Sapphire Princess 2022 deployment?!

hapster85

9 hours ago, compozer said:

I received new confirmations today from my TA.     Our son's cabin has Price Protection across the top but our suite does not have it.

Booked same day, same ship, same cruise dates.   

Why one and not the other?????

You stated that you asked to be moved to a different suite, away from the bow. You accepted a more expensive category, and were told you'd have to pay the difference. Your price was protected until you asked for that change. I don't understand what you're confused about.

6 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I do hope that you will be able to visit Alaska more than once. I have had the great good fortune to visit every US state at least twice, as both my family by birth and my family by marriage chose to live quite small, and travel somewhat big. Alaska is my favorite state to visit. 

Perhaps you can select the best itinerary for your current needs now, and visit again, including new places, at somw point in the future. 

Best of luck to you!

We have been to Alaska several times.  This is the first for the kids.   We probably would not have selected it if it wasn't for the kids.  We have traveled all over the world and there are places we want to visit before returning to others.   I agree with you that Ketchikan has so many fun activities.  We stayed in Victoria a couple days before taking the fast ferry to Seattle.  The gardens are absolutely beautiful  but there is not anything the kids want to see - and we had such a cool excursion planned for Ketchikan.        

Thanks - We are fortunate we can travel and it will all work out and we will make the best of it.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hapster85 said:

You stated that you asked to be moved to a different suite, away from the bow. You accepted a more expensive category, and were told you'd have to pay the difference. Your price was protected until you asked for that change. I don't understand what you're confused about.

I think the issue was the same as mine I booked early to get the coveted vista suite which protects you from the sun and wind and is considered a S 6 and it is only that category because of the support beams which most people look past however the cabin is the same as a penthouse suite..  By substituting and giving you a S5 suite is definitely not an upgrade as the balcony faces the side and is small and the front of the ship has more movement.  Replacing with a S3 is comparable but a side S3 suite is not as good as an aft suite for Alaska. However please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, gerig said:

I think the issue was the same as mine I booked early to get the coveted vista suite which protects you from the sun and wind and is considered a S 6 and it is only that category because of the support beams which most people look past however the cabin is the same as a penthouse suite..  By substituting and giving you a S5 suite is definitely not an upgrade as the balcony faces the side and is small and the front of the ship has more movement.  Replacing with a S3 is comparable but a side S3 suite is not as good as an aft suite for Alaska. However please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

4 hours ago, hapster85 said:

One more thing we were told we would be given cabins in the same location on the new ship.

31 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Oh hell no.

I just logged in and they replaced Glacier Bay with Hubbard Glacier.  This is on a northbound Vancouver-Whittier cruise.

PACD-JD,   if you are referencing the original 5/14 northbound sailing of the Sapphire, that was never scheduled to go to Glacier Bay for some reason and substituted Hubbard.  We noticed that when we booked but since we were doing the back to back roundtrip with the 5/21 southbound sailing visiting Glacier Bay that was not a deal killer for us. 

3 hours ago, gerig said:

Looking at price differences between those cabins on a couple of different sites, it would appear that Princess considers it an upgrade.

3 hours ago, gerig said:

One more thing we were told we would be given cabins in the same location on the new ship.

By whom? My redeployment letter from Princess made no such promise. One is certainly free to contact them about reassignment after the fact.

29 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Oh hell no.

I just logged in and they replaced Glacier Bay with Hubbard Glacier.  This is on a northbound Vancouver-Whittier cruise.

So far, our southbound itinerary still lists Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay was our single most important reason for choosing Princess. We lose that, we'll definitely cancel.

• Like 1

As far as suites go those of us who booked Vista suites S6 on the Sapphire which are the lowest suite rate on that ship - the Royal does not has any S6 suites so they are moving us to the lowest suite level on the Royal which would be an S5 - this should be price protected but they are not going to give you the highest level suite at the same price.  We have still not gotten a new invoice but will be contacting our PVP on Monday

27 minutes ago, seattlecruiser said:

PACD-JD,   if you are referencing the original 5/14 northbound sailing of the Sapphire, that was never scheduled to go to Glacier Bay for some reason and substituted Hubbard.  We noticed that when we booked but since we were doing the back to back roundtrip with the 5/21 southbound sailing visiting Glacier Bay that was not a deal killer for us. 

My 06/25/22 was a Glacier Bay trip.  Would never book an Alaskan cruise without it.

• Like 1

I was looking at my cruise summary for a land/sea tour.  It indicates that we will be taken from Anchorage to Denali by bus (as expected) but will be  "dropped off at the Denali Cabins for your connection to the Backcountry Lodge."    I have no idea what this is. We are supposed to stay at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge"  Anyone have any idea what they are talking about? I would call but the hold time is crazy...

Thanks

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Oh hell no.

3 hours ago, seattlecruiser said:

Hi, 

having been to glacier Bay 3 times and to Hubbard twice, Hubbard is way more spectacular. Hubbard is several miles wide and Marjorie glacier is basically a blip on the radar compared to Hubbard. They’re both great, don’t get me wrong,  but I am still mesmerized by what I saw at Hubbard. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 2

We’ve received an email (on 9/1/2021) from Princess about the redeployment of the Sapphire to the Royal (July 16, 2022 tour EB4).  The email shows the new booking # and the port change to Victoria. When I login to my account (Personalizer) all I get is a black screen for this booking.  Nothing!  Has anyone been able to access their booking for any July sailings?  John

2 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I was looking at my cruise summary for a land/sea tour.  It indicates that we will be taken from Anchorage to Denali by bus (as expected) but will be  "dropped off at the Denali Cabins for your connection to the Backcountry Lodge."    I have no idea what this is. We are supposed to stay at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge"  Anyone have any idea what they are talking about? I would call but the hold time is crazy...

Thanks

Whoa that's quite a mistake - and an upgrade!  We've stayed at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge twice which is right in "town" and where most of those on Princess land tours stay.  The Denali Cabins are owned by a company called Pursuit as is the Backcountry Lodge.  We stayed at the Denali Cabins and took the Pursuit bus tour to the end of the road in Denali to Kantishna where the Backcountry Lodge is.  We spent a couple hours there but know that staying at that lodge would be cost significantly more $$ than the Princess lodge would be.  Our trip that included Denali Cabins was booked independently and I don't know of a connection between Princess or Holland America Group to Pursuit.  So that's quite an interesting mistake you have there.  It will no doubt be fixed at some point but you should think about calling back when (if??) things calm down.

EDITTED to add:  I now wonder if Princess is thinking about a joint venture with Pursuit?  You couldn't do this in the maximum of two days currently allotted to staying near Denali but it would be an interesting addition for those who want to really get away from it all.

Edited by azbirdmom

1 hour ago, John99 said:

We’ve received an email (on 9/1/2021) from Princess about the redeployment of the Sapphire to the Royal (July 16, 2022 tour EB4).  The email shows the new booking # and the port change to Victoria. When I login to my account (Personalizer) all I get is a black screen for this booking.  Nothing!  Has anyone been able to access their booking for any July sailings?  John

Presumably, all will be revealed tomorrow, 9/17. But in the meantime, you can follow the tip given here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2799342-sapphire-princess-2022-deployment/?do=findComment&comment=61814918

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Whoa that's quite a mistake - and an upgrade!  We've stayed at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge twice which is right in "town" and where most of those on Princess land tours stay.  The Denali Cabins are owned by a company called Pursuit as is the Backcountry Lodge.  We stayed at the Denali Cabins and took the Pursuit bus tour to the end of the road in Denali to Kantishna where the Backcountry Lodge is.  We spent a couple hours there but know that staying at that lodge would be cost significantly more $$ than the Princess lodge would be.  Our trip that included Denali Cabins was booked independently and I don't know of a connection between Princess or Holland America Group to Pursuit.  So that's quite an interesting mistake you have there.  It will no doubt be fixed at some point but you should think about calling back when (if??) things calm down.

EDITTED to add:  I now wonder if Princess is thinking about a joint venture with Pursuit?  You couldn't do this in the maximum of two days currently allotted to staying near Denali but it would be an interesting addition for those who want to really get away from it all.

Well, this is exactly what I would think. I thought it would be cool but really didn't think it was right. Interesting to see when they make the correction.

• Like 1

Well, it's the 17th, and the summary page still doesn't work and I don't have an email from my TA about it.  However, another change to my itinerary page:  the destination is now called "Alaska Gulf Northbound."  Talk about a bait and switch.

30 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Well, it's the 17th, and the summary page still doesn't work and I don't have an email from my TA about it.  However, another change to my itinerary page:  the destination is now called "Alaska Gulf Northbound."  Talk about a bait and switch.

Yes it's the 17th and it is still very early on the west coast. Princess' offices aren't even open yet. Whether they meet their self-imposed schedule goal remains to be seen but IMHO they don't miss the goal  until close of business on the west coast.

Meanwhile, it's clear they are making progress although awkwardly. I'm getting emails telling me to book EZAir and excursions. I already have flights and can't book excursions now if I tried because the personalizer isn't officially available.

41 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Yes it is the 17th but there is some hope. I used the "backdoor" to get into my hidden itinerary page and noticed all my fares have been changed to my original Sapphire booking, my pre-cruise tour hotel has been added and my EZ Air flights are back. Progress, hopefully.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coolbreeze!!!! said:

Yes it is the 17th but there is some hope. I used the "backdoor" to get into my hidden itinerary page and noticed all my fares have been changed to my original Sapphire booking, my pre-cruise tour hotel has been added and my EZ Air flights are back. Progress, hopefully.

I don't see my fares, but I'll wait until tomorrow.  Unless the Princess Fairy reduces my rate by a lot! (which I think is fair for not going to Glacier Bay), I'll be cancelling.  Maybe I'm being unfair to Princess, but since this was my first cruise ever, probably won't be choosing her again.  Life's too short for bad first impressions.

I logged in this morning.  I can access other bookings (2) but not the new Royal booking.  Black screen!!  At the top of the screen it shows – “Language” and “My Account”.  Also, I’m getting emails to book my flights using EZ Air.  Go figure?  I used “itinerary” and “summary” which was recommended to no avail.  I checked the calendar which indicates it’s September 17th.   In the Mid-west we’re 3 hours ahead of the West Coast.  Hopefully Princess will open up this booking before the end of the day. Well -- maybe Princess meant September 18th?  John

11 minutes ago, spaceballfa99 said:

My TA said they just spoke to Princess and was told we may not have the new Royal assignments for our Aug 22 cruise until next week now.  

Can't say I'm surprised, but I'd rather they get it right than make some arbitrary date "on time".

Thanks to the "back door" trick I learned my assignment today. It seems whoever does these reassignments for Princess assumes all S3s are the same. I was assigned one of the Aloha S3s on the Royal--when our original suite on the Sapphire was the S1 Grand Suite. We were so disappointed at the change in ships, as this was our first time scheduling a suite and a special occasion. But then to be reassigned to a suite with virtually no balcony! This seemed so unfair. So I called about an hour ago, and it seems like late afternoon on a Friday may be a good time to call because I got a live person in about ten minutes. Unfortunately, she did not seem to know what she was doing. She had a hard time understanding what I was even getting at about the S3 suites having vastly different balconies depending on the deck. She said she would investigate....and about 10 minutes later we got cut off.

I almost gave up, but finally decided to give it one more try. Again, got in after maybe 7 or 8 minutes. This time I got someone who understood the problem right away, and knew exactly what to do. And within five minutes max he had changed our assignment to one of the S3s on the Baja deck.

For a while there, it was really stressful. But he saved the day, and now once again we look forward to our trip next May. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Grislap said:

I almost gave up, but finally decided to give it one more try. Again, got in after maybe 7 or 8 minutes. This time I got someone who understood the problem right away, and knew exactly what to do. And within five minutes max he had changed our assignment to one of the S3s on the Baja deck.

It's especially hard as many (most?) of the Princess reps have never been on a ship at all let alone cruised in a suite. They have no understanding at all regarding what makes one cabin more desirable than another.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grislap said:

Thanks to the "back door" trick I learned my assignment today. It seems whoever does these reassignments for Princess assumes all S3s are the same. I was assigned one of the Aloha S3s on the Royal--when our original suite on the Sapphire was the S1 Grand Suite. We were so disappointed at the change in ships, as this was our first time scheduling a suite and a special occasion. But then to be reassigned to a suite with virtually no balcony! This seemed so unfair. So I called about an hour ago, and it seems like late afternoon on a Friday may be a good time to call because I got a live person in about ten minutes. Unfortunately, she did not seem to know what she was doing. She had a hard time understanding what I was even getting at about the S3 suites having vastly different balconies depending on the deck. She said she would investigate....and about 10 minutes later we got cut off.

For a while there, it was really stressful. But he saved the day, and now once again we look forward to our trip next May. 

Lucky you. I was on hold from 5pm to after 7pm EST. But I did talk with someone to voice my dissatisfaction with reducing our 12 day, 7 stop cruise to the new ship and cutting out one of the stops (Prince Rupert, which I really wanted to see) and still charging the same. I know it is in the contract that they can do this, but it still makes me mad. She was nice and very professional, but nothing she could (or would) do about it. But is is on file that we are unhappy and we may show that by cancelling before the final payment is due, but for now it is a wait and see what else they change. We were able to change our balcony cabin which was originally 3 decks above the life boats and they moved us to the exact deck/cabin on the Royal, but directly above them. So we are now once again 3 decks above.  

• Like 1