Should we or should we not….cruise in September 2021?

batsthebrief

Having been fortunate to complete a Far East cruise in February 2020 and another on the ZAANDAM in South America, and having five cruises cancelled…for obvious reasons in the pandemic, we are cautious about getting on a cruise ship in September having had the cruise confirmed as going ahead today, two weeks before we are due to sail from Civitavecchia with NCL. Whilst entry restrictions have been relaxed to enter Italy, several remain and we understand that unless we are on an organised tour, we will not be able to get off the ship at any Italian port.

With all the required tests, the additional cost, the lack of support from our travel agent, we were hoping to substitute the cruise with one leaving and returning to the UK, where we are based. 
We enquired about our options which after unanswered emails and calls turned out to be ‘Sail or lose all your money’ or if you choose another NCL cruise which must be done immediately, we will advise how much you will be penalised at that stage.

So, whilst apprehensive, we currently plan to travel. 
We must arrange fit to fly antigen tests, day 2 return PCR tests, Passenger locator forms, vaccination certificates as well as the usual flight and cruise checkin formalities. 
Hopefully it will all be worth it but at this stage, given a proper choice….we wouldn’t be going!

A great part of travelling is to relax and freely explore new places. Neither of these are really sounding incredibly likely if I have to stress about all the testing / quarantine possibilities, forced ship big box excursions, and the general mask unpleasantness (which I fully support but doesn't make it fun).  

I was really considering the Getaway next month but have decided not worth it. 

You are already invested and sounds like can't get out, so I would make the best of it - it is just a dice roll at this point and there is also a great possibility there are no issues and you have a nice low-key cruise with a less full ship. Best wishes for smooth sailing!

• Like 1

We are boarding on 26th September and have decided to go. Having said that we have been to all the ports before and under normal circumstances would not consider a Western Med cruise so we are happy to stay on the ship most of the time.

We are driving up from the Valencia region but will need an antigen test before we set off, the test at the pier and then they give us another one on the ship before we get back to Barcelina which you could use as a fit to fly test assuming you are flying back the day we get back to Barcelona of course you would still need a day two test.

If you are still 15 days out you can cancel and get FCC under the peace of mind policy

How can anyone decide based on another person opinion? One says yes other says no.

Only you and you alone must make up your mind. It is your life, money, health, etc., you are playing with. 

Who of us is the right person to believe? Why trust me or anyone else to make a decision for you?

Not me. I just canceled 2 NCL cruises on the Epic out of Barcelona and the Getaway out of Rome for Nov & Dec 2020.

Remember Stay Safe!

• Like 3

Our 23 cruises have always been about the relaxation and freedom from any worries once we left our house.  We would drive or fly away with a big smile, relaxed.  I'm afraid all of that is no longer possible for us anyhow.  We are going to wait it out, see what happens, and hope we aren't too old to cruise if it ever returns to something like previous normal.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, batsthebrief said:

Having been fortunate to complete a Far East cruise in February 2020 and another on the ZAANDAM in South America, and having five cruises cancelled…for obvious reasons in the pandemic, we are cautious about getting on a cruise ship in September having had the cruise confirmed as going ahead today, two weeks before we are due to sail from Civitavecchia with NCL. Whilst entry restrictions have been relaxed to enter Italy, several remain and we understand that unless we are on an organised tour, we will not be able to get off the ship at any Italian port.

With all the required tests, the additional cost, the lack of support from our travel agent, we were hoping to substitute the cruise with one leaving and returning to the UK, where we are based. 
We enquired about our options which after unanswered emails and calls turned out to be ‘Sail or lose all your money’ or if you choose another NCL cruise which must be done immediately, we will advise how much you will be penalised at that stage.

So, whilst apprehensive, we currently plan to travel. 
We must arrange fit to fly antigen tests, day 2 return PCR tests, Passenger locator forms, vaccination certificates as well as the usual flight and cruise checkin formalities. 
Hopefully it will all be worth it but at this stage, given a proper choice….we wouldn’t be going!

Unfortunately, NCL is the only major cruiseline that isnt doing the UK cruises this year.  As someone else said noone else can decide for you.  We also dont know your age, health, work situation, risk tolerance, etc which also would factor into the decision.