Sapphire Princess 2022 deployment?!

hapster85

2 hours ago, GVcruiser said:

Beavismom,

We we’re also hoping to switch to the Grand with price protection. Our travel agent said Princess said we have to wait until new cabins were assigned on the Royal. Did you talk to Princess directly or did you go through a travel agent? Any additional information you can provide would be appreciated.

I spoke directly with Princess, both by chat and by phone.  Although I hadn't received the email yet, the new cabin info was available for my cruise.  They emailed me the new booking number yesterday along with the cabin assignment. I was welcome to move to the Grand, but at today's prices.  Maybe you will have better luck having a travel agent.  

3 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Beavismom,

I'm on the 06/22/22 cruise, haven't decided what to do yet.  But curious, why does the Royal not work for you but the Grand does?

It is an issue with the much smaller balconies and the 1000+ additional passengers.  Those will both be issues for people in our party.  We researched and chose the Sapphire specifically to have a smaller ship with larger balconies.  We would have been satisfied to move to the Grand, sailing a few days earlier, but they wouldn't honor the price from our original booking.

8 minutes ago, beavismom said:

It is an issue with the much smaller balconies and the 1000+ additional passengers.  Those will both be issues for people in our party.  We researched and chose the Sapphire specifically to have a smaller ship with larger balconies.  We would have been satisfied to move to the Grand, sailing a few days earlier, but they wouldn't honor the price from our original booking.

Thanks.  I purposely booked a mini-suite on the Sapphire because of the larger balcony (I was okay with being exposed to those above us), the smaller ship, and the fact that we would sail east of Vancouver Island through Johnstone Strait.  I've yet to get a room assignment but I'm starting to have my doubts if I want to sail on the Royal.

4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Beavismom,

I'm on the 06/22/22 cruise, haven't decided what to do yet.  But curious, why does the Royal not work for you but the Grand does?

The Royal is a much larger ship and  many of us prefer the grand class size ships.  However we like the b2b cruises from Vancouver to Whittier and back.  Plus the Grand has no Skywalkers and is a little beat up in my opinion

You Alaska people have a different situation, because they are keeping the same or close to the same dates.  Us Hawaii people instead of just changing the ship , they are also drastically  changing the dates, they are offering.  At least they are not giving you early December or mid January, like they are us. With no indoor pool, also due to different ship.

And I found one date I can live with, but the price increase is $1650.00

more.  For both of us. 
Princess doesn’t care, they want to increase the fare.

Grace

• Like 1

Can't wait to see what cabin we are assigned on Royal. We booked a Lido Deck Balcony cabin almost all the way aft on Sapphire. We love the extra big half-covered balconies on Lido Deck on the Grand Class ships. I'm guessing we will be assigned a balcony cabin but who knows where it will be located and, of course, the balcony will be minuscule. <sigh...>

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Just to update, got a follow up call from Princess due to the cancellation.  They are going to see if they can get Princess to honor the price/promotion we had for a cruise on the Grand.  No guarantees, but they are at least doing more follow up.  I will let you know what I hear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GVcruiser said:

Beavismom,

We we’re also hoping to switch to the Grand with price protection. Our travel agent said Princess said we have to wait until new cabins were assigned on the Royal. Did you talk to Princess directly or did you go through a travel agent? Any additional information you can provide would be appreciated.

I wouldn't hold my breath on switching to Grand without rebooking and losing price protection. The dates we looked at were very full already, so they really have no incentive to move you without repricing.

Edited by hapster85

39 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath on switching to Grand without rebooking and losing price protection. The dates we looked at were very full already, so they really have no incentive to move you without repricing.

I don't doubt that.  I was already told no and have cancelled the booking.  It was a done deal as far as I was concerned.  They called me and were very clear that there is no guarantee Princess will honor my price, but they would check.  I'm no worse off for them checking and if I get lucky and they honor it, all the better for me.  Meanwhile, I'm making plans for an alternate vacation.

Also to me, in BOOK.PRINCESS she appeared as a ship, Royal ...
but i can't manage the booking .. they are updating.

Your next cruise is in 331 days
14 Day | Voyage of the Glaciers Grand Adventure
Ship: Royal Princess
Vancouver, Canada
Departure Date: Aug 06, 2022

Greeting everyone! 

Couple of questions:  Recently on CC someone posted a list of Princess Ships going into dry dock.  That list showed the Royal’s scheduled for dry dock (12 days) in Singapore, October 3-15, 2021.  Any idea what’s schedule to be change, updated, installed, beside “normal” maintenance?  

If the changes/updates are significant -- will that change your decision on the Redeployed to the Royal from Sapphire?    John

John - even refurbished we would not choose the Royal for Alaska cruising.  While the covered balconies are nice, most people try to be on-deck for this scenic-intensive itinerary.  Although a huge ship, our opinion based on past Royal cruises is that these ships don’t have adequate outdoor viewing space for the passengers, as it’s restricted primarily to the top few decks.  Too many people vying for railing space to see the sights.  We only book - what are now - smaller Princess ships with their greater viewing options.  Love Royal for Caribbean, but not Alaska. Personal preference, that’s all.

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

We only book - what are now - smaller Princess ships with their greater viewing options.  Love Royal for Caribbean, but not Alaska. Personal preference, that’s all.

I agree.  I dislike the huge ships.   Our Alaska land/cruise for 2020 was on the Pacific Princess - an aft wrap around balcony.   So upset they sold it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dalsnibba said:

Also to me, in BOOK.PRINCESS she appeared as a ship, Royal ...
but i can't manage the booking .. they are updating.

Your next cruise is in 331 days
14 Day | Voyage of the Glaciers Grand Adventure
Ship: Royal Princess
Vancouver, Canada
Departure Date: Aug 06, 2022

Us as well. Our booking at the high-level now shows the Royal Princes but when we link in, nothing but a blank page. At least our EZ Air bookings still show on the airline websites...

38 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Us as well. Our booking at the high-level now shows the Royal Princes but when we link in, nothing but a blank page. At least our EZ Air bookings still show on the airline websites...

Our flights still show on the airline website as well, but I just received an email from Princess, with what I presume is our new booking number, asking if we needed to book flights. Gives me pause, but I know they're still working on it, so no panic mode yet. Lol

I just got an email from Princess giving me my new booking number and inviting me to book EZ Air. HOWEVER, neither the booking number nor the EZ Air link actually work.  You also cannot manage your cruise yet.  They really haven't thought through that this just causes more confusion and potential calls. I would do an online chat but I can never seem to find it when I want it on their website.

PS By the way, I already had airfare booked but who knows where it went, because I can't see it....

Edited by mtnlvr53

17 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

John - anche ristrutturato non sceglieremmo il Royal per la crociera in Alaska. Mentre i balconi coperti sono belli, la maggior parte delle persone cerca di essere sul ponte per questo itinerario panoramico. Sebbene sia una nave enorme, la nostra opinione basata sulle precedenti crociere Royal è che queste navi non hanno uno spazio di osservazione all'aperto adeguato per i passeggeri, poiché è limitato principalmente ai pochi ponti più alti. Troppe persone in lizza per lo spazio della ringhiera per vedere i luoghi. Prenotiamo solo - quelle che sono ora - navi Princess più piccole con le loro maggiori opzioni di visualizzazione. Ama Royal per i Caraibi, ma non per l'Alaska. Preferenza personale, tutto qui.

I also agree.
It is precisely the type of ship that, for me, is not suitable for very scenic itineraries, too closed, without promenade deck, and few accesses to the outside, and too large, with consequent change of route in some situations and too many people .
I have not had direct experience on royal, but before choosing a cruise I try to read up on everything.
The biggest ship I've ever been on was Msc Meraviglia (167 600 tsl, 316 mt x 43 mt x, 5700 max passengers)
beautiful but too big, few accesses to the outside and too many people.
I prefer a panamax class, like Carnival's Spirit class (I've been on the Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea).
In August I tried Msc Seaside and Costa Firenze, slightly smaller than Meraviglia, but with many accesses to the sea, external decks, very beautiful.

18 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

John - even refurbished we would not choose the Royal for Alaska cruising.  While the covered balconies are nice, most people try to be on-deck for this scenic-intensive itinerary.  Although a huge ship, our opinion based on past Royal cruises is that these ships don’t have adequate outdoor viewing space for the passengers, as it’s restricted primarily to the top few decks.  Too many people vying for railing space to see the sights.  We only book - what are now - smaller Princess ships with their greater viewing options.  Love Royal for Caribbean, but not Alaska. Personal preference, that’s all.

While I can understand people wanting smaller ships for their Alaska cruise, we did Alaska on the Royal just before shut down. We never had a problem getting a good spot on the outside decks, despite the ship being at capacity. There are plenty of viewing spots and we were surprised how easy it was to get a good viewing area, after reading negative comments on this site pre cruise.

There is a outside deck area on deck 7 where we were often one of about 10 people on it. A great, and generally unknown viewing area.

• Like 4

Did anyone use their future cruise credits for this cruise?  Ours was going to expire (April 2020 cruise) in May of 2022.  I wonder if we cancel if the credits will be extended.  No notice on cabin, but like others have said, the airfare is gone, has Royal as the ship but the link doesn't open.

The Sapphire Jun 18, 2022 is my third attempt at an Alaskan cruise/tour, the first was 2020 on the Royal, 2021 on the Grand.  My second and third attempts were on smaller ships based upon others experiences.  I could accept the switch to Royal but am not pleased with swapping out Ketchikan for Victoria.  Seriously considering pushing the 2022 trip till 2023.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, WVHillbilly said:

The Sapphire Jun 18, 2022 is my third attempt at an Alaskan cruise/tour, the first was 2020 on the Royal, 2021 on the Grand.  My second and third attempts were on smaller ships based upon others experiences.  I could accept the switch to Royal but am not pleased with swapping out Ketchikan for Victoria.  Seriously considering pushing the 2022 trip till 2023.

Our cruise is set for May 2nd. I can't get to the Summary page but, if I change the word "summary" to "itinerary" in the url I can get to that and other pages. For my cruise I don't show much of an itinerary change and it certainly doesn't skip Ketchikan. Of course it's possible that Princess just hasn't updated this info yet. I really wish they would get this figured out and settled.

I also notice that my new booking shows a "category upgrade" from  BF to a BD cabin. I find that odd as I was originally booked in a BD cabin. (It's hard to figure out how they could think a cabin almost all the way aft - C726 - is a "BF" which is a forward cabin.) The new booking actually shows the exact same cabin number on the new ship. I have to wonder if that will change when I can see the Summary page.

image.thumb.png.2065f684ed1ee88e975d13e410f8827c.png

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Our cruise is set for May 2nd. I can't get to the Summary page but, if I change the word "summary" to "itinerary" in the url I can get to that and other pages. For my cruise I don't show much of an itinerary change and it certainly doesn't skip Ketchikan. Of course it's possible that Princess just hasn't updated this info yet. I really wish they would get this figured out and settled.

I also notice that my new booking shows a "category upgrade" from  BF to a BD cabin. I find that odd as I was originally booked in a BD cabin. (It's hard to figure out how they could think a cabin almost all the way aft - C726 - is a "BF" which is a forward cabin.) The new booking actually shows the exact same cabin number on the new ship. I have to wonder if that will change when I can see the Summary page.

image.thumb.png.2065f684ed1ee88e975d13e410f8827c.png

When I looked they changed my vista aft suite to an S5 suite which is a forward suite.  I booked my Dolphin Vista suite as soon as the itinerary opened up to get one of the coveted dolphin deck aft balconies. I was informed they were going to keep people where they were on the ship but it appears that is not the case.

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thank you for that tip!  I was able to use the links from there to see what our cabin assignment is on Royal for 8/27/22 sailing.  We were originally booked in an oceanview obstructed and are now in a balcony obstructed, but the document that I see now also reflects a huge price increase,  so I'll wait until we get the official email and see what it says.