How much layover in Vancouver (YVR)?

phabric

We are Canadians returning from Anchorage (ANC) - Vancouver (YVR) - Toronto (YYZ) on a Saturday Labour Day weekend.

I have a choice of -

ANC - 16:10 - YVR - 20:17 (LAYOVER 2hr3m)- YVR - 22:20 - YYZ - 05:41

or

ANC - 16:10 - YVR - 20:17 (LAYOVER  3hr23m) -YVR - 23:40 - YYZ - 07:08

or

ANC - 16:10 - YVR - 20:17 (LAYOVER  4hr23m) - YVR - 00:40 - YYZ - 8:07

Which layover, should we take 2hr3m or 3hr23m or 4hr23m.

How much time do you need to go through Custom/Immigration in Vancouver?

Edited by phabric

Assuming that the equipment is all the same, I would be on the middle flight.

You already have 4 hours of time change into Toronto - no sense now arriving at 2am Alaska time.  And the last one puts excessive connection time.

Now, if you have significantly better equipment on one of the three YVR-YYZ flights, that would be different.  Whatever would be most conducive to good sleep would run to the top of my list.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Now, if you have significantly better equipment on one of the three YVR-YYZ flights, that would be different.  Whatever would be most conducive to good sleep would run to the top of my list.

From searching flights between YVR and YYZ next June, it looks like option 1 would be on a 787 Dreamliner, while the other 2 are on A321s. Which makes the first option a lot more attractive, especially if you're splurging for business class as that's the only flight with lie-flat seats in biz.

• Like 1

Depending on where your arrival gate is at Vancouver, it can be a long walk to get to Customs/Immigration.  Given the time of the year and the day of the week, the airport is likely going to be very busy.  I'd expect lengthy lines to get through C/I.  While it would be tempting to take Option 1 if the aircraft is a 787, but, could there be an equipment change between then and now?  Would the shorter layover be a stress producer if you began to run short on time to make your connecting flight?  

I'd choose Option 2.  

18 hours ago, phabric said:

I have a choice of -

ANC - 16:10 - YVR - 20:17 (LAYOVER 2hr3m)- YVR - 22:20 - YYZ - 05:41

2 hours is plenty of time for the transfer.  If, for some reason, things go a little sideways I'm sure Air Canada will squeeze you on to the next flight to YYZ.

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Some of us are late diners.  Besides, the OP is flying during the normal dinner hours.  Will dinner be served on their flight?  

From what I have read, on Air Canada you pay for food. We would get better food at the airport than the plane.

45 minutes ago, phabric said:

From what I have read, on Air Canada you pay for food. We would get better food at the airport than the plane.

You could fly business class and they'll feed you.  Or, you can stop by Tim Hortons in YVR and pick up a dozen doughnuts to go.  If quality of food is really a concern to you, I'd avoid eating anything until arriving at your final destination, making a quick trip to the grocery store and preparing your own meal.

• Haha 1

Anchorage to Toronto in business class is $1,588/pp for the 2hr3m layover and $1,257/pp for the 3hr23m layover.

There are 2-73yr ladies and a12yr.  I think we will need to eat since our last meal would have been breakfast on the ship before arriving in Toronto at 5:41am or 7:08am.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, phabric said:

There are 2-73yr ladies and a12yr.  I think we will need to eat since our last meal would have been breakfast on the ship before arriving in Toronto at 5:41am or 7:08am.

That was what I also was thinking when I posted my comment about having a late dinner.  It would be a long time between breakfast on your ship and breakfast when you arrive in Toronto.  The ladies probably could "do it".  The 12 year old will be wanting food (!) and a tummy full of Tim Horton's donuts (while tasty) may provide a "sugar high" that the ladies would probably prefer not endure.  

39 minutes ago, phabric said:

Anchorage to Toronto in business class is $1,588/pp for the 2hr3m layover and $1,257/pp for the 3hr23m layover.

Kinda pricey for some extra legroom and a rubber-chicken meal!!  If you're leaving ANC at 1610, plenty of opportunity to have something to eat beforehand.  Me, I'd gladly trade a sit-down meal in YVR at 2100 or so for a sandwich and getting on the earlier flight.  You'd know the needs of you and your travel companions better than me....

• Like 1

Coming from Anchorage to Vancouver, we will have to go through Canadian Custom/Immigration.

Presently, they are saying at Toronto airport there could be up to 3 hours wait to go through Covid procedures, Canadian Customs/Immigration from International flights.

I am wondering how long a wait there will be to go through since Vancouver airport is a busy airport.

50 minutes ago, phabric said:

Coming from Anchorage to Vancouver, we will have to go through Canadian Custom/Immigration.

Presently, they are saying at Toronto airport there could be up to 3 hours wait to go through Covid procedures, Canadian Customs/Immigration from International flights.

I am wondering how long a wait there will be to go through since Vancouver airport is a busy airport.

Well, are you wondering about what's happening now or are you speculating on a flight a year in the future?

My cruise is not until next year.  I am wondering if another big Canadian airport is having the same wait time like Toronto.

Next month I am able to book my EzAir for my Alaska cruise. 

Edited by phabric

19 hours ago, phabric said:

My cruise is not until next year.  I am wondering if another big Canadian airport is having the same wait time like Toronto.

Next month I am able to book my EzAir for my Alaska cruise. 

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Three hours would be safest with customs.

I agree with bennybear as to the time required for C/I.  Plan for longer; be thankful if it's less.  

None of us know what the situation will be in 2022.  The regulations/requirements seem to be changing daily.  In the United States, I am starting to read some speculation that Covid could turn out to be like the Spanish Flu that lasted two years and gradually was overcome.  I think Covid is going to be endemic for some time; gradually, we will learn better how to "live" with it without so many disruptions to our lives.  How this will impact the "hoops" one must jump through in order to be able to travel.....?