing & people buy under that information ,changing it to some thing else is called bait & switch & yes that is illegal  

Although it was said in the 19th  Century by President Lincoln "you san fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time  "  

It is well known to marketing people that if a customer is miffed & the problem is not amicably  resolved  ,that customer can reach out to at least 10 other people 

Yelp , Facebook ,Twiter ie  are tools that consumers can vent . I trust that the management of  Holland America   make this right  . If not then (fill in the blanks )

Edited by mcrcruiser

16 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

From what I read I agree with your summation . There are people here who think that this cruise line is above  reproach   . In other words it is like it is their personnel pet 

Sorry to disappoint but I am not a cheerleader.  I call things as I see them.

If you don’t “get” or “realize” that the cruise lines have lost money and need to catch up then I can’t help with that.  

16 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

When any business starts bate & switch tactics  it starts smelling really bad  .when a web site states one thing & people buy under that information ,changing it to some thing else is called bait & switch & yes that is illegal  

There is no bait and switch on the HIA Signature Beverage Package. It has always stated 15 drinks on the description.  Sheesh.

I have learned that reading what is included and the fine print has worked well for me. 😉 

edited to say - for those that want a lot of waters, sodas or specialty coffees that will take you over, just buy a beverage card and use that for the cheaper drinks and your regular room key card for the more expensive ones.  15 drinks is more than enough for us but I recognize it may not suffice for all if regular coffee, etc doesn’t suit 😉 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry to disappoint but I am not a cheerleader.  I call things as I see them.

If you don’t “get” or “realize” that the cruise lines have lost money and need to catch up then I can’t help with that.  

There is no bait and switch on the HIA Signature Beverage Package. It has always stated 15 drinks on the description.  Sheesh.

I have learned that reading what is included and the fine print has worked well for me. 😉 

Perhaps you  should take the position of the  customer  vs  the profit or non profit of this or any other business unless you own it 100%   . If you bothered to check their Financials under CCL   you would see a whole lot of manipulation  . We look at the cruise business like any other business .If they make  it too difficult for customers to buy & people only buy from whom they like ,then they suffer the consequences  like Seas Roebuck ,K Mart  ie  .Hope this helps 

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Perhaps you  should take the position of the  customer  vs  the profit or non profit of this or any other business unless you own it 100%   . If you bothered to check their Financials under CCL   you would see a whole lot of manipulation  . We look at the cruise business like any other business .If they make  it too difficult for customers to buy & people only buy from whom they like ,then they suffer the consequences  like Seas Roebuck ,K Mart  ie  .Hope this helps 

I am  a customer - just talking reality. The businesses you quoted failed for different reasons  than what the cruise lines have faced.

You are missing the boat a bit on what the cruise lines have dealt with and no, I’m not on their side but I have paid corkage for a number of years and don’t see the big deal a lot of making out of this.

Heck, I didn’t even book the HIA for one of my cruises will just buy beverage cards.  Easy.  And the water in my room is discounted by 50%

If it doesn’t suit, don’t sail with them - easy. I can bet a number of us will for their unique itineraries and, in fact my cabin category is sold out on one sailing.  But we are willing to fly unlike you 😉 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kazu said:

I am  a customer - just talking reality. The businesses you quoted failed for different reasons  than what the cruise lines have faced.

You are missing the boat a bit on what the cruise lines have dealt with and no, I’m not on their side but I have paid corkage for a number of years and don’t see the big deal a lot of making out of this.

Heck, I didn’t even book the HIA for one of my cruises will just buy beverage cards.  Easy.  And the water in my room is discounted by 50%

If it doesn’t suit, don’t sail with them - easy. I can bet a number of us will for their unique itineraries and, in fact my cabin category is sold out on one sailing.  But we are willing to fly unlike you 😉 

Trust me We have flown all over the world but when there are physical restraints  flying is then not a option any longer . One day you may get there yourself  

Candidly I really do not care what the cruise lines endured during the pandemic . They are not the only ones & there  are  thousands upon thousands whom have lost their small business during this  pandemic . I personally resent the fact that cruise lines raise prices & cut back  simultaneously  . Keep doing that & those once happy  cruisers will be looking else where to spend their post taxed hard earned monies   . There are many different sized pocket books out there & one size don't fit all . Even now ships are sailing with far less pax than pre pandemic levels & it is not just because of cruise fares alone .Add in hassles of  flying today , high cost of pre & or post cruse hotel stays , general high inflation in the USA , the pre cruise medical hoops & now you can see the reality of the future of the cruise industry ;which imo is not a business I would invest my dollars into