Sapphire Princess 2022 deployment?!

hapster85

1 hour ago, compozer said:

Maybe we should stop posting how great the aft suites are.   I also book them as soon as they are released but this past year, they are booking up first.  Like they use to 10 years ago.    We need to start saying how bad they are and they are not worth the money.

Sounds like a plan - mum's the word!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WVHillbilly said:

Just got the email for our June 18, 2022, they are switching Ketchikan  to Victoria.  Not happy with this change in ports (also said port times may change) and will have to wait and see what cabin I get assigned and if it's not acceptable I'll make a decision on what to do.

Which ship is this on?

2 hours ago, compozer said:

Yes, the Sapphire was scheduled to stop in Ketchikan but we have been switched to the Royal instead and it will not be docking there.  It will go to Victoria instead.

Folks are obviously discussing a couple of different cruises here. Our cruise - May 2nd - is docking at Ketchikan a day earlier than originally planned and then skipping Prince Rupert for an extra day of "scenic cruising".

VOYAGE REDEPLOYMENT - SAPPHIRE PRINCESS
Please be advised that due to deployment changes, your voyage will now sail on Royal Princess rather than Sapphire Princess. Additionally, we will no longer call to Prince Rupert, and will instead conduct scenic cruising in Endicott Arm on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. To accommodate this change, the call to Ketchikan will now take place on Wednesday, May 11, and additional port times will be amended.

10 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Pretty much all the balconies are smaller. A few exceptions here and there with some angled balconies being a bit larger. On most they are so narrow you have to angle your chair to sit down and not smash your knees. Of course the suites are a different story.

Most full suites on the sides of the ship have the same narrow depth of balcony as the non-suites.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Folks are obviously discussing a couple of different cruises here. Our cruise - May 2nd - is docking at Ketchikan a day earlier than originally planned and then skipping Prince Rupert for an extra day of "scenic cruising".

VOYAGE REDEPLOYMENT - SAPPHIRE PRINCESS
Please be advised that due to deployment changes, your voyage will now sail on Royal Princess rather than Sapphire Princess. Additionally, we will no longer call to Prince Rupert, and will instead conduct scenic cruising in Endicott Arm on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. To accommodate this change, the call to Ketchikan will now take place on Wednesday, May 11, and additional port times will be amended.

Yeah, our email makes no mention of any port or time changes for our July 2nd sailing, just that we're being moved over to Royal. It also says our fare and promotions are protected. Hopefully, that remains the case when we get our new confirmation in the coming days.

I do wonder why some itineraries would substitute Victoria for Ketchikan and not others. Maybe due to tides?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

Yeah, our email makes no mention of any port or time changes for our July 2nd sailing, just that we're being moved over to Royal. It also says our fare and promotions are protected. Hopefully, that remains the case when we get our new confirmation in the coming days.

I do wonder why some itineraries would substitute Victoria for Ketchikan and not others. Maybe due to tides?

Ours on July 9th did not mention any other changes.  The substituting Victoria for Ketchikan would definitely be a deal breaker for us and hopefully it stays as is.  We picked very specifically for the ship and ports.  Our whole ordeal like many started in 2020 with cancellation and then 2021 with Princess just illiminating the Sapphire.  We are hoping to see Alaska in 2022.  Keeping my fingers crossed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Ours on July 9th did not mention any other changes.  The substituting Victoria for Ketchikan would definitely be a deal breaker for us and hopefully it stays as is.  We picked very specifically for the ship and ports.  Our whole ordeal like many started in 2020 with cancellation and then 2021 with Princess just illiminating the Sapphire.  We are hoping to see Alaska in 2022.  Keeping my fingers crossed

This will be our third Alaskan cruise, second with Princess. Glacier Bay was our main motivation for booking with Princess again. A second chance to see Hubbard Glacier was an added bonus. We've been to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan twice, so losing Ketchikan, if it came to that, might not be a deal breaker for us. But I'm not sure. It would definitely be something we'd have to think about.

7 hours ago, hapster85 said:

We have a back to back (Northern and Southern) in August and again no mention of any itinerary change

5 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

This is the 4th ship my May 2021 AK cruise (originally  booked in 2020 and now moved to 2022) has been on. Personally I want the smaller ship....and Ketchikan which has been dropped....

We booked our May 21, 2022 Alaska cruise using the future cruise credits from our previously cancelled cruise (early 2020).  I wonder if they will extend the timeframe to use the future cruise credits farther into 2022 or into 2023?  Our TA told us as long as we booked a cruise and sailed before June we would not lose them.

12 hours ago, WillCruiseForMoney said:

We had a side suite booked on Sapphire for next September.  Much of the reason we book a suite is for the large balcony. Looking at the balcony pix, if that's what we end with on the Royal, we will just cancel. 

Tiny balconies on Royal Princess, we were on her in 2018, British Isles. Give me ye olde Grand Class ships anytime, at least they have bigger balconies and a walk around promenade deck !!

I am not a fan of Royal Class ships, having been on Royal and Majestic.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

According to the map posted for the Royal Princess cruises, she will sail to the west of Vancouver island.

Can you provide a link to this? Royal's route isn't showing up in my account, or when searching for an Alaska ship for 2022 on the Princess website for me.

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Can you provide a link to this? Royal's route isn't showing up in my account, or when searching for an Alaska ship for 2022 on the Princess website for me.

It will not show up on the Princess site yet as they are in the process of moving everyone over. 

15 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

It will not show up on the Princess site yet as they are in the process of moving everyone over. 

12 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

According to the map posted for the Royal Princess cruises, she will sail to the west of Vancouver island.

That is exactly why we are asking the question, Cali Viajera is refering to a map showing the Royal going to the west when for the rest of us it isn't showing on the website 

• Like 1

That is exactly why we are asking the question, Cali Viajera is refering to a map showing the Royal going to the west when for the rest of us it isn't showing on the website 

Princess shows the Majestic going west of Vancouver Island.  The Royal is in the same class as the Majestic.  2 and 2, no?

Edited by PACD_JG

29 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Princess shows the Majestic going west of Vancouver Island.  The Royal is in the same class as the Majestic.  2 and 2, no?

14 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Discovery does inside passage and it is Royal class also ?? You know what they say about assumptions 🙂  It would be most disappointing if that adjustment also happens.