Room swap

SSFun

We booked a regular aft-facing balcony room for my mother-in-law (who is handicapped) because the handicapped aft-facing balcony on the floor we are on was not available and we need her to be near us. Later, my sister-in-law and her husband decided to go on the cruise with us. At the time they booked, the handicapped aft-facing balcony on our floor had become available so we booked it. Sister-in-law is also handicapped but doesn't need the wheel-in shower that MIL could really benefit from. So, here's my question, does anyone know if those 2 rooms can just be swapped? We do not want to release the rooms and then try to rebook them as there is a good chance someone else would pick one or both of them up when they get released. Anyone else ever need to do this type of thing? Any suggestions? So far, I have not been able to get ahold of a rep that can help us. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, SSFun said:

We booked a regular aft-facing balcony room for my mother-in-law (who is handicapped) because the handicapped aft-facing balcony on the floor we are on was not available and we need her to be near us. Later, my sister-in-law and her husband decided to go on the cruise with us. At the time they booked, the handicapped aft-facing balcony on our floor had become available so we booked it. Sister-in-law is also handicapped but doesn't need the wheel-in shower that MIL could really benefit from. So, here's my question, does anyone know if those 2 rooms can just be swapped? We do not want to release the rooms and then try to rebook them as there is a good chance someone else would pick one or both of them up when they get released. Anyone else ever need to do this type of thing? Any suggestions? So far, I have not been able to get ahold of a rep that can help us. Thanks!

Swapping may or may not be possible.  You'd have to call and find out.  But, even if you don't switch them prior to the cruise you can go to guest services once on the ship.  If everyone that is involved in the 2 cabins go to the desk, they will generate key cards that allow you to go in the other cabins.  It's done all the time.  So while your onboard account says one cabin number on it, anyone can actually sleep/live in either cabin.  Since your all family it's easily done.  You may have to carry 2 cards, however.  One for charging expenses to the right account and getting on/off ship - and one to serve as a key to the cabin.  You might clue the cabin steward(s) in on what you've done, but they really don't care.  What you are doing is permitted.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

We have six children and when we used to cruise as a family we would have to book 1 parent plus 3 children in each room because the rule is that one adult must be booked in each room.  When we would get on board we would just go to guest services and just rearrange the cards so that everyone could access both rooms.  The actual sleeping arrangements are then up to you.  In our case, it was Mom and Dad with the two youngest and the four older kids across the hall or next door.  Guest Services is used to this.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, Gatordad1967 said:

what did your travel agent say?

We booked directly through NCL and we had one agent say he could fix it but needed to wait until Monday. Didn't get fixed so we called on Tuesday and the agent we talked to then said it couldn't be done.

17 hours ago, SSFun said:

We booked directly through NCL and we had one agent say he could fix it but needed to wait until Monday. Didn't get fixed so we called on Tuesday and the agent we talked to then said it couldn't be done.

So you got two completely different answers from the NCL reps?  How does that happen?

Yes, do it on board, as already mentioned.

It's not like college decades ago; they don't do surprise "bed checks".  

😉

We've had a crib place in two different cabins, so a toddler could sleep in either place, for example.  (Just one wee one in the group.). All four adults had a card for each cabin/suite, as they weren't internally connecting.

Assuming that you want to keep track of "who charged what", you'll want to have more than one key-card, one that will allow charges plus opening one door, and the other that will only open "the other door".  Guest services will need permission from someone in each cabin, of course.

We marked each with some sort of indelible marker, with initials of whoever was actually in each place (NOT cabin/suite numbers in case a card is lost).

If you want anything set up that isn't how it is already set up when you arrive (like the "wrong" cabin ended up with the two single beds instead of one big bed), just ask your cabin steward shortly after you board, and they'll take care of it. If there are two different stewards involved, do speak with both of them so one doesn't undo what the other just did!  (If it takes extra time/effort for them, we always tip, but we like to tip whenever service is very good in general.  That type of service is always very much appreciated.)

We also found that for any type of special request, what worked really well was to leave a written note where it would definitely be found when the cabin is made up.  That's easier than hoping they'll remember what you asked.  They have many other pax to help, obviously.

GC

On 9/1/2021 at 12:11 PM, SSFun said:

It shouldn't be NECESSARY but might be worthwhile, especially since the price of many cruises has dropped from, say, a few months ago.  As someone posted, you can get key cards for others' cabins.  I've done that before.